PDA

View Full Version : 12/29 report at irvine lake

jtvong
12-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Time of arrival: 11am
Location on lake: westside shore
Fish caught: 0
Baits used: night crawler, power bait, & trout worms
Equipments used: Shimano 6"0 rod(light weight) Shimano reel (FX 2500)
Line: power pros 10lb braid w/ 6lb Berkley fluorocarbon

When I arrived there it was extremely windy. First 2 cast had some nibbles but then after that it just died out. So I pretty much skunked today. Hopefully next time it would be a little better.

Oh I also received a box of night crawler from someone I was fishing nearby.
-if you see this thank you very much again.

Piss on Myspace
12-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about the skunk but it sounds like you had a fun time nonetheless.

You had the right baits and location but the 11am start time & 6lb leader may have been the culprit. Even though you were using fluoro, when still water trout fishing, I highly suggest 4# or less. Trout can be line shy at times which may have been the problem. I use 2lb izor when using jigs and tw's. Rarely do I fish lures, but when I do I'll bump it up to 4lb...hope this helps. Tight lines and gluck

GhettoBasser
12-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about the skunk but it sounds like you had a fun time nonetheless.

You had the right baits and location but the 11am start time & 6lb leader may have been the culprit. Even though you were using fluoro, when still water trout fishing, I highly suggest 4# or less. Trout can be line shy at times which may have been the problem. I use 2lb izor when using jigs and tw's. Rarely do I fish lures, but when I do I'll bump it up to 4lb...hope this helps. Tight lines and gluck

Great advice

zzzfish
12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
This is too late to do you much good now but maybe it'll help you out in the future...

I was out on Saturday and we killed it. Here's what was working with us. We were using 2lb line or 2lb leader. I tried using 4lb on one rod but it wasn't touched at all. We used various baits to test the water and the clear winner was night crawler/gulp pinch night crawler. Micetails and trout worm works too but they love the crawler more. I found that a long leader was the key on that day and to keep your line tight with the weight at full contact on the bottom and the bait floating 2ft+ above-I was using split shot 3ft above the bait. Location was also key, there are certain west shore spots that perform better than other. I'm sure you'll find out exactly where based on the commotions that were made.

Another key factor is getting there early. Trout tends to bite very well in the morning with peak time generally run from 6:45-10:30.

Good luck next time!

Jake

jtvong
12-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice zzzfish. I will give it a try the next time I head out to irvine lake.

hookerz
12-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes, pleeeaase keep using that 2 and 4 pound test line. I'm getting lots of nice fish with 2 and 4 pound line trailing from their mouths.
thanks guys :Razz:
jt - Try getting there before 11am. No wonder you didn't catch anything, you missed the best time of day to fish. You've heard the story of the early bird getting the worm, same thing here.

jtvong
01-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Hahahaha got it hookz.