PDA

View Full Version : Don't ruin your waders!

bachiboy
12-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I posted this in the "Basic Wader Repair" sticky in the Surf section but thought I'd post it here as well.

Hope that this helps someone out there to not make the mistake I did.

I had some leaks at the seams of my Caddis breathable waders. I used Aquaseal to seal the leaks but kept finding myself soaked after sessions in the surf. I was filling the waders with water to find the leaks...BIG MISTAKE! I kept getting leaks and on my last check, I left a leg filled with water for 20 minutes. ALL the seams were showing signs of leaking! :Shocked: Caddis was very helpful and are going to replace the waders, but the woman on the phone said that by filling the waders with water, I had blown out the seams and ruined the waders. If you're going to check for leaks, she said to fill the waders with air and dunk them in water. Filling them with water causes too much pressure which will open the seams beyond repair. Arthur had mentioned another method of finding leaks that uses a product of Simms that you spray on the suspected area and black spots will form that show you where there are holes. I did a quick search on the web and found that you can use rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle with the same effect. So, lesson learned, thankfully to no great cost.:Rolls Eyes::Embarrassed: It took three tubes of Aquaseal and a lot of wasted water, but I guess I finally found out where the leak was...in my head!:ROFL:

Good luck and happy fishing!

Ifishtoolittle
12-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Good tip Don. I'll definitely keep this in mind if I ever have a run in with wader leakage.

ErikAllen17
12-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up... I have a (semi new) pair of Caddis breathable waders as well. I'll be sure to not make the same mistake if I sense a leak.

exfactor
12-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up... I have a (semi new) pair of Caddis breathable waders as well. I'll be sure to not make the same mistake if I sense a leak.

a better way is to take your shop vac, and put to hose on so it blows air, instead of sucking air. a wash cloth with soap rubbed over it as you hold a leg with your other hand enclosed around the vacuum line will show you the leaks quickly

DockRat
12-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up... if I sense a leak.
X2. If I sense a leak I'll whip it out and take care of business.

one long cast
12-27-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm with D/R on that one, sometimes the pressure is painstaking.