PDA

View Full Version : Triple A! AAA worth adding the trailer tow option!

flyhigh123
12-26-2013, 11:48 AM
I bought triple a, and added their $37 for 4 trailer tows up to 100 miles.

Last friday, on the way home at night, my trailer tongue snapped on the freeway. The trailer slammed into the highway concrete and sparks flew everywhere.

Luckily no one was hurt and no damage to my car or boat, just the trailer.

I had AAA with the trailer tow option. It was a pain in the *** to get it towed, but it didn't cost me a penny. I Towed the boat at night to my house, and the next morning, i called them again to tow it to the boat repair shop.

This alone would have probably cost me an arm and a leg for 2 tows with their extra large Medium duty tow trucks as the smaller one didnt work.

If you tow your boat a lot, and you already have AAA, consider the $37 option. It covers 100 miles and 4 tows a year.

billystein
12-26-2013, 12:34 PM
i got towing from boat us when i signed up for vessel assist. i fried a bearing on the way home from ventura and they towed me home. i would think that aaa would have a much larger network but boat us was pretty cheap and i'm very glad i had something.

eah
12-27-2013, 09:50 AM
A few years ago, I had the same problem, snapped tongue. The tongue snapped as I exited the freeway headed to Davis. I had AAA RV towing, so I called. The wrecker came after about a half hour, but the driver said the boat / trailer was not covered under RV, so the fee for Long Beach to Norco (about 50 miles) was $500. Glup, I then vaguely remembered something about land based towing through my BoatUs coverage. So I called BoatUs, they sent a wrecker, and except for the Tip, my tow was free. AAA is good, and so is BoatUS.

flyhigh123
12-27-2013, 10:13 AM
A few years ago, I had the same problem, snapped tongue. The tongue snapped as I exited the freeway headed to Davis. I had AAA RV towing, so I called. The wrecker came after about a half hour, but the driver said the boat / trailer was not covered under RV, so the fee for Long Beach to Norco (about 50 miles) was $500. Glup, I then vaguely remembered something about land based towing through my BoatUs coverage. So I called BoatUs, they sent a wrecker, and except for the Tip, my tow was free. AAA is good, and so is BoatUS.

agreed! Just having any tow insurance is great, esp for those with older trailers. AAA may have updated their RV/trailer policy as now it specifically says any trailer and not just RV. I would assume if your boat is big, the AAA may not cover it, but i think it would as when i spoke to the towing company, they also had a big tow truck for big tows like big rigs etc.

anyways, glad to hear u saved 500 bucks!

one long cast
12-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I also have the RV-M/C coverage and they said it would also cover towing of the boat with the trailer if removed from the auto. with a 100 mile limit. This is with the premier coverage.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I just got mine yesterday. Its have RV towing too for my RV.
I bought triple a, and added their $37 for 4 trailer tows up to 100 miles.

Last friday, on the way home at night, my trailer tongue snapped on the freeway. The trailer slammed into the highway concrete and sparks flew everywhere.

Luckily no one was hurt and no damage to my car or boat, just the trailer.

I had AAA with the trailer tow option. It was a pain in the *** to get it towed, but it didn't cost me a penny. I Towed the boat at night to my house, and the next morning, i called them again to tow it to the boat repair shop.

This alone would have probably cost me an arm and a leg for 2 tows with their extra large Medium duty tow trucks as the smaller one didnt work.

If you tow your boat a lot, and you already have AAA, consider the $37 option. It covers 100 miles and 4 tows a year.