PDA

View Full Version : Lake Piru quagga mussel

skiper
12-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Quagga mussels found at Lake Piru. Castaic and Pyramid no longer accepting tags from Piru.

HawgZWylde
12-24-2013, 03:32 PM
If Piru is positive I'll put money on it Castaic and Pyramid are now too. It just hasn't manifested itself enough yet to be detectable...

allIdoIsfish
12-25-2013, 08:59 AM
so is there still inspections at piru or is it an exit inspection only, like skinner?

drifter023
12-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Just bought my boat tags cost extra for the new Quagga mussels tag. They said if you do not have on boat will not be allowed on fresh water lakes.
So we will see what that means now for inspection tags from lake to lake.

HawgZWylde
12-25-2013, 12:34 PM
That extra cost for the Quagga tag will have nothing to do with Quagga inspections. It's just another fee (tax) for more government revenue. All boats will still be inspected either before entering a non infested lake, or leaving an infested lake...

drifter023
12-25-2013, 01:04 PM
That extra cost for the Quagga tag will have nothing to do with Quagga inspections. It's just another fee (tax) for more government revenue. All boats will still be inspected either before entering a non infested lake, or leaving an infested lake...

Yes you are right was just hoping they will all start honoring tags from one lake to another. But I do not seeing that happening either.:Crying:

etucker1959
12-25-2013, 01:43 PM

That does bring up a good question, is the State of California going to use the Quagga money on some sort of Mussel research or something? If so exactly what are they going to do???? A little help from anyone out there!!!!!

flyhigh123
12-25-2013, 01:45 PM
so if all cali lakes have quagga, is that the end of inspections.... lol

drifter023
12-25-2013, 01:58 PM
so if all cali lakes have quagga, is that the end of inspections.... lol

You would think but being in California once they get money coming in they never give it up. I fish Havasu a lot they are full of them and no inspections any where there.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/mussels1.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/01drifter/media/mussels1.jpg.html)

fishfinder
05-18-2014, 11:39 AM

those inspection stickers are a ripoff. what if you only go in the ocean. yes they still make you buy them.

Harley51
05-18-2014, 02:03 PM
If you only fish the ocean their not required. Only required if you fish fresh water.

fishfinder
05-19-2014, 10:33 AM
when i got my boat registration, that was not an option. it was rolled into the price of registration.

Harley51
05-20-2014, 02:54 PM
What are quagga and zebra mussels?

Dreissena rostriformis bugensis (quagga) and Dreissena polymorpha (zebra) are two species of non-native freshwater mussels from Eurasia that
can disrupt the ecological balance of waterbodies and reduce their
recreational value, and impede distribution of water supply systems by encrusting water intakes, pipes, and other structures. To minimize further impacts to the state it iimportant to prevent them from being spread.

What is the Quagga and Zebra Mussel Infestation Prevention Fee and how is the money going to be used?

In September 2012,Governor Brown signed into law legislation(AB2443)that requires the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to collect an additional fee on behalf of the Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) on vessels used in freshwater and subject to registration in the State of California.
Proof of fee payment will be demonstrated by display of a unique sticker alongside the
registration sticker. The fee will fund prevention programs at uninfested reservoirs open to the public for recreational activities. These grants will help water managers develop prevention programs, implement programs, or expand upon an existing program.
For more information on the Quagga and Zebra Mussel
Infestation Prevention Fee and the local assistance grant program, visit
DBW’s website
What is a Prevention Program?

A prevention program, per the Fish and Game Code
Section 2302, is a program intended to prevent the
introduction of quagga and zebra mussels.
Section 2302 applies to entities that own or manage reservoirs open to the public. Prevention programs must include an assessment of the vulnerability of the reservoir for the introduction of mussels, public education, monitoring for mussels, and management of the recreational activities allowed at the reservoir.

Does this new fee allow me to bypass watercraft inspections and fees at my local waterbody?

No. Payment of the Quagga and Zebra Mussel Infestation Prevention Fee does not
entitle vessels to bypass inspections or fees for inspections conducted by individual water managers. Please contact the particular waterbody directly for information regarding their program and requirements prior to your visit.
Click here to view watercraft inspection programs in California and their contact information.

Do I need to pay the fee if I only boat in marine waters?

No. Boats used only in marine waters are not subject to the fee. For the purposes of this law marine waters are defined as California coast and bay waters, which include
Suisun Bay. Marine waters do not include inland waterways, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, wetlands or the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

Do I need to pay the fee if I only boat at one waterbody or only in waterbodies already infested with quagga and zebra mussels?

Yes. All boaters in California that boat in freshwater, whether they only boat in a single body of water or in infested bodies of water, are obligated to pay the new mussel fee.
As a boater, what can I do to avoid spreading mussels?
You can prevent spreading quagga and zebra mussels by remembering to always Clean, Drain, and Dry your boat after every use. For detailed information on how to Clean, Drain, and Dry your boat, review the What Boaters Can Do to Help
and the Boat Cleaning Guide Book documents available on the CDFW website.

fishfinder
05-20-2014, 08:22 PM
You know what my memory has been slipping in my golden years. I think i got the quagga sticker at the lake when i paid for my membership dues. Not with my registration. But i can always remember where i caught a fish.

BassinPLS
05-21-2014, 11:33 AM
The whole Mussel Inspection process is a waste of time and money. It is just another procedure where by the government can impose another regulation and taxes to fund enforcement.

I remember reading the Casitas Water District Board Meeting Minutes when they were considering closing Lake Casitas to private boats entirely. A State Fish & Game Scientist, (his name specifically not mentioned here), testified before the Board Members that banning private boat would NOT stop Quagga and Zebra Mussel Infestation. He went on to say the migratory water fowl, (diving ducks), pick the eggs up in their feathers and transport them from lake to lake!! Maybe DFG needs to start inspecting the water fowl before they are allowed to land on a non-infested body of water.

fishfinder
05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
the whole mussel inspection process is a waste of time and money. It is just another procedure where by the government can impose another regulation and taxes to fund enforcement.

I remember reading the casitas water district board meeting minutes when they were considering closing lake casitas to private boats entirely. A state fish & game scientist, (his name specifically not mentioned here), testified before the board members that banning private boat would not stop quagga and zebra mussel infestation. He went on to say the migratory water fowl, (diving ducks), pick the eggs up in their feathers and transport them from lake to lake!! Maybe dfg needs to start inspecting the water fowl before they are allowed to land on a non-infested body of water.

like .........