PDA

View Full Version : 12 21 13 Saturday Dink Carnage

DMS
12-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Figured everyone else was off to Castaic and the wind, the crowds and the dinks... and the further drive would leave Pyramid quite lonely and quiet. We got there at 7:05 and no line at all... only a couple yaks getting launched at the ramp. Wasted no time in launching and after a quick look around the marina and a look to see if baldy was home (they were out), headed to the B&W spot. We spent from then until around 1 or so with wide open dinks.

It was impossible to get our 4 rods in the water as the ferocious dinks were relentless. I was trying to keep a line or two on the bottom to get a big cat or two, but that was very difficult. We did catch the smallest striper I have ever seen... Lulu said it was "very cute". We ended up getting one good one at 4.25# FINALLY!!! We got a few that were a little larger and finally took 20 home for Chinese style whole fish for all our friends.

I cracked up when a new friend saw our basket of dinks and said "so bigg!!!!". LOL I pulled out the big one and the guy gasped! :)

So I filleted the big one and Lulu cooked it our new way (we picked off how they made the fish at the restaurant at the East Cape along with one of her wonderful Chinese pork dishes (rice powdered pork) with some friends. We had a couple dinks for dinner Chinese style (whole) last night!

Headed home and hit the highway at 2. No trout, no cats...

It was a very nice and peaceful day on the water and at least we got one nicer fish.

The only watercraft I saw all day were the 2 yaks, one jet lice skier and the sheriff on a single trip around the horn. Only one trailer was left at the lot when we pulled out.

DMS

PS, we caught at least 40-50 fish.

flyhigh123
12-23-2013, 04:28 PM
nice report... sometimes, lots of action is still fun ;)

trail blazer
12-23-2013, 04:51 PM
O yaaaaaaa,the better ones are there as you well know,,
Wtg

CAPT'N
12-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a beautiful day at the mid........

Happy Holidays,

Capt'n

fishinone
12-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I didn't know that you guys still fish!

Nice slay though!

DMS
12-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I didn't know that you guys still fish!

Nice slay though!

Yep... boat was in the shop, did an ocean trip and then some really nasty weather (especially wind) and spending some time at Pyramid. I was going to ask you if you got a new fish finder yet and if you have any questions or interest in info about the one we just got (the Lowrance HDS gen2 with structure scan). Work has been killer too... I'm working today.
We are planning on hitting it Saturday (but not sure which lake) depending on the wind!

fishinone
12-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I got the replacement fish finder last Saturday after fishing blind at Castaic with fishbones. We limited anyway but I can't help looking for it.

I'm planning to fish Castaic on Saturday.

DMS
12-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Is the wind supposed to let up? Still not sure if I will go to pyramid or castaic. What kind of finder did you get?

fishinone
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Is the wind supposed to let up? Still not sure if I will go to pyramid or castaic. What kind of finder did you get?

I just checked the reports for Saturday in Valencia and Gorman. Both said 5 mph ENE.

I got a Warranty replacement for the my Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. I had 3 days left on my warranty but the guy said they often honor them longer.

TroutOnly
12-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Way to slay dan,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,

DMS
12-26-2013, 09:01 PM
I just checked the reports for Saturday in Valencia and Gorman. Both said 5 mph ENE.

I got a Warranty replacement for the my Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. I had 3 days left on my warranty but the guy said they often honor them longer.

That beats the $$$$ I had to lay out for my unit with install. I am digging my new unit and just getting started with it.

DMS
12-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Way to slay dan,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,

Maybe I'll see you out there soon.

fishinone
12-27-2013, 08:25 AM
That beats the $$$$ I had to lay out for my unit with install. I am digging my new unit and just getting started with it.

I want to see it working. I haven't seen one actually working, just simulator and video.

DMS
12-27-2013, 10:19 AM
We will have to have you out on our boat again soon to give you a demo. I am still getting the hang of it and trying to decide if I want the Navionics chip or if the insight chip is good enough. I'm in new technology overload right now with a new phone, computer, recording software, fish finder, but am having fun figuring it all out.