PDA

View Full Version : Heading out to the Jewel tomorrow with new (to me) boat! and se if I get lucky.

castone001
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Got a, in great shape, 12' Gregor Welded Alum with a Honda 7.5 4stroke and one of the old school manual steer/drive minkota trolling motors. Boat belonged to a great ol friend who never used for ten years. I brought the motor to the shop and they went through it and ended being 200.00 for what he says is a bullet proof motor that will run all day on very little gas :)

Tomorrow is the maiden voyage at the Diamond unless for some reason i don't pass inspection :(, fingers crossed. jsut wanna take it out fish a little and see how it does.

I know its no fishing machine YET but hopefully it will turn into one :)

Thanks to all who post up reports and tips that I live off of, hopefully soon I will be able to actually add something :)

Surfnsnowboard3
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Got a, in great shape, 12' Gregor Welded Alum with a Honda 7.5 4stroke and one of the old school manual steer/drive minkota trolling motors. Boat belonged to a great ol friend who never used for ten years. I brought the motor to the shop and they went through it and ended being 200.00 for what he says is a bullet proof motor that will run all day on very little gas :)

Tomorrow is the maiden voyage at the Diamond unless for some reason i don't pass inspection :(, fingers crossed. jsut wanna take it out fish a little and see how it does.

I know its no fishing machine YET but hopefully it will turn into one :)

Thanks to all who post up reports and tips that I live off of, hopefully soon I will be able to actually add something :)

What are you fishing for ?

bassmeister
12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Good luck on your maiden voyage and have a safe one. Just make sure to check boat out before inspection and make sure all is dry. U probably don't have live wells so just check everything under seats gas can etc.
Take a couple of towels and even a roll of paper towels. I got turned out once before after sitting in line from 3:00 am till inspection and I drove out from Torrance apparently some left over water from the live well intake tube had some water in it and the ride out on the freeway caused a little water to come out into the live well, now I take a modified leaf blower and blow out all the intake lines and bilge pump lines to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Was able to salvage the day at Perris on a wide open red ear bite.

inlandghia
12-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Good luck !!! Go get'em!!!

EL JEFE
12-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Good luck castone001! Like it has been said, be sure boat is bone dry.

NOTE: Don't forget life vests, red ski flag, signal horn, boat and trailer registration, CF numbers with '13 tag, boat bailer/bilge pump to remove water (if no bilge pump, laundry detergent container, cut at angle at mouth area, works great as a bailer), throwable device (square seat cushion)....I think that about covers it.

Be safe out there and enjoy the jewel!

Pete Marino
12-20-2013, 08:45 PM
That boat will be just fine for you... Remember..its not how fast you get to a spot, its what you do once you get there... Good luck!!

Pete

Kojak5150
12-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Was just wondering if that was Chuck's old boat?????

castone001
12-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Didn't make it out yesterday after all UGH!! Trying to get out there today! Will update you all when i get back!

Thanks for the advice so far and nope wasn't Chuck's boat.

Also thinking to just troll around a little for some trout or if you have some advice for some trout hunting?

Kojak5150
12-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear that...Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the reply about my question.