PDA

View Full Version : Babies first day out

LOLO
12-20-2013, 01:02 PM
We'll I took what I was suggested to do And went on my first ever surf fishing trip. So I rig my rod with 10# invisabraid and a 10# flouro leader with a 1/2oz sinker and a camo worm and cast out to waves were kinda big but shore breaker and I was next to a jetty. I get to the eddy side and wing my bait out. We'll after about 15min of this I finally get bit and hard I set and drag starts going immediately and I get it in and to my surprise my first ever surf fish a 16in corbina. I start casting again and finally hit a Barred surf perch about 11in but fat I hit one more little guy and had to leave to pick up my niece but I am on my way back out do do it again. Thanks for all the pointers they helped out a lot

Sorry pics wouldn't upload I will figure it out later

jaggerbub
12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
My fist time on the surf was the best... One huge croaker after another on the 110 lc all night long. I thought, wow this is great. I'm coming back every weekend. Since then, it's been more stripes than anything else. Lol... Hook, line, and sinker!!! Glad you had a good session.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
12-20-2013, 01:30 PM
WTG to go LOLO.....its the best feeling getting into a fish for your fist time!!!! mine was a legal halibut from the surf!! good luck out there!

skunked4life
12-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Very Nice!

A winter corbina is rare. Good job and keep at it! Also, keep the reports coming!

skunked4life, aka Corproral Croaker, aka Ken

P.S. I would be careful with 10# if you decide to start slinging the LC.

fish_sauce
12-20-2013, 02:21 PM
LOLO,

Congrats on the successful outing. Wintertime corbinas can be hard to come by, especially on artificials.

Looking forward to more of your surf reports!

Andrew

LOLO
12-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the props. My afternoon session gave me the stripe I am humbled but I did learn something the spot I was working today is def a high tide spot with the way the surf was breaking. Maybe tomorrow morning will work out again gonna look at the tide chart now

ErikAllen17
12-20-2013, 04:26 PM
So you did get out today after all... next time, you'll have to hook up with us since you're gear is set now. Congrats on the bean... I have still yet to get one of those. They're such picky bastards! Glad you had a good first experience. Some people get discouraged when they get skunked. You'll have plenty of those days, so it's good it didn't bother you for the afternoon stripe!

Talk to you later and welcome to the addiction! Say goodbye to all of your future paychecks... as they will be forwarded to your local tackle shop!

bachiboy
12-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Welcome to the addiction! Don't try and fight it cuz you now have a full blown case. To go out there and follow a great session with a stripe, and still want to go out there? Sorry, there's no recovery. :Wink:

Congrats on the nice bean!
Don

DockRat
12-21-2013, 08:38 AM
WTG on the Corbina. Corbina fishing is a whole different ball game than the typical SWAT LC post.
Once you get on the whole LC/Halibut thing it is like smoking crack, most guys can't turn back. Your hooked like some tweaker looking for his next fix.
Part of you only wants his next fix, part of you wishes you never started. LMAO just kidding. Same with the large mouth bass crowd.

My buddy got into LMB and it changed his life. He even sold all of his SW gear (FOOL).

Semi rare by-catch on lures but if you really want to target them then bait is best. Think of Corbina as trout in a stream. Sight fishing at times. Easy to spook. When targeting Corbs it is more of a shallow water game where you want to stay out of the water. 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz egg slider to a swivel. 18" @ 4 lb flour leader to a thin mosquito hook, sand crab.

Personally Jscrib method is pretty good. Just a few hooks, swivels, weights all in your surf trunk pockets. Spring to fall.
No backpacks, extra rods, waders, cell, camera ect. Just carry a rod and have a down to earth experience.
DR
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blackcloud9/Fishing/BeachCorbina0711103.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/blackcloud9/media/Fishing/BeachCorbina0711103.jpg.html)

DockRat
12-21-2013, 08:45 AM
A winter corbina is rare.

Not really if you target them. There is a dude on another site that has been really nailing them every week.
All on ghost shrimp.

tamddo714
12-21-2013, 09:23 PM
im on that site too and his fishing stats for corbina is amazing lol

smokehound
12-22-2013, 01:19 AM
I actually catch corbina quite often in winter while tossing the last of the year's sandcrabs. I run into them year-round in the harbors, too.

Wingnut
12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
That's one heck of a first surf session. :Big Grin:
Welcome to the addiction, lol :LOL: