PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick report...

ErikAllen17
12-16-2013, 02:30 PM
First off, I want to apologize because (A) this is not THAT short and (B) I didn't take any pics. I chose to leave my phone at home, but here is the report anyway.

When the weather changed for the "warmer" (not "better" because it was still crazy windy) on Sunday, the family decided to spend it outdoors. The kids agreed on going to the beach even though mom and I said it'd probably be cold. They didn't care. Low tide meant they got to try and find sidewinder crabs and starfish. So we loaded up the Tahoe, the beach gear and the kids. I chose not to bring my fishing gear because I see the stress it causes my wife to watch all the kids while I zone out and fish. That wasn't going to happen today. After explaining to the kids that we weren't fishing, my 4-year old starts to cry and says she wants to catch fish. I mean c'mon... if you've ever seen the cutest 4-year old in the world start to well up and cry, ya gotta cave in. She wanted to bring her little "Barbie Pole" (it's actually the Penguins from Madagascar, but who cares) and to me, that sounded better than loading up all of my stuff. So I load it up with a C-rig, size 6 circle hook and crack.

LOTS of salad in the water... but we ended up hooking up on 6 BSP in about a 1-hour period It would've been more, but I spent most of my time trying to teach them how to retrieve the line and untangling the line from seaweed. Most of the time, they started doing well, but quickly resorted to burning it in. I just let them do that... they still caught 2 little ones (4-5") in the first 30 min. They started to lose interest, so daddy took over and hooked up before handing them the pole. This woke them up as I got bites on almost every cast. I hooked onto one that bent the pole pretty good... I handed the pole to my older daughter and she successfully rolled in a 10" BSP. Not bad for the Barbie pole!

Kids had fun, wife was less stressed which made for a good time on the water. Happy wife... happy life! I didn't care much about not fishing... well, I did, but not using my gear or targeting what I want. Today was about the kids... I have 3 weeks off starting this week. There will be plenty of daddy fishing time coming up!

Happy Holidays to everyone here...

bachiboy
12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
:LOL: Compared to my reports, this is a photo caption Erik.:Wink: Great read though, and way to go with the Barbie pole. That's an awesome story and I'm sure a great time for the whole family. Just sent a PM that might interest you when Dad gets some time to put in out there for himself.:Wink:

Happy Holidays!
Don

SP Dan
12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
The perfect day at the beach for all!
"Happy Holidays" to you and your family!
SP Dan <"))><

DockRat
12-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Nice getting the family out, WTG.
DR