PDA

View Full Version : Laguna lake 12/15

smokehound
12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Went with my pal to the lake for some trout.. weather was nice, water level was quite low, warm light offshore flow until the evening.

For some weird reason, i couldn't get trout to bite, but everyone else did.. Generally, I'll limit out in like.. 20 minutes..

Some people were talking dookie on me. Evidently, tossing a powerworm at trout makes you a supar-sekret elite warrior.

So I decided to go for something better tasting and harder fighting.. :D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/IMG_20131215_172300.png

Gotta love the crepuscular nature of panfish..

Nuoc Mam
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the report.

Haven't fished that lake for a year or so now hahah

Let you know a trick. Use Mealworm and a medium/small splitshot. Cast out, let sink for like 3-5 seconds, then slowly reel in and jig it like a mini jig. I always get bit and end up catching a bunch to the point where the locals get pissed off and call DFW on me hahaha Just funny to see that when someone is succeeding, the ones that aren't, get pissed. I've shared the secret bait with them and offered, but they refused and stuck to their power nymph.

Good luck out there.

smokehound
12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I actually dislike mealworms as they're small.

my favorite lure for trout is actually a large spoon, which will get the largest trout, holdovers that have been in the lake long enough to gain an extra pound in weight that have shifted their focus towards fish, and rarely touch powerbait or even powerworms- seeing the bright gaudy neon colors as warning colors.

I prefer nightcrawlers, as they survive far longer, and attract everything. The trick to using them is leaving a long tag end for the trout to chew on, wait 4-5 seconds after you feel a tap, THEN set the hook.

they're also tougher, staying on longer.

I'm at the point where dfg trout are Moreso a nuisance, rather than fun.. I prefer a hard kicking angry shellcracker, once they get large enough, they fight much harder AND IMO they taste far better!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/IMG_20131216_162035.png

The last pieces of an outstanding meal; tempura fried insecticide!

Ifishtoolittle
12-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Nice job. That redear is huge. How large was it? 9"?

Sorry to hear about the BS you had to deal with. lol. I think "anglers" gain an ego boost when they catch a fresh stocker or two.

vanillagurilla
12-16-2013, 07:31 PM
lol i got 30 freshies Thurs and same Friday sat was a little slower with about 15.

smokehound
12-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Nice job. That redear is huge. How large was it? 9"?

Sorry to hear about the BS you had to deal with. lol. I think "anglers" gain an ego boost when they catch a fresh stocker or two.nearly 11 inches. I've seen far larger in this lake. Saw one that had to be pushing 3-4 lbs- over 15 inches- chasing bluegill around last summer.. Abundant asiatic clams, excellent crayfish habitat, and tons of snails; both apple and japanese trapdoor snails, and many other large aquatic invertebrates that the bluegill cannot prey on allow the redears to thrive without stunting. I wasn't really mad at those guys or anything, i did look pretty damn noobish.

lol i got 30 freshies Thurs and same Friday sat was a little slower with about 15.Lol, at this point, they're just mackerel to me now hahaha

If i had the motivation to catch some, i would've asked a few people for a couple of fresh power worms, or something haha. Even the cormorants seemed to not really want them, for some reason.

Ifishtoolittle
12-16-2013, 10:14 PM
nearly 11 inches. I've seen far larger in this lake. Saw one that had to be pushing 3-4 lbs- over 15 inches- chasing bluegill around last summer.. Abundant asiatic clams, excellent crayfish habitat, and tons of snails; both apple and japanese trapdoor snails, and many other large aquatic invertebrates that the bluegill cannot prey on allow the redears to thrive without stunting. I wasn't really mad at those guys or anything, i did look pretty damn noobish.

Dang! 11 inches?! With the smorgasbord of food in that lake I'm not too surprised now. I may just need to take a mini trip there for some of those redears.

lol noobish.

Stormcrow
12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Went with my pal to the lake for some trout.. weather was nice, water level was quite low, warm light offshore flow until the evening.

For some weird reason, i couldn't get trout to bite, but everyone else did.. Generally, I'll limit out in like.. 20 minutes..

Some people were talking dookie on me. Evidently, tossing a powerworm at trout makes you a supar-sekret elite warrior.

So I decided to go for something better tasting and harder fighting.. :D

Gotta love the crepuscular nature of panfish..

Trout guys were talking dookie on you? How dare they!!?? LOL personally, I'm only interested in trout if I can pin one and hand-line it down for a 40 lb striper. :-)

But since I cant do that....Ill just stick to bass.

smokehound
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
the bass didnt seem to want the trout that day, either. I was watching them ignore the trout, and chase the gills and shad instead.