PDA

View Full Version : first time at the irvine 10/8/13

mission89
12-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I have to say off the back that i really liked this place! i only caught 1 fish but this place is great and i know there are tones of fish in there!! Im not sure if i was not using the best technique or if it just wasn't my luck yesterday but I'm not discouraged and will come back soon! I was fishing of my float tube, i didn't get in the water till about 7;30 and caught my first and only fish till about 830am using an inflated crawler and a split shot about 16-18 inches down drifting along the west shore . On the other pole i was just drop-shotting mice tails, whit and orange worms for nothing. i threw a fire tiger cd-3 for nothing the rest of the day. I ended up leaving at about 1pm determined to come back and nail those fish. plenty of people catching from boats and shore and tubes though. if you guys have any suggestions on what i should do next time ill take it;)! but anyways thanks for reading have a great day!

Hotbite909
12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I think you just had a off day. Everyone has those days. Maybe just change it up a little with the presentation. You might want to try a carolina rig also when drifting. Shorten or lengthen your leader on the drop shot. Color changes with help you get some especially when the water is off colored from rain. Light green worms. orange, pink and also solid white works well there or a combo. Dead sticking you bait when they are finicky will help sometimes and very slow movement with the occasional pause help sometimes for sure and some good scent.

VineVideos
12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
I have to say I really like your attitude, Mission. I'm not really versed in the bait fishing. Mostly trolling for me. I have gotten much better at it but I still have days where I simply get to "watch"
others and don't get much myself.

Yes, Irvine Lake is a beautiful place to fish. I see all kinds of wild life especially back in Sierra cove and the very east end of Santiago Flats. Not uncommon to see deer late in the afternoon.
I love that kind of thing. My wife and grand children were with me a couple of months ago and they got to see their very first coyote. That might not be a big deal to some, but we really enjoyed that.
And not to mention the Ospreys, Bald Eagles and all the different water fowl.

It is less than 50% the price of a half day boat and you can fish for 10 or 11 hours instead of 3. And have the independence of fishing wherever you want (or not).

Keep up the good work and catch a bunch the next time !!

DJ