PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Beach Great Whites

DockRat
12-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Pretty cool video. Gets good after 4:00 when he tells the surfers. :Shocked:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/32HutcH23/jaws.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/32HutcH23/media/jaws.jpg.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-XpTQFg13o#t=86

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

Manhattan Beach — On December 1, 2013 Nat Spencer was surfing between 29th and 30th Streets in Manhattan Beach. It was 10:00 AM and he had been on the water about 3 hours. The ocean was glassy with chest high waves and an estimated water temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit. The sky was clear with an estimated air temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The water was about 8 feet deep over a sandy ocean bottom with water visibility 15 feet or more. An undetermined number of dolphins were feeding on the plentiful baitfish in the area. Spencer reported;"I was sitting on my board on the outside waiting for a set when I noticed a Great White Shark under me. It was approximately 6 feet in length. It swam under my board and then sat next to me for a few seconds before swimming away slowly. The day before I saw a similar shark, also about 6 feet in length. Both were Great Whites. When the shark swam under me I pulled my legs out of water. Once it swam away I caught the next wave in." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 30, 2013 Matt Eaton was surfing near 29 Street in Manhattan Beach. It was 8:20 AM and he had been on the water about 2 hours. The sky was clear and the ocean calm with air and water temperatures estimated in the mid-60s and upper-50s Fahrenheit, respectively. The water was 7 – 8 feet deep over a sandy ocean bottom with water visibility greater than the depth. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Eaton recounted; "The Great White Shark swam right through the lineup from the North. Everyone saw the fin and paddled slowly out of its path including me, but it turned toward me and followed me and the guy surfing next to me into 3 – 4 ft of water. The shark was about 8 feet in length. It swam slowly and just seemed curious but I was taking no chances and paddled hard. I was told it was 3 – 4 feet behind the tail of my surfboard before I finally caught a wave to the sand." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Hermosa Beach — On November 30, 2013 Matt Skibiski and an unidentified companion were surfing off Hermosa Beach near Longfellow Avenue. It was 9:30 AM and he had been on the water about 1 hour. The sky was clear and the ocean calm and glassy with air and water temperatures estimated at 66 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The water was about 6 feet deep over a sandy ocean bottom with water visibility greater than the depth. An undetermined number of dolphins were observed in the area prior to the encounter. Skibiski reported;"My friend and I were sitting on our boards waiting for a wave and I was telling a guy next to me that someone early mentioned to me that they saw a large shark swim under him. Just as I finished telling him the dorsal fin of undoubtedly a great white shark broke the surface about 20 feet further out from us. A swimmer and the shark where heading directly for each other, I yelled at the guy and he heard me, he saw the fin and body surfed in to shore. As the shark moved passed us casually, I warned the pack of surfers to the north of us and they then saw the fin heading in their direction. The shark appeared to be 7 – 8 feet in length. A few people got out of the water but most of us stayed in." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 24,2013 John Andel reported the following; "My friend, Jason Meffe, and I went Stand Up Paddling near El Porto, just north of Manhattan Beach. Air was 64 and sunny. Water was 61 degrees Fahrenheit and visibility was 15 – 20 feet over a sandy bottom. When we first entered the water, we saw two dolphins about 50 yards off shore heading north. We paddled south and almost immediately saw a great white shark swim beneath us near the tip of the jetty. This shark was small, about 6 feet in length. We continued to paddle south and were just beyond the power plant when we saw another juvenile great white shark about 20 yards from shore in 6 – 10 feet of water. This shark was closer to 8 feet in length and was slowly swimming parallel to shore. We paddled up to it and easily identified it as a great white shark. Within about 30 seconds another white shark appeared and they started to swim in circles around us, appearing more curious than anything. They swam underneath our boards, between us, around us and then out to deeper water and back to shore. We paddled around them for about half an hour. There were about 30 people surfing 200 yards south of us." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 24, 2013 Jay Dohner was Stand Up Paddling at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was about 12:00 PM and he had been on the water only 5 minutes. It was sunny and clear with an estimated air temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm and about 8 feet deep with similar visibility over a sandy bottom. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Dohner reported; "I was paddling along the shore about 40 yards out. There were multiple encounters with multiple sharks. The sharks were swimming calmly in large circular patterns. See http://youtu.be/H-XpTQFg13o ." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 20, 2013 Adam Taylor was surfing in Manhattan Beach at El Porto near Tower 42. It was 10:00 AM and he had been on the water about one hour. The sky was clear and the ocean glassy calm over a sandy bottom that was 6 – 8 feet deep with water visibility greater than the depth. Prior to the encounter a pod of 6 or more dolphins were observed in the area. Taylor reported; "I was laying on my surfboard with all my limbs on top of the longboard facing slightly south towards the horizon. I noticed a dark shadow to my right in my peripheral vision and slowly glanced over to see what it was. I immediately identified it as a great white shark, 6 – 7 feet in length, as it was facing me in clear water and was really close, about 4 – 5 feet away. I instantly paddled to my left (south) and slightly further out as the shark was facing perpendicular to my body and was on a trajectory to pass under my board. I caught a small wave in right away and yelled to my friend that there was a shark and he caught the same wave. I grew up around sharks in Hawaii (hammerhead, tiger, reef sharks) and the body-language of this shark suggested to me that he was just checking me out or possibly hadn't seen me. The speed of the shark was slow which also led me to believe it was acting out of curiosity not aggression." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 20, 2013 Christopher Clair was surfing El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was 7:00 AM and he had been on the water 40 minutes. The sea was calm and the sky clear with air and water temperatures estimated in the mid-50s and mid-60s Fahrenheit, respectively. The ocean floor was sandy with water visibility greater than the 5 – 6 foot depth. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Clair reported;"There were approximately 25 other surfers in the line-up right out front the El Porto Parking lot. I was sitting on my board facing the ocean when I saw a pointed, triangular, blackish dorsal fin about 10 feet in front of me. It swam closer, and I could see a bulky shadow, about 4 – 6 feet in length under the water. It continued north zig-zagging through the line-up. I observed the shark about two or three minutes. No one seemed to notice except for a SUP rider. I paddled to him and we agreed it was a shark. I then paddled to shore." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 16, 2013 Eli Keltner and his friend, Sean Kamano, were surfing El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was 9:00 AM and they had been on the water 45 – 60 minutes. Air and water temperatures were estimated in the upper 60s and lower 60s Fahrenheit, respectively. They were 50 yards from shore in the line-up with a partly cloudy and a calm to light off-shore wind breeze. Keltner reported; "My friend, Sean Kamano, and I were surfing El Porto in Manhattan Beach north of 45th Street. The waves were shoulder to head high. After surfing 45 minutes to an hour, Sean, sitting on his board in the lineup, pointed and said, "Eli, there's a Great White Shark." It was a juvenile, 7 – 8 feet in length and was swimming near the bottom about 10 – 15 feet away. It remained still on the ocean floor for a brief moment and then began swimming in slow arcs. At the same moment, a group of dolphins were swimming north, 25 to 30 feet away, slowly swimming and breaching. One dolphin had caught a wave for a moment heading toward shore. We lost track of the shark and when we spotted it again it was almost directly below us. Then it turned, swimming out to sea. We continued surfing for another hour but never saw it again." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 8, 2013 Jake Wadley with an unidentified companion were on the Manhattan Beach pier. It was 2:30 PM with air and water temperatures estimated in the 70s and 60s Fahrenheit, respectively. They were about 400 yards from shore. Wadley reported;“We were at the end of the Pier when two fishermen spotted two juvenile Great White Sharks. One of the sharks's appeared to be between 7 and 9 feet in length and was swimming approximately 8 to 10 feet below the surface. The second shark was 6 to 8 feet in length and was swimming at the same depth relatively near to the larger shark. Surfers were within 200 yards of the sharks at first but then the two sharks closed to within 150 yards of the surfers but appeared to pay no attention to them.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 7, 2013 Meelad Sadat was surfing at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was 11:00 AM and he had been on the water about 1.25 hours. It was sunny and clear with an estimated air temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The ocean was calm with the depth greater than 6 feet over a sandy ocean bottom with an estimated water temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Sadat reported;“I was sitting on my board watching an incoming set when I saw the dorsal fin and rear fin come out of the water about 2 – 3 feet from me, in the direction of open water. I would estimate the shark's length to be about 6 feet judging by dorsal fin to back fin being about 3 feet; dorsal fin looked about 6 – 8 inches high. I was sideways with my board nearly parallel to the beach and the fins came up out of the water to my right. I saw the shark make one quick swimming motion and saw its dorsal fin at the very back of my board before I could fully turn to paddle towards shore. I never saw its head or mouth. As soon as I began paddling and moving away I felt my leash tug for one quick moment. I turned to look behind me and noticed a surfer next to me, about 15 feet away. I yelled to him that there was a shark behind me and asked if my leash was caught on anything. He started paddling and I didn't hear his answer. I paddled until I caught some wash into shore.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Manhattan Beach — On November 2, 2013 Kirk Aguer was surfing in front of the parking lot at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. It was about 12:00 PM and he had been on the water about 45 minutes. It was sunny with no wind and an estimated air temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The waves were high with the water visibility at least 15 feet and the depth about 10 feet over a sandy ocean bottom. Water temperature was estimated in the low 60s Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Aguer reported; “I was straight out from the parking lot at El Porto in Manhattan Beach. There were many surfers in the water. I was sitting on my board with 2 friends when I spotted what appeared to be 7 foot juvenile white shark slowly swim between my friend and I about 5 feet away. It was grayish tan, had a lighter color underbelly and small notches on the back of its dorsal fin. The dorsal fin broke the water and I warned my friends of the shark. We observed it swim off about 25 feet then it did a 180 and swam directly towards my other friend who had not heard my warning because he was wearing ear plugs. When he saw the fin he was startled and fell off his surfboard into the water directly in front of the shark. The commotion seemed to scare the shark. It immediately turned away and swam off. A nearby surfer swam in when we first spotted it. We didn't see it as a threat and stayed out another 30 minutes never seeing it again.”

ErikAllen17
12-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Damn... that's a lot of sightings. I hope those whites stay down south as I just ordered my fishing kayak and would rather not have to deal with sharks while on the water.

TUNAVIC
12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Damn... that's a lot of sightings. I hope those whites stay down south as I just ordered my fishing kayak and would rather not have to deal with sharks while on the water.

True! I'm sure you say the report from Hawaii,where the kayak fisherman leg was bit or I should say attacked while hanging off the side of the kayak,I think it was reported as a tiger shark,sad to say even though he got help pretty quick,he did not survive,be safe.

Cya TUNAVIC

Jig-Guy
12-07-2013, 02:57 PM
If there is this large amount of GW's along the beach here in So Cal that are 6' to 8' I wonder where the 12' to 15' or larger GW's are at? Mabe out at Catalina eating seals. At my age no surf boards or kayak's for me just big boat's, the
Independence will be OK.

etucker1959
12-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Great Whites around our beaches, especially Santa Monica Bay is nothing new. It's been kinda of a nursery for smaller Great Whites for years, that's the bad news. The good news is, you don't have to worry MUCH about shark attacks in Santa Monica Bay. The reason WHY, is when a Great White is in the 3-8 foot size, it's primary diet is FISH!!!!!!! Once they get bigger then that, then they start to feed on mammals. (mostly seals) This is when they become a danger to us humans!!!!!!!!