PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Gar

DockRat
12-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Found this 2013 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCuR4jI9-Q

I*B*CATCHIN
12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I hope he doesn't like carp, now bass on the other hand ....just kidding .....bass guys and gals lets not take my joking serious....water level is up at harbor park. ..I'm so happy my carp will live :Big Grin:

ScottyP
12-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Wonder what he did with it? I used to see that thing swimming around all the time, could never get it to hit anything.

I*B*CATCHIN
12-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Hope it was cpr'd...would be nice to see it in another 5yrs full off lmb's ...just kidding again ..im in a joking mood today
Wonder what he did with it? I used to see that thing swimming around all the time, could never get it to hit anything.

BASSCATCH
12-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Pretty cool catch, wonder where that thing came from.

Ifishtoolittle
12-05-2013, 04:51 PM
I've seen that thing once in the lake. I swear, it was 4ft long and probably 5" in diameter. There's also Arowanas in the lake too. lol, I'm just waiting on the Peacock bass now. haha!!!

BASSCATCH
12-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I've seen that thing once in the lake. I swear, it was 4ft long and probably 5" in diameter. There's also Arowanas in the lake too. lol, I'm just waiting on the Peacock bass now. haha!!!

There are Arowanas at Lincoln too...damn that's pretty cool! Might check it out in the spring time.

Cartman
12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Gar or sturgeon? The gar I am familiar with in Mississippi have longer pointy snouts with lots of teeth. They are also lighter in color. That fish doesn't look like a gar to me, but it is a very short video.

Carptain_Bao
12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Gar or sturgeon? The gar I am familiar with in Mississippi have longer pointy snouts with lots of teeth. They are also lighter in color. That fish doesn't look like a gar to me, but it is a very short video.

That one looks like an alligator gar to me, the ones you found in Mississippi were probably the long nose gars, they are smaller I think.

Cartman
12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
That one looks like an alligator gar to me, the ones you found in Mississippi were probably the long nose gars, they are smaller I think.

Could be, Bao. One thing for sure, I've never seen any gar here at all. Used to see their skeletons left out to dry along bar pits behind the yazoo levee, and they had pointy noses and were often six feet or longer. The longest I ever caught I guess was three or four feet. The gar are not kind to game fish. I've caught catfish that were all cut up and bleeding, apparently from having tangled with a gar. Long snout filled with sharp teeth. Check out the images on Bing or Google. A bait shop/bar I used to frequent had a 20+ feet long gar stuffed and hanging on the wall. Scary. People hunt them like that in the White River in Arkansas. I say "hunt" because once they get them in the boat they have to shoot them in the head with a .45 because they're so vicious. Exotic and interestingly weird fish that would be fun to target and catch, but like I said, they play hell with all the other fish in the lake.

DEVOREFLYER
12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Caught a number of Gar in Lake Greenwood in So Carolina this summer with my partner that lives there. The amazing way they were caught is with a piece of 8" nylon rope. You take the rope and tie a knot in one end and put a large hook through the knot, then you unravel the rope and comb the fibers out. You cast and pull it in the water like a streamer the Gar strike and their teeth snag/tangle in the rope fibers. They have a very hard mouth and setting a hook is almost impossible. The locals break the bill off over the gunnel of the boat and throw them back in the water, they are hated for what they do to the game fish.

goodguy
12-06-2013, 07:21 AM

It's a gar no doubt... Definetely not a Sturgeon. Looks nothing like a sturgeon in fact...

DockRat
12-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Hard to believe Arowanas can live through the cold winter months. I just looked a 5 websites and they all say 75 - 85 degree water temp.

But hey, if they help keep the duck populations down then it's all good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWwb0SYMOzc

GhettoBasser
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
If I catch that gar it will end up on Mission Blvd. You can believe that. I'm sure that thing has destroyed some of the limited bass population. When you would fish in Florida they would feed in the am's and there were so many of them they would break the water surface like little mouths chattering all around the lily pads. When you first see it you think bass were feeding but it turned out to be those nasty things. F-k the gar!

BASSCATCH
12-06-2013, 03:39 PM
DockRat that Arowana video eating the duckling is brutal...hahaha!

GhettoBasster
12-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Gar for sure. I'm with DR; I have a hard time believing an Amazonian fish like an Arowana would survive here, but strange things happen all the time. I'm still waiting for the killer Snakehead invasion. Great top water gamefish.

smokehound
12-16-2013, 08:18 PM
definitely an alligator gar. they're also present at el dorado and a few other lakes.

alligator gar can survive our winters.

Ifishtoolittle
12-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Gar for sure. I'm with DR; I have a hard time believing an Amazonian fish like an Arowana would survive here, but strange things happen all the time. I'm still waiting for the killer Snakehead invasion. Great top water gamefish.

The Arowana didn't survive. It was already looking sluggish when I saw it and that was in August 1 year ago! lol!!!