PDA

View Full Version : Brackish Water Secret Spot Discovered...

DockRat
12-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Running around today doing errands. Went down to San Pedro to drop off a few gallons of old paint at the LA County hazmat drop off.
Anyways on Gaffey St across the street from the DMV is the drop off spot. They also give away free mulch.

Across the street form DMV on Gaffey is the entrance to the LA County yard. There is a concrete drainage ditch that comes from Harbor Park. At high tide today I noticed it was 1/3 full of water. Stopped and got out to check it out and it had about 4' of water in it. Noticed a couple schools of fish :Shocked: At first I thought they were Carp then had a better look and saw yellow tails and white belly's then thought Yellow Fin Croakers. 12" to 18" swimming and digging in the mud. 3 - 4 schools of them.

This ditch tuns into a pipe by the skateboard park under the 110 Freeway. The pipe runs about 800' under the park then under Harry Bridges Blvd over to Yang Ming terminal. Went by later at low tide to check it and the spot was DRY. Big tide swing today and found it pretty cool that these fish will swim a 800' pipe to forage in the dirty canal then return to Sea. Might try this spot for a quick C&R session. 4' chain link fence and NO 'no fishing' signs so it could be legal. Similar to fishing LA Aquaduct. LOL
DR

fishshep
12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I know an area in the LA River that the Homies fish !!!

Sounds similiar . I love that kind of "Ninja Fishing " :LOL:

Ifishtoolittle
12-05-2013, 12:16 AM
LIAR! lol DR. That's a great find! I do hope you catch a YFC. Take a picture of it if you do!

DockRat
12-05-2013, 08:16 AM
LA River does produce FishShep. At Anahiem St the river will run backwards and jump the cement burm there. That is where Mitch gets Mullets. I've seen seals eating there and that is about a mile from the ocean, see video below.

Those brackish drains are like Hometown Buffet, After a rain combined with a big tide, look out. There is a spot in LB where the fish swim a 4' x 1000' pipe to this one spot. you would think only bottom feeders would swim a 1000' pipe. I've seen legal White Sea Bass, short Cudas, Halibut at that spot all going after smelt that live there. The Dominguez Channel near the draw bridge is another good one but I got ran out by the Cops once fishing across from the Chowder Barge. LA River Brackish gets tons of bait too.

You can see the burm underwater at the start of the video and then at 1:00 in vid he is fishing it at low tide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBWisQ-jVM

Brackish water or briny water is water that has more salinity than fresh water, but not as much as seawater. It may result from mixing of seawater with fresh water, as in estuaries, or it may occur in brackish fossil aquifers. The word comes from the Middle Dutch root "brak," meaning "salty". Certain human activities can produce brackish water, in particular certain civil engineering projects such as dikes and the flooding of coastal marshland to produce brackish water pools for freshwater prawn farming. Brackish water is also the primary waste product of the salinity gradient power process. Because brackish water is hostile to the growth of most terrestrial plant species, without appropriate management it is damaging to the environment (see article on shrimp farms).
Technically, brackish water contains between 0.5 and 30 grams of salt per litre—more often expressed as 0.5 to 30 parts per thousand (ppt or ‰). Thus, brackish covers a range of salinity regimes and is not considered a precisely defined condition. It is characteristic of many brackish surface waters that their salinity can vary considerably over space and/or time.

smokehound
12-06-2013, 05:38 PM
ive seen mullet make it to the anaheim area, which is impressive, considering they have to get past the gate at talbert

one long cast
12-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Dockrat what kind of bait or lure were you using??? I've tried for them in Newport Bay without any type of success.

fshnritchey
12-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Dockrat what kind of bait or lure were you using??? I've tried for them in Newport Bay without any type of success.

He is snagging them-illegal way to fish

GhettoBasster
12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
He is snagging them-illegal way to fish

I think snagging is legal in saltwater.

one long cast
12-07-2013, 09:17 PM
you are correct my man

Ifishtoolittle
12-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Mullet are foragers and curious from what I can see in underwater videos. I've seen numerous videos of angler catching them on shrimp paste balls made from ground shrimp and other powdered items. It's sloppy fishing, but those silver pods run like mad!