PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving 2013, I had 4 days of Great Fishing

fishinone
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I fished Bait-n-Wait at Castaic on Thanksgiving Day, Friday, Saturday and again on Tuesday.

Thanksgiving Day

On Thanksgiving morning I fished with Striper Mike. Mike is one of the best B-n-W guys that I know. He picked up a couple medium sized fish at our first stop and then we both started slaying 10" striper. So we moved!

We set up at Necktie Canyon with the fleet and I started picking up schoolies on night crawlers at a rapid pace. The fish didn't really want the sardines at this point. I was using soft tipped poles and bait runner reels to keep the fish from dropping the night crawlers right away. Mike wasn't picking up as many fish but I kept telling him that he had the two biggest fish in the boat. He caught and released easy limits of smaller schoolies and I caught many more.

We finally decided it was time to call it a day and head for our turkey dinners, Mike got slammed as he picked up his sardine chunk to reel it in. He got a 5 lb. fish. So he had the three big fish for the day.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Thanksgiving%202013/20131128_134207_zps3c6c168a.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Thanksgiving%202013/20131128_134207_zps3c6c168a.jpg.html)
Here's the catch for Thanksgiving morning.

Friday

My plan to fish the duct on Friday evening fell through so I decided to hit the lake alone and got there at about noon. Mike was there with the fleet when I showed up, pulling anchor, because he had limited out. I didn't take any pictures but I limited out in short order and even got home before dark.

Saturday

BassFan and I fished together on Saturday.

We raced Capt'n to the buoy line in the morning. I'm going to have to get a bigger motor. I was barely able to catch up to him after rearranging the boat for better balance and air flow.

After anchoring up Bassfan and I each got a 3 pounder then started getting all 10" dinks. So we moved out to the fleet.

We had a great time catching schoolies and sorting through them for a little bigger grade. We tossed more than we kept. Bassfan is a fast learner, he catches as many fish on bait as I do now.

Of coarse, we wound up struggling to fill our limits when we decided to leave. I thought we would have to pull out, one or two short, but we finally got them.

We meant to get some pictures at the end of the day. I don't know what happened!

Tuesday

My buddy Ron asked me to take him and a friend fishing on Tuesday. I wanted to take a little more time away from work, so I took a vacation day and made it a plan. Ron's friend wound up not making it, so I invited Salvador. Salvador hadn't fished for striper from a boat. I think that he was surprised by the action that we got.

We got there early and launched first. We went straight to Necktie Canyon and set up. The first pole in the water was hit before we could get another one out and it was like that most of the time until we left. I was telling Ron that if he wanted bigger fish he should put a bait on the bottom. I hadn't started fishing bottom yet, I was just playing with catching fish, one after another on 2 poles.

I was putting a bait on bottom and talking about it when Ron hooked up a nicer grade fish from bottom. After that the bigger grade fish took a break for a while but we were having trouble getting the baits to the bottom anyway. The schoolies were hitting every piece of sardine that we put on. We were playing around catching several fish on a bait just for fun. I think Ron managed to get 4 on one bait before loosing it.

Salvador was struggling to detect bites and missing lots of pick ups because the techniques are new to him but during such a wide open bite he still managed a limit.

Every once in a while we went through the fish hold and threw any smaller fish that were in good shape back to make room for some a little bigger.

The nicer grade fish showed back up but they were pecking at the bait. Ron and I picked up a few more of them, then Salvador managed the big fish of the day on a double hook up with Ron. The two fish were numbers 29 and 30. Salvador's fish weighed 3 lb. 9oz.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Thanksgiving%202013/20131203_125011_zps86135f51.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Thanksgiving%202013/20131203_125011_zps86135f51.jpg.html)
This is Tuesday's catch.

The fish are still picky about the bait. They seem to hit anything eventually but they hit better bait, right away.

I caught at least 110 fish in four days of fishing!

It's wide open! Get out there!

(http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Thanksgiving%202013/20131203_125011_zps86135f51.jpg.html)

Stumpknocker
12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Nice work! It's incredible how that spot keeps pumping out fish day after day...I wonder if the low temps this week will kill that bite? The fleet of fisherman hammering that place (me included) hasn't been able to...

koifish
12-04-2013, 04:51 PM
nice slay RON. I am also killing them at the dam too...LOL

DMS
12-04-2013, 07:54 PM
WTG Ron! You are rocking the bite!

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
12-04-2013, 08:24 PM
nice fish man ! great job guys

cutbait
12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
You weren't kidding Ron

Bassfan
12-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Ron, Its always a fun adventure to join you for a day on the water and Saturday was no exception.
A lot of the fish that were biting that day were smaller than we wanted but still lots of action. Thanks again, I had a great time.

flyhigh123
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
killer report! i may get a chance to do the mid on sunday... but man this bait report makes me want to go to castaic! haha

fishinone
12-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Nice work! It's incredible how that spot keeps pumping out fish day after day...I wonder if the low temps this week will kill that bite? The fleet of fisherman hammering that place (me included) hasn't been able to...

I'm not sure that we realize how many fish are really in there. These are those fish that blanketed the lake at 100' 2 years ago. They're finally big enough to come out of hiding.

nice slay RON. I am also killing them at the dam too...LOL

I think that they are biting in many places around the lake. I just don't want to pull anchor over and over to find more hot spots.

WTG Ron! You are rocking the bite!

Thanks Dan, Where have you been? Are you and Lulu fishing StriperBowl?

nice fish man ! great job guys

Thank you.

You weren't kidding Ron

Kidding? I never kid!

Ron, Its always a fun adventure to join you for a day on the water and Saturday was no exception.
A lot of the fish that were biting that day were smaller than we wanted but still lots of action. Thanks again, I had a great time.

When are you going to sign up for StriperBowl? You stand a chance of winning it.

killer report! i may get a chance to do the mid on sunday... but man this bait report makes me want to go to castaic! haha

That's what I did for StriperFest. I fished the dinktrollbite at Castaic and didn't pre-fish Pyramid and Khanh tied for big fish from my boat.

TroutOnly
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
baitbitches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice killin ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
baitbitches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nice killin ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just can't believe that you're being mean to me just because I'm catching fish! lol

I have no doubt, that they are hitting on the troll too.

trail blazer
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
WTG Ron,,,,strippers killing,,you day mannnnn,, wish you could check out the bait bite just up the road,,tb

fishinone
12-05-2013, 06:49 PM
WTG Ron,,,,strippers killing,,you day mannnnn,, wish you could check out the bait bite just up the road,,tb

It's Pyramid in fall they are biting. Lol

I'm trying to arrange a day to check it out but I'm not the only one planning.

LOL strippers! I missed that yesterday.

Fishin4runner
12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Nice boat loads you got there. Hope that catch streak is contagious on the 14th.

catchingsomefish
12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Nice job Ron, I was going to go out yesterday on my day off, but after those pics, I figured there might not be any left...............LOL..................Dave

fishinone
12-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Nice boat loads you got there. Hope that catch streak is contagious on the 14th.

The fish usually bite good at Pyramid this time of year.

Nice job Ron, I was going to go out yesterday on my day off, but after those pics, I figured there might not be any left...............LOL..................Dave

You made the right call. There's no sense in you even going. LOL