PDA

View Full Version : Catalina anglers. Conventional vs spinning.

TKCastle
12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Freshwater fisherman that wants to get back into salt and I wanted to know if conventional is still the way to go when fishing Catalina on the all day boats. I really want to know if larger spinning setups work just as well since I'm not the greatest conventional caster.

I got a budget of 300 and really need your suggestions.

Thanks Bro's

jaggerbub
12-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Conventional is the way to go but there ain't nothing wrong with a good spinning setup. I took a G loomis Pro Blue rod paired with a Shimano Sustain Fg 10k on a tuna trip and it handled the tunas and yellowtails just as well as my 2sp Avets. You could get away with a Stradic fj 6000-8000 for Catalina to meet your budget. Pair it up with a good rod and that will suit you nicely for an all day trip. Fill her up with spectra and a short top shot of fluoro... That's all you need.

If you're interested, I have an old school USA made penn 7500 ss spinner in like new condition. It's my backup to my backup reel... lol

Stray Cat
12-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Conventional all the way, learn to throw it and you will enjoy it far more than a coffee grinder. With a budget of 300 you can get a very nice set up. Practice makes perfect.