PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T.’n a Mid-week Surprise

bachiboy
12-03-2013, 04:23 PM
So, I decided to go blow off some steam in the surf this morning, after dealing with some unexpected drama. I got off to a late start after dropping off the kids and dealing with some construction being done to the house. I decided to go back to the “scene of the crime”. Back in March, I lost a 30ish” striper right at my feet on this particular beach. I “affectionately” named this fish Kimble...after Richard Kimble from the movie THE FUGITIVE, since he was an escaped jailbird. Well, Kimble’s been ducking me ever since, but he's been on the back of my mind anytime I fish the area. Word has it he’s been sighted in the neighborhood so I decided to give it a quick look.

By the time I got to the beach it was close to 11am. The water was littered with surfers but the break was mostly on the outside with an inner trough to fish. I start working my way down to some surfer-free waters and manage a few bsp bumps along the way. For all the “tap, tap taps” I was getting, I only managed to land three (not pictured). Once I hit my turn-around point, all the perch taps ceased. There was still some fishable holes but I wasn’t getting any love. I figured the tide had retreated a bit and so had the fish. I ran across a guy fishing perch on light gear and he showed me pictures of a striper he had landed a few days prior. Well, more evidence that Kimble was in the area. I keep working toward my starting point and was pretty close to calling it a day when I get a grab. I feel decent weight and at first I’m thinking, “Okay, round 2...here we go”, but it doesn’t seem to be making any significant runs that I’d expect a striper to take. It’s definitely a fish but I begin to suspect Mr. Wiggles or a thornback. Much to my surprise a flattie pops up in the whitewater at my feet...and he’s lookin pretty dang close to legal. I get him beached take some measurements and sure enough, he tapes out right at 22” (YES, the tape was stretched out). Doesn’t matter cuz I dont’ keep fish anyway. Took some quick shots and sent him back on his way with a hearty thanks. I’ve always thought there’d be flatties in this area but didn’t expect to see any round this time of year. Guess I just got a little lucky.:Wink:

Enjoy...
Don

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/legal_zps1cc856b3.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/legal_zps1cc856b3.jpg.html)

skunked4life
12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Very nice afternoon delight don! It's good karma for being a good friend. Great short report and pic. Thank you again my friend!

Your humble apprentice,

Skunked4life

tamddo714
12-03-2013, 06:20 PM
thanks for the report! nice looking flattie

fishshep
12-03-2013, 06:35 PM
:Shocked: WOW !!! that is one nice surprise :Big Grin:

SP Dan
12-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi ya Don,

When we were texting back and forth about AO's I was hoping that your nose would point you in that direction.

I was sorta hoping that you would hook up with that lost Striped Bass "Mr Kimble" but the legal soots me just fine!
Way to go for pulling a legal Halibut out of our So. Calif. Wintery waters and for yet another legal on the SWAT leader board! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun fish report with pic's Brotha! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

midgettosser1
12-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Nice one Don.
I still have yet to get a legal butt this year. And time is running out.

Wingnut
12-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice score Brother Don... been awhile since I "beached" a legal, lol :Envious:
I gave it my best shot yesterday and fell short. :mad:
If I can find some time, I will put up a short report of my last couple of failed sessions. :LOL:
Merry Christmas my friend. :Big Grin:

bachiboy
12-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Nice one Don.
I still have yet to get a legal butt this year. And time is running out.
Thanks Mike! The year's not done yet...almost, but not completely. Go get 'em!:Wink:

Nice score Brother Don... been awhile since I "beached" a legal, lol :Envious:
I gave it my best shot yesterday and fell short. :mad:
If I can find some time, I will put up a short report of my last couple of failed sessions. :LOL:
Merry Christmas my friend. :Big Grin:
Missed that one by "that much"!:Shocked: Still, that's a pretty fun session. Looks like there are still some fish to be had before year's end. I'll be looking for that report...and the one where you scored before New Year's!:Wink: Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!:Big Grin: