PDA

View Full Version : Trolling sarl

LOLO
12-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Has anyone done this and if what were the results. I never see anyone posting reports on this subject and was wondering why. What are the pros and cons seems to me that FEESH can be had here and the pressure on the water during the week should be lite. Anyway just curious was thinking about trying it tomorrow thanks for any and all feedback

etucker1959
12-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Has anyone done this and if what were the results. I never see anyone posting reports on this subject and was wondering why. What are the pros and cons seems to me that FEESH can be had here and the pressure on the water during the week should be lite. Anyway just curious was thinking about trying it tomorrow thanks for any and all feedback
I got this one, Iv'e been fishing SARL since they opened the place. My last trip there was Saturday and I'm trying to go this Thursday so I kinda fish it a lot. When it comes to my trolling abilities, I'll use Irvine Lake as an example. To me that is a trolling lake and that's all I want to do there when I fish for trout in there. A few years back at Irvine Lake, based upon my observational skills I considered myself one of the better troller's in the lake. The point I'm trying to make is, I know a little bit about trolling for trout. Back to SARL, Iv'e had very few days where I could troll up a limit there. However, I did catch most of my DD trout at SARL on the Troll. The problem with trolling SARL is most of the fish don't swim near the surface. I've got my fish graph on all the time when I'm fishing SARL, most of the fish are swimming within 10-15 feet of the bottom. The lakes average depth when your in a boat is 35-50 feet deep. If your flat lining a trout lure it's going to go down only 4-8 feet depending on what it is. That's not where very many trout are swimming in there. If you did fish with down riggers or lead core you could get down to where the fish are mostly swimming. I did have one trip a few years back, I only fished lead core and needlefish and it was pretty wide open, I don't know why I don't do that more often. I know why, it's to much fun catching them on ultra light tackle. I did notice a lot of the trout were keying in on the shad schools according to my fish graph, so Lead core might be the way to go this year. Also the water is still pretty warm on the surface, my fish graph was reading 63 degrees most of the time. Any more questions don't be afraid to ask. If you could schedule it, Thursday is the day you want to go. That's the day their stocking Lighting Trout!!!!!!!!

LOLO
12-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I got this one, Iv'e been fishing SARL since they opened the place. My last trip there was Saturday and I'm trying to go this Thursday so I kinda fish it a lot. When it comes to my trolling abilities, I'll use Irvine Lake as an example. To me that is a trolling lake and that's all I want to do there when I fish for trout in there. A few years back at Irvine Lake, based upon my observational skills I considered myself one of the better troller's in the lake. The point I'm trying to make is, I know a little bit about trolling for trout. Back to SARL, Iv'e had very few days where I could troll up a limit there. However, I did catch most of my DD trout at SARL on the Troll. The problem with trolling SARL is most of the fish don't swim near the surface. I've got my fish graph on all the time when I'm fishing SARL, most of the fish are swimming within 10-15 feet of the bottom. The lakes average depth when your in a boat is 35-50 feet deep. If your flat lining a trout lure it's going to go down only 4-8 feet depending on what it is. That's not where very many trout are swimming in there. If you did fish with down riggers or lead core you could get down to where the fish are mostly swimming. I did have one trip a few years back, I only fished lead core and needlefish and it was pretty wide open, I don't know why I don't do that more often. I know why, it's to much fun catching them on ultra light tackle. I did notice a lot of the trout were keying in on the shad schools according to my fish graph, so Lead core might be the way to go this year. Also the water is still pretty warm on the surface, my fish graph was reading 63 degrees most of the time. Any more questions don't be afraid to ask. I've you could schedule it, Thursday is the day you want to go. That's the day their stocking Lighting Trout!!!!!!!!
Most helpful reply and thank you so much. Since boats are half off right now I may just give it a try with some deep diving plugs and a make shift down rigger and if that doesn't work I will try drifting crawlers and trout worms. Any particular color you favor for sarl as I like whites and pinks at the vine again thank you so much for. Your reply

etucker1959
12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Most helpful reply and thank you so much. Since boats are half off right now I may just give it a try with some deep diving plugs and a make shift down rigger and if that doesn't work I will try drifting crawlers and trout worms. Any particular color you favor for sarl as I like whites and pinks at the vine again thank you so much for. Your reply

Last year was a very good trout year for us at SARL, our best rig was a pink & white mice tail. I've been paying attention this year to what the Trophy Trout are biting on. The two hands down winner for bait for the super trout have been, night crawlers and chartreuse power bait. Good Luck out there, it's been a rough start for us, hopefully things get cracken when the water temps cools down a bit.

RyO K
12-03-2013, 02:13 PM
how are the crowds there on Thursdays?