PDA

View Full Version : A LOT To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving (Like, a SWAT INDUCTION FISH!!)

bbqsushi
11-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Date: November 24, 2013
AO: Classified, LA County
Session: 06:30 – 09:30
Condition: A/W temp 51/62 Surf 1-2’ clear Tide Low@ 07:40 +3.2
Gear: Phenix 8’6” rod w/ Shimano Stradic Ci4, 15# Power Pro w/ 12# Mono top Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110 Metallic Ayu

The record, will, of course have to be verified by SWAT central command, but by all estimates, I now hold the distinct honor of taking “the most amount of time required to catch an induction fish’. Though not particularly proud of this dubious achievement, I can now say that I DID IT!!! More importantly, however, I have a deep and profound respect for the journey. I can say of my many outings, that lessons were learned with each step along the way, if only the hard lessons of patience and failure. I would’ve been cheated had I succeeded early on. It would have meant less, in the whole scheme of things. This particular fish, albeit “just a nice calico”, was the culmination of hours and hours spent in the surf, thousands of casts, dozens of “hall passes”, many early mornings, cold/wet drives home, sandy boots, and of course, $$$$ of lost LC’s. Now I feel worthy of the membership. Now I want to share those experiences with others. My wingman that day, Danimal (SPDan), shook my hand, looked me in the eyes, and said, “This was ALL you, brother. DON’T think otherwise”. Now I understand, Dan. Thank you. Here’s the three-paragraph, long-winded account of the journey. Of course this is a fish story, so….

I don’t remember ever “learning to fish”. My dad handed me a rod and reel before real memory kicks in, and that was over 40 years ago. The surf-fishing bug happened a just a few years ago, however, on an Alaskan Cruise for my parents’ 50th anniversary. My Dad, brothers, and I brought light tackle gear along to wet a line. At one particular stop, we had a couple of hours to kill, so we all went down to the shore and started chucking lures in to the sound. By some piece of dumb luck, a very nice salmon hit my Mepp’s spinner, and after a long, super fun battle, I was able to CPR that beauty. Now I was hooked!! After that trip, my younger brother Al pointed me to FNN, and we were all fascinated by the stories in the surf section. I, in turn, got my very good friend Don (Bachiboy) into the scene, by pointing HIM to FNN. He knew a few guys in the SWAT group, and the next thing you know, we were at HG4. Don had already become a member by that time. Shortly thereafter (this past spring) I was thrilled to receive an invitation and challenge from Arthur (Wingnut) and the gang. That was roughly 9 months ago…

Flash forward to this past weekend. I was stuck working a very long Saturday, when Bachiboy called me with some really good intel on the Checker-fest that he had just enjoyed. Work was going to keep me out late and my lazy butt didn’t feel like I could wake up early enough to fish, so the plan was to sleep in. That’s when SPDan texted me and invited me to be his wingman in the morning. (Little did I know that this was a premeditated attempt by Dan, Don and Arthur to get me in to an induction fish scenario). I got clearance from the control tower, and Dan and I agreed to meet at the same spot that Don had just slammed. I showed up a little late, as the sun started to squeak above the horizon. Conditions looked great, and Dan’s truck was parked and empty. As I made my way down to the beach, I saw Dan working the northern half of the AO, and he was in full attack mode. I veered left, and went to scout the southern half. Within 15 minutes I got a hesitant strike on the LC, so my swing was a little slow. I thought I missed the strike, but then felt the familiar headshake of a flattie. It wasn’t big, nor was it on my hooks for very long. He let go after about 30 seconds. No other hits for quite sometime as I worked further south. At peak low tide I decided to fish off the rocks that border the south end of this AO. When I finally made it out there, my first cast was met with a solid strike!! Yes!! The stripes are off, and I pulled up a legal+ Calico. Not huge but a good fighter. After another 20 minutes on the rocks, I could see Dan bending down to CPR yet another fish. I couldn’t see what it was, but I saw a rather large splash as he released it, so I called him to find out what it was. All I heard in the phone was Dan yelling at me – “What the heck are you doing on those rocks?!?!? You can’t get an induction fish off rocks!! It won’t count!! GET YOUR BUTT BACK ON THE BEACH, SON!!!” I knew he was right, and the rising tide was going to cut off my exit strategy, so I made my way back in to the sand.

With time running out, I fished the exact spot that Don had hit the day before, closely following his instructed methodology. This forced me in to wading out way farther than I usually do – doing ballet pirouettes with each incoming wave to prevent from getting swamped. The water was between my belly button and chin, but this was necessary to cast out to a kelp bed that sits juuuuust outside of casting range. Conditions were still glassy, clear, and calm. On THE cast that counted, I had one of those particularly sweet casts, where you time the whip just right, and the LC is properly weighted, so as not tumble end-over-end. It was just few yards shy of the kelp paddie. As the LC hit the water, and I was flipping the bail over I heard something big, boil up out of the water with splash!! I was like, “what the heck was tha….” And BAM!!! Before I realized what was happening the tip of my rod slams south, and swing back reactively. Its ON!!! I start backing my way out of the deep and Dan yells over to me “Is that thing legal??” I yelled back “uhhh, I don’t know?!?” But Dan knew by the deep arc of my rod that it was a fat toad – he hustled over to back me up. The fight was relatively short, and after a couple of wave-timed drags up the beach Dan starts shouting, “THAT’S A 19!!! YOU DID IT!!!” I didn’t believe him, but as we taped it out, it was exactly 19”. (that’s what you call experience!!). We did the requisite poses with the beast, and could tell that he was anxious to get back in the water. Dan happened to snap a picture just as he leaped out of my hands and headed back to his lair. I did it. YESSSSSS. After high fives, hugs, and some disco dancing in the sand Dan threw out more wisdom… I wanted to immediately jump back in to the water but he calmly said, “Take a minute there, son. Breathe it in and remember the moment…. Thank those who you need to thank. Text or call those who you need to, and enjoy it for a bit”. I knew what he meant. Best words of advice. I took a knee, took a breath, and said a prayer of thanks. Looked out over the beautiful beach, and then slowly started the text/call chain. Best 10 minutes of year. Again, Dan, thanks. That was key. (along with you yelling at me to get off the rocks. :Embarrassed:)

Every SWAT brother that I have had the privilege of fishing with has been genuine, helpful, conscientious, and fun. It is my honor to join the team, and I hope to contribute to the sport as you all have. Big shout outs to those brothers who have been supportive of my efforts. Arthur, Dan, John, Ken, and of course the guy who calls my wife to get me hall passes, AND drives us to the AO’s, my very good friend Don. Thank you for the help along the way. Last, and most importantly, thanks to God, and my wonderful wife and kids!!!

A Pic of the fish that got me in to Surf fishing:
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/FirstSalmon_zps579ed760.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/FirstSalmon_zps579ed760.jpg.html)

Pictures of the prize:
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFish2_zpsdc091426.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFish2_zpsdc091426.jpg.html)

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFishCloseup_zpsfacb6ed7.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFishCloseup_zpsfacb6ed7.jpg.html)

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFishFull_zpsaf9e5bd2.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFishFull_zpsaf9e5bd2.jpg.html)

The Release!!
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFishRelease_zpsf3819b60.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/InductionFishRelease_zpsf3819b60.jpg.html)

Not to be left out of all the action, Dan had a GREAT day as well, ending up with 2 Halibut and 5 Calico's, including this 18" beauty!!!
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/Danimal_zps76204f4a.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/Danimal_zps76204f4a.jpg.html)

Happy brothers! Good times!!!
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/nateanddan_zps0a0e70fe.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/nateanddan_zps0a0e70fe.jpg.html)

Arthur - Package received!! The whole family is stoked! Thank you!!
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/photo2_zpsd7833437.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/photo2_zpsd7833437.jpg.html)

SP Dan
11-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Welcome aboard S.W.A.T. Brotha Nate aka: bbqsushi,

Sleeping ZZzzz .... Huh ... 12:30 AM .... woke up to your text Brotha Nate.... headed over to the computer to see your long waited for report!
Yahoo! .... "Congratulations Nate" on beaching your "SWAT challenge induction fish" and for "completing your SWAT Challenge"! :Big Smile::Applause:

I gave you a text the night before to join me ..... I had a gut feeling that with all of the proven Cali action at this AO that ..... "this would be your day"!

I watched you walk down and step into the salt from my position to the north of you but after a while I saw you out on the rocks, way to the south of my position. I thought to myself ... :Explode: the induction fish won't count out there on the rocks ... you need to get your feet back on the sand! I was having a successful time on the sand and when you phoned me ... well I believe that I may have mentioned something about not wasting this time and to get your "blankety ... blankety ... blankety" feet back on the sand .... and that you can always fish on the rocks later ... but after you've already caught your induction fish. Huh .... you actually heard me and headed back on the sand ... "and then it happened" ....................... in the same exact spot where Don's magic happened the day before ....

I knew that you were in "the" hot spot (Don must have said to you ... "X" marks the spot ... DON'T MOVE OFF OF THIS SPOT!) and from 50 yards north of your position I could see by your body posture .... by the pressure bend in your stix .... and by the long heavy pull down shakes of the rod tip .... that this was your moment!
By the action in your rod .... it looked like a large Calico strike the way your rod was pulling and jerking!

I went chest deep to walk deeper around the out side boilers to make my way to your position and attempt to be there for you .... as a good wing-man should. You can tell how deep I went by the water mark on my tee shirt in our photo together. The water was pouring down inside and down to my socks!

By the time I made it next to your side ..... you had already; skillfully, worked the brute into the skinny. Still in the foam .... I couldn't get a visual on it yet .... then I saw the thick girth and it's white checkered sides ...... "CALICO"! And as you stepped away and up the sand .... I could see the deep rut your fish left in the sand as you pulled it up out of the wave surge and up the sand .... our eyes went to the size of silver dollars and I yelled ...."It's got to be 19 inches"! You did it ... you did it my SWAT Brotha! Yahoo!! And it taped out to be 19" and a beautiful qualifier!

"Congratulations Nate ...... it was all about you my Brotha! :Applause: You hung in there, you persevered and with your determination ... you succeeded .... "The SWAT Centeral Command Challenge"! It was my honor to have shared "your" proud moment with you Sir! What a great day!

Thanx Nate .... for sharing your exciting experience with all of us in the form of this fun read with pictures! :Cool:

PS ...... Anytime that you need a wing-man my Brotha ..... just tell me where and when!

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

skunked4life
11-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Nate! You did it!!!! To be honest, I was feeling extremely guilty because that day we last fished, my calico was an induction fish. I haven't had a day go by that I felt guilty about it.

I know that your schedule doesn't allow much fishing but you really took advantage of the sweet conditions that day! I was so excited that I had to call you to congratulate you personally.

If any two people could steer you right, it would be the Sensei and the Danimal.

Congratulations and hope to fish with you again really soon!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka ken

DockRat
11-28-2013, 07:47 AM
That's a Big Checker, Congrats on your induction fish. :Applause:
DR

Homefish
11-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Congrats BBQS, Nice fish!

Nipple Twister
11-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Ain't it cool.......?:Thumbs Up:

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/photo2_zpsd7833437.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20NATHANs%20iMac/Surf%20Fishing/photo2_zpsd7833437.jpg.html)

NAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!!!!!!! Well done Sir, well done indeed. When I read Danimals report and got the teaser news I couldn't wait to read the report!

OMH!!!!! What a report it is, and it goes without saying how over the top you deserve this, one of the toughest anglers out there. You have persevered where others may have abandon efforts........... my pleasure to have shared the surf with ya but you coundn't have chosen a better person the the Danimal to share the epic occasion, thanks for sharing the ride with us and as always look forward to many more sessions to be thankful for..........welcome aboard my friend, not a better group of folks to hang with..........:Cool:

sidified
11-29-2013, 12:16 AM
How great, Nate! Welcome aboard.. You've been in the company of some terrific SWATaneers in your quest and now you can relax with the pressure off… for most of us, that lasts about ten minutes! BTW,your team sure looks great making that SWAT fashion statement.
Best Wishes,
Sid

murrieta angler
11-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Brotha Nate,
Congratulations on your induction fish.
I hadn't realized that it had been 9 months...:Surprised:
But, you persevered and came out smelling like fish...:LOL:
We still haven't fished together, or even had a real conversation, but there's a reason for everything..:Wink:
I enjoy the pictures of you and the kids, with your SWAT attire...:Smile:
Take care and one day I will see you out in the surf,
Robert
<><

PONTOON
11-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Nate,

I haven't been on the board much here recently because of a home improvement project the Boss Lady has me wrapped up in along with the healing process of some bruised up ribs but when I heard a hint of the fact that you got your induction fish I had to set all aside to look for the report and read the story a few times for it to sink in and then get in touch again with the "Good Feeling" of finally realizing the feeling you get when after all the work and anticipation that comes with each and every mission in your Quest for that induction fish.

I'm going to tell you it was a great pleasure to read this story of yours and then reminiscing about how I felt each time I hit the surf in my own Quest for the "One" fish that would allow me to join the S.W.A.T. Fraternity...........I sir, now feel that sense of accomplishment one more time just as I did when I finished my Quest and each one of the S.W.A.T. members since me have felt.

Congratulations Nate! Your patience and persistence has paid off Big Time!

bachiboy
11-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes Virginia, THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS!

I kinda figured that you needed to be out there that day. It's not too often that we've headed out there and KNEW there were fish in the area that could fit that qualifying model. Wish I coulda made it out there with you guys but Kris was wondering why I was screaming from upstairs when I got your text. I kept telling her that morning that I was waiting for a message from you. Damn glad it all worked out. Now I can go fishing with you in peace and not sweat out trying to put you on the ONE. The gear looks good on you and the family...tell Kaia that Uncle Don is gonna steal that hat from her though.:LOL: Great celebrating the accomplishment with you and the family that night. We'll have to all get together again soon.

:Applause::Applause::Applause:
Congrats!!!
Don

PS - I guess there goes the possibility of any "croaker" ranking for you! :Rolls Eyes::ROFL:

Wingnut
11-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Nate, welcome to the Brotherhood... officially. :Wink:
But we already considered you a part of the family my friend. :Big Grin:

When Dan and I were texting back and forth the night before, he told me that his mission was to out you on the induction fish in the morning.
He called that one. :Razz:

You worked hard for it and it finally paid off. I still remember that one surf session when you came down that steep trail to the beach on your mountain bike. I look over at Don and said "Are you serious?!?" :EyePop: I also remember that was the day that I stole your induction fish... :Envious:

Your journey to be officially inducted have been full of ups & downs, but you finally did it, congrats! :Applause:

See you next Saturday at the S.W.A.T. Christmas party! :Cool:

dlmoo312
12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Awesome report Nate!
And congratulations on landing your induction fish!!! :Big Grin::Applause:
Gotta admit its hard to stay off those rocks sometimes when you know there's fish to be caught there, but peak low tide is also the time when you can reach the kelp! :Wink:
Way to look out for your SWAT Brother, SP Dan! :Big Grin:
It all paid off in the end with a beautiful induction fish!
Hope to see you out on the sand sometime soon!

-Daniel

Which Way Out
12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey Nate, Congratulations. Fantastic to see you made it before the year end.

You are in good company down south with many years of fishing ahead of you. Not to mention from the looks of things, a soon to be coach of the next generation.
Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to a great Team.
WWO