PDA

View Full Version : Lastchancetackle videos

Matt_Magnone
11-26-2013, 06:59 PM
hey guys, ive been asked periodically the last few weeks if the shop is still doing videos just a reminder, as opposed to just uploading to our youtube account, we have begun to post them on our website. slowly but surely were uploading different types of videos to start building a collection. once we've established a base, we'll be filming more in depth on bait and brand specific talking a little more about using each lure we cover. since ive figured out a system, i feel more comfortable asking you what it is you all want to see. ive asked this question before while i was still pretty green, but now since i've begun compiling i feel its the perfect opportunity to have you request anything.

here's the latest video talking about a simple way i like to try and locate larger fish in the winter time with swimbaits.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PEn7iKD9BAw

you can also view other videos on the shop website.
https://www.lastchancetackle.com/Photos-Videos/Videos.aspx

EL JEFE
11-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Matt, great idea to include videos on the LCT website. I would love to see videos specific to DVL and some of the main species that anglers seek when visiting the Jewel. I will leave out bass, since I'm sure others will request it.

1. Striper
2. Trout
3. Catfish

Techniques for both summer and winter.
Specific baits, lures, tackle, etc. with names, weights, sizes, etc
Tackle for use with specific techniques (ex. trolling set-up for stripers, swim bait set ups, etc)
When/how to use cut bait for stripers, when/how to throw swim baits, etc
What/how to use tackle or bait for catfish/trout

Basically, IMO, videos that will assist a newbie angler who needs to learn all about a specific fish he will try and catch as well as assist the veteran angler who has never fished DVL and would like to know about local techniques used at DVL. An example of this would be trolling for stripers.....flies are used quite a bit at DVL, but not used much at Willow Beach.

Thanks for taking out input!

Matt_Magnone
11-26-2013, 08:58 PM
yeah i get stuck in the "bass thing" a lot. great idea of the multi species videos.

HawgZWylde
11-27-2013, 09:03 AM
A good one right now being winter would be how to needle a Bass. I've seen reports of folks catching Bass at 40ft+ depths but no one mentions needling the fish to relieve barotrauma that in most instances will kill the fish. Some folks are under the false assumption that if the fish swims away it's fine when in fact it's not. Once that fish reaches a certain depth, it can go no further and finally succumbs to stress and exhaustion from trying to get back down to the depth they were taken from. Every winter Bill and I come across fish floating on the surface all bloated up and still alive, we needle it, resuscitate it in the well then release it. Other times we find them dead with no visual injuries, sure it may have been gut hooked but 9 times out of ten, it died due to barotrauma. Some of these fish have been fat 5+lbers. Personally, we don't fish much past the 25-30 depth as there are plenty that live in the upper column year round, just not as many as other times of the year. And as of late, and with the slow winter LMB grind in full swing, we've been doing our part at Stripey eradication...

Hardcor
11-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Excellent ! Thank you Matt !

Matt_Magnone
11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Excellent ! Thank you Matt !

no problem dude. you're welcome!

A good one right now being winter would be how to needle a Bass. I've seen reports of folks catching Bass at 40ft+ depths but no one mentions needling the fish to relieve barotrauma that in most instances will kill the fish. Some folks are under the false assumption that if the fish swims away it's fine when in fact it's not. Once that fish reaches a certain depth, it can go no further and finally succumbs to stress and exhaustion from trying to get back down to the depth they were taken from. Every winter Bill and I come across fish floating on the surface all bloated up and still alive, we needle it, resuscitate it in the well then release it. Other times we find them dead with no visual injuries, sure it may have been gut hooked but 9 times out of ten, it died due to barotrauma. Some of these fish have been fat 5+lbers. Personally, we don't fish much past the 25-30 depth as there are plenty that live in the upper column year round, just not as many as other times of the year. And as of late, and with the slow winter LMB grind in full swing, we've been doing our part at Stripey eradication...

good one dude. its definitely the time. a lot of the fisherman new to deep water are starting to come in the shop asking similar questions. the hardest part about teaching how to needle, and i even screw up sometimes, is being there first hand to physically witness it. we all make mistakes and we all have accidentally poked a fish the wrong way inadvertently causing it to be brought home for tacos. thats actually one of the reasons i switched gears and rarely fish the deep deep stuff anymore. i started looking at the bigger picture and it made me nervous of the fishery. several large fish caught and released in the course of a week by multiple anglers with a low survival rate started to scare me! whether there's any truth to it or not, ive always wondered being that dvl is typically a deep water fishery, in the past, what kind of damage did we all do on the largemouth population when we were culling 4 and 5 pounders?

i think that would be a great video. maybe i can show 3 of the popular ways. cages, needle from the side and front inside the mouth.

frisbee
12-13-2013, 11:11 AM
no problem dude. you're welcome!

good one dude. its definitely the time. a lot of the fisherman new to deep water are starting to come in the shop asking similar questions. the hardest part about teaching how to needle, and i even screw up sometimes, is being there first hand to physically witness it. we all make mistakes and we all have accidentally poked a fish the wrong way inadvertently causing it to be brought home for tacos. thats actually one of the reasons i switched gears and rarely fish the deep deep stuff anymore. i started looking at the bigger picture and it made me nervous of the fishery. several large fish caught and released in the course of a week by multiple anglers with a low survival rate started to scare me! whether there's any truth to it or not, ive always wondered being that dvl is typically a deep water fishery, in the past, what kind of damage did we all do on the largemouth population when we were culling 4 and 5 pounders?

i think that would be a great video. maybe i can show 3 of the popular ways. cages, needle from the side and front inside the mouth.

I'm glad these topics are showing up on the board.

I want to bring up the sensitive topic of unneccessary live well abuse. Aside from placing live fish in a well being illegal without a dfg permit, it is bad for them and reduces our chances of catching them in the future. (Needling and revival excepted.) Putting them in the well for a few minutes to get the camera ready is all you need! Parading them around the launch ramp to show off/ generate more business for a guide business is.... Not good. I saw a video of a monster limit in a well and cringed when I noticed a few belly up, especially the 19. That's an extreme example, but the fisheries will be that much better if we all do a better job caring for fish, and not stroking our own egos.

We can talk about flipping toads on the deck while screaming and fist pumping later...

dcpeter28
12-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Hey Matt,

First off just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make these videos. They are very informative and extremely helpful.

Thought I would let you know that I went on the last chance website last night and was viewing several of your videos. For some reason a couple of the videos would not play for me. I believe it was the "How to soft plactic jerkbait" and also the "how to slow rolling swimbaits". Not sure if it was just happening to me but I thought I would let you know.

Also, I really enjoyed the videos but was hoping you could add a few more pointer for Diamond Valley lake itself. I try to fish there as often as possible and I thought it was great advice how you showed the color for bluegill at the lake in one of your vides. I understand nothing is better than actually spending time on the water but it is really helpful since I don't get to fish it that often. Again, thanks for the awesome videos.

Gary Boland
12-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Great videos!

noleash
12-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Great videos!

Think how awesome these videos would be in a hot pink sparkly bass boat with pastel green and yellow lettering! :Big Grin:

seal
12-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Think how awesome these videos would be in a hot pink sparkly bass boat with pastel green and yellow lettering! :Big Grin:

Work, save, buy it!