PDA

View Full Version : Question on PVR access

billy b
11-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I have a bum knee and wondered how far it is to walk back in ... and how much climbing down is there? I can do some

I recall that the upper entrance is easier than coming in the lower entrance

Thanks for any help

Viejo
11-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I have a bum knee and wondered how far it is to walk back in ... and how much climbing down is there? I can do some

I recall that the upper entrance is easier than coming in the lower entrance

Thanks for any help

From what I remember, the upper is drive pretty close but still with rock clambering to get to the water. Lower access has a longer walk but it's not bad and I have artificial knees. Both sections mean you will have to climb down to the water to fish. I wouldn't call either one extreme for those with challenges.

fishingfool9
11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Just get to the launch ramp its the easiest place to fish from shore.

Tubbytuba
11-26-2013, 05:21 PM
i was going to say both are not so bad but i dont have any issues besides weighing a metric ton, just take it slow which ever way you go boss and you should be fine. good luck! they just threw a bunch of brood stock in there, hopefully you can get into some of those. if you do any fly fishing id suggest the lower owens right bellow the dam, epic easy access, just pinch your barbs and be nice to them. throw your report up id like to see how you do.

Good Hunting

billy b
11-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Just get to the launch ramp its the easiest place to fish from shore.

You hit the launch ramp from the lower side ... not from up on the power plant way ...???

DEVOREFLYER
11-27-2013, 06:25 AM
billyb my choice would be the upper. Here is a link for info on PV: http://stevenojai.tripod.com/pleasvalley.htm

The Upper and Lower Owen's is on fire right now. http://sierradrifters.com/fish-htm

Tubbytuba
11-27-2013, 09:44 AM
i was up there in October, and it was really starting to kickoff then, had some awesome fishing. hot creek was ridiculous too.

Good Hunting

Sierra_Smitty
11-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Bill, having fished with you before, I don't think PVR is a good choice for you. As stated earlier, the launch ramp would be the only place that is very accessible for someone with a bum knee but it's about half way down the lake so you're looking at a 2+ mile walk just to get to it. I would suggest going barbless and baitless and spend your time on the E. Walker or Upper Owens.

Sierra_Smitty
11-29-2013, 01:52 PM
BTW - I was just up at Donner Lake a few weeks back and did surprisingly well on rainbows to 14"....considering I'd never fished there before I was pretty stoked that Donner fishes a lot like the Eastern Sierra lakes. Boca, Stampede and Prosser reservoirs are worth a look too since you're close to there.

sandtrout
06-02-2016, 09:44 AM
I haven't fished PVR yet but have heard of others (TROUTONLY) who use a bicycle to get to hot spots but still have to to some climbing down to the water.