PDA

View Full Version : Trout Slaying at Castaic

GhettoBasser
11-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Took the family out to Hansen Dam this am. Not a bite and didn't see a fish. They had marked that they stocked 300 LBs but there wasn't a thing there.

Headed up to to Castaic around 1030 and hit Gallions before our way up. We were told they just stocked at 10. We flew up there and the dam appeared to have some action. We took the spot on the right of the launch ramps and nailed 3 before the bait hit the water. As the day grew later more and more people showed up. Tons of high school kids throwing swimbaits between the trout fisherman. It looked like a party boat along the shore. People were catching trout on literally everything. We caught 20, lost 10 and threw 5 back. We caught them on trout worms and power bait. There was an old Asian man that hijacked our spot and started throwing in between our rods and murdered it. He was using natural colored Power Bait. There was another old man who limited in our spot on a spoon in less than an hour. Both men limited and came back later to get some more. It was fun for the kids but it did feel like cheating. There were 3 strippers caught. Biggest was 7 and the others 5/6. They were caught on swimbaits. Lastly, to the kid that thought he was Butch Brown and back hooked my daughter, maybe in the future when people are bait fishing you really don't need to throw your 1/2 pound Huddleston right on our spot and get a rod you can handle.

cutbait
11-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Took the family out to Hansen Dam this am. Not a bite and didn't see a fish. They had marked that they stocked 300 LBs but there wasn't a thing there.

Headed up to to Castaic around 1030 and hit Gallions before our way up. We were told they just stocked at 10. We flew up there and the dam appeared to have some action. We took the spot on the right of the launch ramps and nailed 3 before the bait hit the water. As the day grew later more and more people showed up. Tons of high school kids throwing swimbaits between the trout fisherman. It looked like a party boat along the shore. People were catching trout on literally everything. We caught 20, lost 10 and threw 5 back. We caught them on trout worms and power bait. There was an old Asian man that hijacked our spot and started throwing in between our rods and murdered it. He was using natural colored Power Bait. There was another old man who limited in our spot on a spoon in less than an hour. Both men limited and came back later to get some more. It was fun for the kids but it did feel like cheating. There were 3 strippers caught. Biggest was 7 and the others 5/6. They were caught on swimbaits. Lastly, to the kid that thought he was Butch Brown and back hooked my daughter, maybe in the future when people are bait fishing you really don't need to throw your 1/2 pound Huddleston right on our spot and get a rod you can handle.

And I thought this was going to be a ho-hum trout report?

Loved it! Though you have more patience than I.

At least those high school kids are staying out of treble?

trail blazer
11-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Great report. Treble , freeking punks,lol TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
11-25-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm just hoping that your daughter is OK. You say he back hooked her?

GhettoBasser
11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
He swung back to cast and caught her in the back through her shirt. They were WAY too close. I was actually surprised to see how people will back pocket fish. Oh well, I guess that's the way it is now.

cutbait
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM
We tried that Dam thing earlier in the stock season. Its a nightmare.

I'm surprised how they can get away with parking on the hill and walking in before hours and not paying?

jicasiano
11-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Cool report. I love Castaic in the winter. Any signs of lmb chasing them trout? Might take my boat out there soon!!

-j

madbass
11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm glad that you and your daughter caught some fish. sorry about the hook mishap, hope she's okay. its could be dangerous with those huge treble hooks.
the good thing is that you caught fish and spent some quality time with your daughter. i try to stay away form the trout anglers when tossing the big baits, no need to tangle everyone.
thanks for the report!

alex.

madbass
11-26-2013, 10:46 AM
We tried that Dam thing earlier in the stock season. Its a nightmare.

I'm surprised how they can get away with parking on the hill and walking in before hours and not paying?

im surprised as well, but its not nice to tattle tell on others either. i use to do it, not anymore, not worth it.
everyone learns their lesson one time or another.

cutbait
11-26-2013, 10:48 AM
That's a fact

DarkShadow
11-26-2013, 01:56 PM
That's a fact

Yeah Seal, quit calling out poachers.

cutbait
11-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Something about showing up three hours early to be first in line only to watch a dozen vehicles park on the hi across the street and sneak in for free an hour before opening, while your waiting inline that rubs me wrong.

But nowadays its not nice to tattle tell wrong doing amongst the swimbait chuckers

seal
11-26-2013, 02:05 PM

What how did I get included on this thread?

We don't have that problem here at the Wood, people fish 24hrs. a day, but over aggressive swimbaiter's are always gonna be an issue no matter where you go these days. It's really blossoming and think it could be the reason for such a mediocre swimbait season so far this year a the Wood. So if the bites good at Castaic, enjoy it while it's here!

seal
11-26-2013, 02:15 PM
But nowadays its not nice to tattle tell wrong doing amongst the swimbait chuckers

I've learned to live amongst them and join in on the fun. Most are real decent dudes, but as always with any activity there is a few that you just want to throttle. I was so used to peace and quiet and the last couple years I've had to adapt, but hey there's plenty of ways to get away from the crowd.

cutbait
11-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Silverwood chuckers are probably more friendly.

These guys at Castaic either say nothing or grunt of you greet them with a good morning or how's it going. With the exception of two middle aged men who actually would conversate.

I assume they are the "old school" chuckers

jowo
11-26-2013, 02:33 PM
All this talk about wood chuckers and SilverWOOD has me thinking about the 'dam' comments last week, and now I can't get the 'How much wood can a wood chuck, chuck...' running in my head!

DarkShadow
11-26-2013, 02:47 PM
What how did I get included on this thread?

Crap. I meant Cutbait. But welcome to the thread, Seal!

Something about showing up three hours early to be first in line only to watch a dozen vehicles park on the hi across the street and sneak in for free an hour before opening, while your waiting inline that rubs me wrong.

Yeah, I hear ya. Especially since it seems Castaic uses 007 gadgetry to pounce on suspected nicotine smokers. You can spot a guy smoking a Camel 400 yards away on his boat, yet you can't spot 30 people fishing off the dam during closed hours.

(And if you're gonna poach, be discreet about it. Don't go around parading your "been-dead-for-five-hours-even-though-it's-only-15-minutes-after-opening" catch. I'd be hiding my tail between my legs and hiding my cooler full of fish heading back to my car if that was me.)

But instead, most choose this route:

http://www.rmtracking.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bank-robber.jpg

seal
11-26-2013, 03:27 PM

These guys at Castaic either say nothing or grunt of you greet them with a good morning or how's it going. With the exception of two middle aged men who actually would conversate.

Yes old school chuckers with bigass Penn spinning reels and 10' rods, that was me but even old school dudes learn eventually. My elbows feeling much better since the conversion to bait casting.

Koontaj
11-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Firme! That sounds like some great times.

madbass
11-27-2013, 08:51 AM

true, there are some big bait chuckers that are dicks but we're not all like them. The new bloods that i've met actually do "converse" as oppose to conversate, and are pretty cool. sorry cutbait, just had too, just having fun! lol!