PDA

View Full Version : Noise on the water: A lesson from Bill Murphy

Matt_Magnone
11-25-2013, 05:23 PM
a lot of people read us all talking about noise on the water and i truly believe it doesnt sink it. its just as important as understanding the correlation between the world above the water line and that of below the surface. everything on the water works together. in the hopes of being more efficient on the lake, us anglers need to learn how to be less intrusive on the water. it starts by understanding noise. noise can be anything from loudly talking to the rev of an outboard. it could be throwing your pliers down on the deck to dropping a rod locker lid. believe me it all makes a difference. right now, the lake is being "chewed up" bad. its all about beating the next guy to a spot. case in point. the last day i was on the water i approached a spot and backed off 100yds upwind from the point and idled in. when i was double a long cast off the spot i shut the big motor down and dropped the trolling motor and let the wind blow me up to the target spot. all i use my trolling motor for is to make my course straight. i literally tap my motor left or right sparingly. once i hit the spot another boater noticed i was approaching and revved his boat up and headed my way. unknowingly his driving 20' off the shoreline was the demise to both of our fishing on the spot. having only had the chance to make 2 of 3 perfect casts across the spot, i picked the motor up and had to leave. what could have been, you never know and epic bite, was destined to end before it even had the chance to start up.

here's a passege from bill murphy talking about noise on the water. i thought it'd be nice for me to type it up for you guys to help you understand the "noise factor". bill murphy has impacted me life in fishing dramatically and a lot of his practices are what i do my best to emulate now on the water.

im sure you'll be amazed at the correlation between our lakes today and the so cal lakes in the 70's and 80's. life's a vicious cycle.

"as tournament popularity grew in the 70's and 80's, moving and hunting evolved into running and gunning. advancements in trolling motor designs and techniques allowed anglers to fish with remarkable speed and efficiency. fishing fast for active "biters" became commonly accepted as the best way to put bass in the boat. fast fishing influenced deep water fisherman as well. instead of working slowly and carefully from an anchored position, the new breed of bass anglers used trolling motors to get directly over a spot and fish vertically, or to follow contours and cast. after a few checks or passes along a drop off, if a spot failed to produce the angler would motor off to another spot in search of a biting bass.

fishing fast proved excellent for finding and catching bass quickly, but as more and more anglers discovered how to find prime areas, fishing pressure tripled in key spots. as a direct effect of this pressure, bass began getting harder to catch and in many cases, wouldn't respond to standard techniques. perceptive anglers who realized things were changing began staying away from the fish, making longer casts and took increasing measures not to spook the fish. trolling motor companies tell you their units are quiet and dont spook fish, and that may be true compared to large gas engines, but ive been anchored on spots in the middle of an excellent bite when someone came down a bank using a trolling motor on full throttle and their intrusion shut of the my fish instantly!

i believe lunker bass react to intrusions similar to the way birds scatter when disturbed. if a bunch of sparrows were feeding in your backyard and you walked out onto the back porch and scared them off, initially it looks like they all flew away, but most birds stay fairly close in the trees and bushes. if you sit down and remain quiet eventually most of the birds come back. when one sparrow flies down and cautiously resumes feeding, a few more come down, and in a matter of minutes dozens of birds are pecking and scratching just like before your intrusion.

big bass react to fishing pressure much the same way after you anchor and remain quiet, eventually the fish become as relaxed as before your intrusion and they begin feeding again as if you weren't even there. the first bite is often the hardest to get, but after one bite it often raises the awareness of other bass and it seems like one bite triggers another. you can look a spot over with a trolling motor or with the big engine running but it doesn't matter because either way your intrusion will disturb the more sensitive fish. but once you decide to fish a spot, you'd be wise to stop moving around and anchor in place. anchoring creates a natural atmosphere. the longer your boat remains in one spot the more of a familiar atmosphere it creates. consequently, if your boat is in one position long enough, the boat becomes part of the spot itself. the sounds you make become part of the natural environment of that particular spot. the bass are aware of your presence, but unless you make unusual noises or movements like banging a tackle box lid or scraping a rod tip, even the rhythmic sounds of waves slapping your boat will eventually seem natural to the fish and they will be relaxed and feed vigorously."

P.A.W.
11-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Boy are you right on Matt! On Sunday morning at Skinner the stripers were on shad. We had shad (and consequently striper) corralled in a cove. Four or so of us were sitting dead in the water outside the mouth of said cove casting to them. Along came what I call a yellowtail boat. Like 7 guys in a large white Striper motored right into the cove and proceded to cover the whole area back and forth casting wildly. The bite died in less than a minute. Unbelievable.

HawgZWylde
11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Hear Hear!

Big thanks for posting this Matt. I'm copying it as soon as I stop typing and it's going fishing with me tomorrow. Lol, this has been a years long ordeal with getting my fishing partner to "get it". A great guy who has a lead foot on the troller and no sense of how even small sounds and boat positioning affect the bite. He's been getting much better with my constant (ehem) reminders, but this coming from you may finally seal the deal. Kudos bro...

To add to this, 2 weeks ago we were on a midlake topwater late afternoon Striper bite, water was calm and glassy when a boat that was fishing off a North side point spotted it going on, fired up the big motor and ran over, as you know, it shut er down right then and there. Sorry to hear your bite got blown up man...

Matt_Magnone
11-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Hear Hear!

Big thanks for posting this Matt. I'm copying it as soon as I stop typing and it's going fishing with me tomorrow. Lol, this has been a years long ordeal with getting my fishing partner to "get it". A great guy who has a lead foot on the troller and no sense of how even small sounds and boat positioning affect the bite. He's been getting much better with my constant (ehem) reminders, but this coming from you may finally seal the deal. Kudos bro...

To add to this, 2 weeks ago we were on a midlake topwater late afternoon Striper bite, water was calm and glassy when a boat that was fishing off a North side point spotted it going on, fired up the big motor and ran over, as you know, it shut er down right then and there. Sorry to hear your bite got blown up man...

haha its expected on the water. anymore i just get pissed to myself, cruise out to a cove, chow on a danish and arizona ice tea and get right back after it. we live in so cal. ts gonna get worse before it gets better.

by the way tell your partner to put his trolling motor on the lowest setting :LOL:. sometimes i see you guys MOVIN! maybe thats why you've been throwing blades a lot this last year haha!

TroutOnly
11-25-2013, 06:40 PM
youre totally right matt about noise and how it effects the fish,,,,,,,,,,,,dont you love it pat when they come in and sqeesh the bite or boil,,,,,,,,,,

noleash
11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
a lot of people read us all talking about noise on the water and i truly believe it doesnt sink it. its just as important as understanding the correlation between the world above the water line and that of below the surface. everything on the water works together. in the hopes of being more efficient on the lake, us anglers need to learn how to be less intrusive on the water. it starts by understanding noise. noise can be anything from loudly talking to the rev of an outboard. it could be throwing your pliers down on the deck to dropping a rod locker lid. believe me it all makes a difference. right now, the lake is being "chewed up" bad. its all about beating the next guy to a spot. case in point. the last day i was on the water i approached a spot and backed off 100yds upwind from the point and idled in. when i was double a long cast off the spot i shut the big motor down and dropped the trolling motor and let the wind blow me up to the target spot. all i use my trolling motor for is to make my course straight. i literally tap my motor left or right sparingly. once i hit the spot another boater noticed i was approaching and revved his boat up and headed my way. unknowingly his driving 20' off the shoreline was the demise to both of our fishing on the spot. having only had the chance to make 2 of 3 perfect casts across the spot, i picked the motor up and had to leave. what could have been, you never know and epic bite, was destined to end before it even had the chance to start up.

here's a passege from bill murphy talking about noise on the water. i thought it'd be nice for me to type it up for you guys to help you understand the "noise factor". bill murphy has impacted me life in fishing dramatically and a lot of his practices are what i do my best to emulate now on the water.

im sure you'll be amazed at the correlation between our lakes today and the so cal lakes in the 70's and 80's. life's a vicious cycle.

"as tournament popularity grew in the 70's and 80's, moving and hunting evolved into running and gunning. advancements in trolling motor designs and techniques allowed anglers to fish with remarkable speed and efficiency. fishing fast for active "biters" became commonly accepted as the best way to put bass in the boat. fast fishing influenced deep water fisherman as well. instead of working slowly and carefully from an anchored position, the new breed of bass anglers used trolling motors to get directly over a spot and fish vertically, or to follow contours and cast. after a few checks or passes along a drop off, if a spot failed to produce the angler would motor off to another spot in search of a biting bass.

fishing fast proved excellent for finding and catching bass quickly, but as more and more anglers discovered how to find prime areas, fishing pressure tripled in key spots. as a direct effect of this pressure, bass began getting harder to catch and in many cases, wouldn't respond to standard techniques. perceptive anglers who realized things were changing began staying away from the fish, making longer casts and took increasing measures not to spook the fish. trolling motor companies tell you their units are quiet and dont spook fish, and that may be true compared to large gas engines, but ive been anchored on spots in the middle of an excellent bite when someone came down a bank using a trolling motor on full throttle and their intrusion shut of the my fish instantly!

i believe lunker bass react to intrusions similar to the way birds scatter when disturbed. if a bunch of sparrows were feeding in your backyard and you walked out onto the back porch and scared them off, initially it looks like they all flew away, but most birds stay fairly close in the trees and bushes. if you sit down and remain quiet eventually most of the birds come back. when one sparrow flies down and cautiously resumes feeding, a few more come down, and in a matter of minutes dozens of birds are pecking and scratching just like before your intrusion.

big bass react to fishing pressure much the same way after you anchor and remain quiet, eventually the fish become as relaxed as before your intrusion and they begin feeding again as if you weren't even there. the first bite is often the hardest to get, but after one bite it often raises the awareness of other bass and it seems like one bite triggers another. you can look a spot over with a trolling motor or with the big engine running but it doesn't matter because either way your intrusion will disturb the more sensitive fish. but once you decide to fish a spot, you'd be wise to stop moving around and anchor in place. anchoring creates a natural atmosphere. the longer your boat remains in one spot the more of a familiar atmosphere it creates. consequently, if your boat is in one position long enough, the boat becomes part of the spot itself. the sounds you make become part of the natural environment of that particular spot. the bass are aware of your presence, but unless you make unusual noises or movements like banging a tackle box lid or scraping a rod tip, even the rhythmic sounds of waves slapping your boat will eventually seem natural to the fish and they will be relaxed and feed vigorously."

Can you imagine what happens one hour after closing time!

Matt_Magnone
11-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Can you imagine what happens one hour after closing time!

if i were a fat green blob of a fish id just sit in waiting throughout the day being opportunistic in my feeding habits and then gorge myself stupid when the lights go out. i mean seriously, why would i feed heavily when props, lines and big fake plastic things are slicing the water to shreds. if im sitting adjacent to my "dinner table" and i notice that my winged friends are suddenly spooked, something must not be right in the ecosystem. all of the sudden, laughing, loud noises and abnormal shadows present themselvess. whoa now... im just gonna go cruise and sit out over top of nothing and wait til the chaos disappears then return to my staging area.

HawgZWylde
11-25-2013, 08:14 PM
haha its expected on the water. anymore i just get pissed to myself, cruise out to a cove, chow on a danish and arizona ice tea and get right back after it. we live in so cal. ts gonna get worse before it gets better.

Ya I know it. It's a pack of crumb doughnuts and a hot cup of coffee for me. Only once did I get mad enough to actually confront a dude. We were fishing a north side cove and this punk came in hot, shut the big motor down literally right next to us, dropped his troller and pulled into the bank about 70ft in front of us as we were heading towards the pocket. He blows down there catches nothing then turns and heads back out. When he got right next to us, he fired up the big motor turns slightly and guns it. He was only about 60 ft away. So he heads towards the east end and I turned to Bill and said I can't let this one go and he agreed. So we took off and I found them in the marina cove tucked up to the rocks next to the ramp, I motored over to him mad dogging all the way then told the SOB off big time. The guy was pretty paranoid and obviously got the message. Now, meh, I don't let it get to me.

by the way tell your partner to put his trolling motor on the lowest setting :LOL:. sometimes i see you guys MOVIN! maybe thats why you've been throwing blades a lot this last year haha!

Hahaha, dude you don't want to know how many freegging jigs I've gone through man, lol. Damn, if I suck at everything else, I guarantee you I can throw a blade with the best of em. Lol, sometimes my day counts on that. I swear, sometimes I think he forgets he has his foot on the trigger because when I say in a frantic whisper "get your foot off the troller", he jumps, hahaha. Naw man, he's getting better, slowly, lol...

EL JEFE
11-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the post Matt. Good stuff. The anchoring info works; anchor up and be patient for bite to resume or begin. However, most people do not have the patience to wait for the bite...they want instant gratification and a speedy bite.

billy b
11-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I assume you got my post and chose to ignore ... that's cool ... if it matters, I would have appreciated a simple response ... especially when trying to do business with someone

Matt_Magnone
11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I assume you got my post and chose to ignore ... that's cool ... if it matters, I would have appreciated a simple response ... especially when trying to do business with someone

what post?