PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River information

Tubbytuba
11-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey all, im planning a steelhead trip to the trinity and mad rivers in the winter, some time between Christmas and February. looking to hook up with my first steelhead on the fly... fingers crossed. im tired of hearing about the runs in the Northwest and not participating :Envious:
Ive got my report card, ive been on Google maps pinpointing spots and done a pretty thorough internet scouring, so this isnt what im looking for, and flies aren't a problem either. I'm wondering how crowded these places get during the winter, i really dont want to get onto the river and have to fight over a hole. i feel like the Mad is a little more popular than the Trinity due to it's massive hatchery runs, but they're both pretty famous... if there are times of the year when there are fewer fishermen i'd love to know. PM me if you are uncomfortable about divulging anything on the open forum. If any of you NorCal fishermen are ever in Socal id love to trade some of my knowledge for yours (despite the fact that you guys have all the awesome fishing you'd ever need haha). thanks for any help.

Good Hunitng

farmacist
11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
For sure the section at the Mad River hatchery and directly downstream can get quite crowded during the runs. Obviously better if you hit it on the weekdays but you should have plenty of space the more you spread out from the hatchery's general location. Good luck! God's country up there, enjoy your surroundings.