PDA

View Full Version : fishing in the rain

rgrafg
11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Ive been planning a fishing trip only to come to realize that it might ne raining all this week and possibly saturday. I was wondering what everyones experienxe is with trout fishing after a rainstorm and fishing while its raining. Im not afraid of geting wet. I actually thinknit might be pretty fun to fish in the rain. Tips and suggestions are very welcomed.

DEVOREFLYER
11-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Some general rules regarding weather and barometric pressure are:

High Pressure
Typical Weather: Clear skies
Fishing Trends: Fish slow down, find cover or go to deeper waters.
Suggested Tactics: Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

Rising Pressure
Typical Weather: Clearing or improving
Fishing Trends: Fish tend to become slightly more active
Suggested Tactics: Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

Normal and Stable Pressure
Typical Weather: Fair
Fishing Trends: Typical Weather: Normal fishing
Suggested Tactics: Experiment with your favorite baits and lures.

Falling Pressure
Typical Weather: Degrading
Fishing Trends: Most active fishing
Suggested Tactics: Speed up lures. Surface and shallow running lures may work well.

Slightly Lower Pressure
Typical Weather: Usually cloudy
Fishing Trends: Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive.
Suggested Tactics: Use shallow running lures at a moderate speed.

Low Pressure
Typical Weather: Rainy and stormy
Fishing Trends: Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains.
Suggested Tactics: As the action subsides, try fishing at deeper depths.
It is important to note that after a long feeding period, the action will slow regardless of the following conditions. On the flip side, a long period of poor fishing conditions may be followed by a really good one.
It is also important to note, that the barometric pressure is just one of many factors that effect fish feeding habits. Other effects include water temperature, light, tidal forces, water clarity, the pH level, water levels, wind/surface disturbance, boat traffic, fishing pressure, and so on. Another good judging factor of fishing is the solunar effects which play a role in the tidal and illumination factors.

trollmiester
11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Thats the best information i ever saw thanx so much will carry it in my tackle box.devorflyer thanx again

Fishingdachronarch201E7
11-20-2013, 08:34 AM
X2 Trollmiester, GREAT STUFF!!!! good job DEVOREFLYER!!!!

this will be huge in the future and tonite....

Thanks again....

madbass
11-20-2013, 09:01 AM
from all the years i've been on this site with all the useful infomration; this is by far the best infomration i've ever read!
simple, easy to read, and stratight to the point.

THANK YOU!!!!

Alex.

TaperSteve
11-20-2013, 09:30 AM
If you do make it out there Saturday come join us for the Team 57 & BB Custom Rods event called "Trout"sgiving! There is no additional cost to participate and anyone can join and weigh-in a fish. There will be lots of prizes, free raffle, Thanksgiving themed potluck, prizes for the kids, and much much more....

For more details on the event and to sign-up visit the "Fishing Rendezvous" section here on FNN. Hope to meet you there!

The event will go on rain or shine and the fishing should be good either way too.

Awesome comment from trolly and lots of good info from DEVOREFLYER.

TS

Mr T-rex
11-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Nice information Devore
Also you might want to keep it natural and throw half a nightcrawler.. ive always had success like that
and they also come closer to shore for some reason

seal
11-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Devore your information sucks.

Just trying to keep you humble.

DEVOREFLYER
11-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Devore your information sucks.

Just trying to keep you humble.

Never trust FREE information. :Envious:

Send me $5 I need a larger hat. :Big Grin:

BentRod
11-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Keep in mind Irvine gets pretty muddy. Oh great summary on weather conditions !:Beer Toast:

TroutOnly
11-20-2013, 05:22 PM
D/f why did you to them that blarney,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,now they think they know whats up......lol,,,,,,,,,,j/k,,,,,,,,,,man youre like a human google-it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DEVOREFLYER
11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Bob you know and I know it's more than just the barometer. It's also lunar cycle, tidal cycle (even on inland waters), water level changes, water temp and water clarity also bait selection (color and size) and much more. So many things to figure out, so little time to fish, that's why it's called fishing and not catching. You my friend have it figured out through your hard work, diligence and many years of experience. I am still in the learning curve but making progress daily. Stealth, cunning and a little luck also helps. lol

Hometown
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Great info

karalm
11-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Do not worry about the rain on SAT (it will have passed) its going to be the Wind that is going to provide the trouble. When it blows easterly after a front passes, Irvine can get nasty and I am hearing its going to blow up to 30 mph on Sat. We will see.....

VineVideos
11-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Do not worry about the rain on SAT (it will have passed) its going to be the Wind that is going to provide the trouble. When it blows easterly after a front passes, Irvine can get nasty and I am hearing its going to blow up to 30 mph on Sat. We will see.....

Man.... 30 and I'm heading for cover. My trusty smartphone says NNE at 7 for Sat. I could handle that !! I know the lake would like for it to dump several inches of rain.
We need it to get the level up. But not on weekends! Will have to put in that order.

Thanks and Tight Lines !!

DJ

exfactor
11-21-2013, 08:11 AM
The wind is your worst enemy when fishing, especially in the cold months. But, I'm sticking with my favorite saying "the best time to go fishing is when you can!"

pcuser
11-21-2013, 08:12 AM

High Pressure
Suggested Tactics: Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

Rising Pressure
Suggested Tactics: Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

Falling Pressure
Suggested Tactics: Speed up lures. Surface and shallow running lures may work well.

Slightly Lower Pressure
Fishing Trends: Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive.

Low Pressure
Fishing Trends: Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains.
It is important to note that after a long feeding period, the action will slow regardless of the following conditions. On the flip side, a long period of poor fishing conditions may be followed by a really good one.
It is also important to note, that the barometric pressure is just one of many factors that effect fish feeding habits. Other effects include water temperature, light, tidal forces, water clarity, the pH level, water levels, wind/surface disturbance, boat traffic, fishing pressure, and so on. Another good judging factor of fishing is the solunar effects which play a role in the tidal and illumination factors.

I'm impressed. That's the best I've ever seen regarding weather and rain... Clear, thorough, and succinct.

HawgZWylde
11-21-2013, 08:51 AM

High Pressure

Rising Pressure

Falling Pressure

Slightly Lower Pressure

Low Pressure

Good info Dev!

In simpler terms 3 days pre-frontal fishing is usually the best due to the change in the barometric pressure. Depending on the severity and length of the front, fishing during the rain itself can be fantastic, but the harder and longer it falls, and the severity of the wind will determine how hot the bite will be, and how long the post-frontal bite will take to recover, usually 2-4 days depending on how severe the BP rises. Lol, and what truly sucks is that Tuesday is our day to hit the water and for the last couple of years it never fails, we always get the middle of the high pressure "East wind" days. "West is best and East is least"...

trollmiester
11-21-2013, 10:52 AM
weather.com says 7mph and only ten percent of chance of rain on Saturday.looks good

Nipple Twister
11-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Devoreflyer, great piece of info all bundled up and bottom lined, well done!

Trolly posted:
weather.com says 7mph and only ten percent of chance of rain on Saturday.looks good

Chris, this time don't push Pontoon outta the boat............:LOL::ROFL:

DockRat
11-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Never trust FREE information. :Envious:

Send me $5 I need a larger hat. :Big Grin:
lol

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2009-07-01-196967.112113_Easytounderstand_barometric_pressure _and_impact_on_fishing.html

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o437/creation_balloons/giant_monopoly_top_hat_prop_01.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/creation_balloons/media/giant_monopoly_top_hat_prop_01.jpg.html)

troutdog
11-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Dr. Trolly Fischbeck for weatherman of the year! :Not Worthy:

Great info in this thread, thanks for sharing...

See you at the lake Saturday.

TD

dvalrez
11-22-2013, 03:52 PM
It has been a long while since my family and I have been out to the vine. Thanks for the great information and hope to all of you there.
LETS GO FISH!