PDA

View Full Version : unsual bite at silverwood lake

alexgee926
11-18-2013, 04:29 PM
caught this 7 almost 8 pound trout at silverwood the other day using a 10 inch swimbait when fishing for striper. never experienced trout going for big swimbaits but i guess this guy was really hungry! lol. after him i noticed another slightly smaller trout chasing my bait.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/daf12345/trout1_zps5e2dd0c7.jpg (http://s55.photobucket.com/user/daf12345/media/trout1_zps5e2dd0c7.jpg.html)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/daf12345/trout_zps00d78b4c.jpg (http://s55.photobucket.com/user/daf12345/media/trout_zps00d78b4c.jpg.html)

TroutOnly
11-18-2013, 04:33 PM
they dropped a load of brood fish ,but they did not announce it ,a couple of my pals caught big trout on smaller swimbaits out in the main channel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice catch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
11-18-2013, 04:40 PM
That's a nice one there.

It's no surprise that they'll go for a swimbait. This just brings up some old plans.

Pete Marino
11-18-2013, 06:07 PM
I had a giant trout that probably weighed about 8-9lbs chase my chatterbait two weeks ago. I wanted that dude to eat it!!! but he didn't lol

Pete

alexgee926
11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
lol what part of the lake?
I had a giant trout that probably weighed about 8-9lbs chase my chatterbait two weeks ago. I wanted that dude to eat it!!! but he didn't lol

Pete

stocker
11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
big bait-big fish works every time no matter the species, wtg!!

seal
11-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Isn't the first report since the brood stock dump that I've heard of a swimbait trout. One was caught while I was there at the backside quiet cove area. Funny thing is the trout seem more productive on swimbaits then the damn stripers!

The Lone Fisherman
11-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Very nice! Time to bring out the big swimbaits for trout...

madbass
11-19-2013, 10:13 AM
thats bad *** right there. heard of it before but never seen it.

thank you!!

Master Baiter1
11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Isn't the first report since the brood stock dump that I've heard of a swimbait trout. One was caught while I was there at the backside quiet cove area. Funny thing is the trout seem more productive on swimbaits then the damn stripers!

The insanity of it all. What is wrong with those Silverwood stripers? LOL

seal
11-19-2013, 10:26 AM
The insanity of it all. What is wrong with those Silverwood stripers? LOL

I think the trout are taking over.

MikesOcean
11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I heard the trout are crashing on those silverwood dinks. LOL

alexgee926
11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
i have no idea y no one is really killing the striper on swimbaits like last year around this time, but on stock day you still see the trout getting chased and floating on top like they were attacked. only seen about 3 decent size striper caught on stock day

Master Baiter1
11-19-2013, 10:47 AM
I think the trout are taking over.

I hope it's not because of me catching all the big duct spawning stripers. I joked with you about affecting the stripers at Silverwood from keeping all my catches unlike I used to just release, especially the big spawners. Now you got me thinking HAHA.

seal
11-19-2013, 10:52 AM
i have no idea y no one is really killing the striper on swimbaits like last year around this time, but on stock day you still see the trout getting chased and floating on top like they were attacked. only seen about 3 decent size striper caught on stock day

It was bound to happen. Several good years in a row had some of the locals talking about a downward turn this year. Also DVL having down years recently meant many more fisherman at Silverwood, is it possible that took a toll on the mid to large size fish? I got no idea actually, last year topwater in Oct and Nov produced most fish in the 3-8lbs range, this year I'm lucky if I get a 2 on a spook.

So I suggest everybody hits Castaic, Pyramid and DVL, no fish at the Wood!

alexgee926
11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
i wish those lakes werent so far lol, i live right by silverwood so i have to tough it out until the bite pics up. stock is coming up in a day or two so im hoping to land some big striper
It was bound to happen. Several good years in a row had some of the locals talking about a downward turn this year. Also DVL having down years recently meant many more fisherman at Silverwood, is it possible that took a toll on the mid to large size fish? I got no idea actually, last year topwater in Oct and Nov produced most fish in the 3-8lbs range, this year I'm lucky if I get a 2 on a spook.

So I suggest everybody hits Castaic, Pyramid and DVL, no fish at the Wood!

bodfish
11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Hey Guys,
The original "trout swim baits" were made to catch trout. the LMB and Stripe applications came later.

bodfish

Pete Marino
11-20-2013, 10:23 AM
As you leave the launch ramp make an immediate left into the back of that large cove. On the right side there is a lot of grass from 7-15ft..It extends all the way to the buoy line in the back of the cove.

Pete

TroutOnly
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
hey seal go to the pvr stocking ramp right after a stocking and throw a 12inch trout swimbait and see wht happens , a 10lb brownie with razor teeth my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

seal
11-20-2013, 11:36 AM
As you leave the launch ramp make an immediate left into the back of that large cove. On the right side there is a lot of grass from 7-15ft..It extends all the way to the buoy line in the back of the cove.

PeteBut don't toss over the bouy line this year, they will get on ya! Years past no problem this year, problem.

seal
11-20-2013, 11:38 AM
hey seal go to the pvr stocking ramp right after a stocking and throw a 12inch trout swimbait and see wht happens , a 10lb brownie with razor teeth my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

Ya know that's on my list for this spring. Haven't freeze tubed PVR in quite a few years, always enjoy your reports!

TroutOnly
11-20-2013, 11:58 AM
the big browns will already be hanging around the stock zone ,the other areas have closed for the year ,so the res and the river will be getting there constant stocks till next spring,,,,,,,dont you love tubing in 40 degree water ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,

seal
11-20-2013, 12:27 PM
the big browns will already be hanging around the stock zone ,the other areas have closed for the year ,so the res and the river will be getting there constant stocks till next spring,,,,,,,dont you love tubing in 40 degree water ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yup aware of the open waters and closures, but I'll wait till spring, not that the water will warm much but at least the air temp. will be a little better. Oh and playing around the Res. in icy weather is a good recipe for another blown out knee!

Pete Marino
11-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Really.. Yeah I stopped at the Buoy line because the grass was better a little further back towards the point.. why is that area buoyed off anyway????

Pete

TroutOnly
11-20-2013, 04:28 PM
no motorized boats ,same on the miller cayon side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Stray Cat
11-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Bingo.... AC plug...

seal
11-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Really.. Yeah I stopped at the Buoy line because the grass was better a little further back towards the point.. why is that area buoyed off anyway????

Pete

Pete your description had me scratching my head anyway. Not sure if you are talking about entering into the channel then first cove or whether you are talking about heading into Miller or Cleghorn and their first coves (by the outlet tower or Black Oak/swimbeach). If by the outlet tower cove then no trespass past that bouy line and yup they are getting on people hard this year that even toss over that line let alone those that like to "stray" past that bouy line. If you are talking about other bouy'd off areas in Cleghorn and deep in Miller then Bob is correct no motors past those areas. Other bouy's setup in coves down the main channel only indicate 5mph limits. But once again based on your description it's hard to tell, a left to me would indicate towards Cleghorn and the Black Oak area where the swimbeach is.

Jmac
11-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Way to go Alex. Was trolling hashtags on Instagram the other day and saw your catch. I know the pigs are hard to come by, but like Seal had said, top water bite was not nearly as good as last year and the big girls are nowhere to be found. Fished it Sunday from 1:30 am until 7 am and all I managed was one swipe at my swim bait and that's all. Maybe some more candy bar stockings will kick it up.

Pete Marino
11-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Seal... sorry I was in a hurry the day I posted that.... leave the launch ramp and go straight across to Las Animas Point..its the point across from Rocking Chair. Cruise that shore all the way to the back of Cleghorn. That whole right side has a ton of grass between 8-16 ft deep all the way back to the buoy line.

Pete

seal
11-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Seal... sorry I was in a hurry the day I posted that.... leave the launch ramp and go straight across to Las Animas Point..its the point across from Rocking Chair. Cruise that shore all the way to the back of Cleghorn. That whole right side has a ton of grass between 8-16 ft deep all the way back to the buoy line.

Pete

In years past some of my favorite stomping grounds. Well before they stopped planting trout down there was a great area to hunt big stripey. But always has been a decent LMB area, cats., crappie you name it. Lot's of LMB fry back there this year, as usual.

*eat*
11-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Big trout (i.e. Eastern Sierra brown trout) will definately eat smaller trout....sometimes detrimental to their own lives. Check out this glutonous hog of a brown, had one in its belly & went for seconds only to die in the process.....
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/_eat_eat_eat/brown_eats_1-1.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/_eat_eat_eat/media/brown_eats_1-1.jpg.html)