PDA

View Full Version : Woah! Silverwood finally has its own sub forum!, plus my report

flyhigh123
11-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks MOD!

Since this is the first post in the sub forum, here is my report!

Got to the lake Saturday around 7:30am. It was cold and wind was blowing hard with a slight drizzle here and there. We were probably one of 6 boats total on the water for the day. Launched the boat and realized my battery was dead after sitting for a month.

Damn.

Luckily the marina had jumper cables! Carefully drove my car to the waters edge and jumped the boat! Back in success.

Hit the water and went to my usual troll spot and got started, instantly hook ups on both rods. Brought it in and they were dinks, small schoolies. Threw them back and reset, within a few minutes rods go off again.

At this rate if be limited in an hour! So instead of circling the same spot I thought I'd keep trolling hoping to find bigger units.

Kept trolling and as silver wood is, quickly kicked my ***. I got snagged and lost one rig. So I reset then trolled again and within 30 min snagged again and lost another rig. I used my rig retriever and that too got snagged! Silver wood has so many spots that show 30-50ft deep but has trees that stick up in the 15-25ft range.

Silver wood eats my rigs like a fat kid loves cake.

The bite just stopped after 10am. It just shut off, and even circling back to my earlier spots proved dead. Lesson learned to milk a spot until it stops producing instead of thinking I could come back anytime and fish it.

The wind really kicked up by noon and made it almost impossible to troll. I would guess the gusts were 50mph plus.

Took a break in a small cove and made lunch on the grill. Hot dogs and homemade pastrami.

It was a great meal to warm the belly!

While having lunch I also threw out some dines and baited. Just as lunch was over, my rod goes off. Barely a fight I bring to the boat a real skinny lmb. Luckily got hook out of his guy safely and released him. Surprised how skinny he was.

By now it was 2pm, cold, and wind was still screaming. We called it a day and took off early.

Ended the day with 15plus. Kept about 10 but when we got to the ramp we decided to share the catch with some of the people from shore since it was a brutal windy cold day for some of the guys we talked to.

I took home 3 fish for my grandma.

All in all a great time!

fishermanx14
11-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks op!

Op is original poster...maybe you are referring to the moderators of the website (mods)?....Swwet report btw!

flyhigh123
11-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Op is original poster...maybe you are referring to the moderators of the website (mods)?....Swwet report btw!

lol, yah, i meant mod

fishincouple
11-17-2013, 08:17 PM
AWESOME to hear my backyard lake gets it's own spot!! SWEET! TY!! TY for the report. Yeah..that wind is a motherfather out there! Glad to hear you got some fish on tho! Brother and I decided NOT to take the boat out, but drive to the backside today. Sorry we did. Picked up 1 schoolie on a chovie...nothing else on anything we threw. To boot...the lake was beautiful. Not a lick of wind..glass! Should been on the boat!

catchingsomefish
11-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Way to stick with it on a cold day, at least you got some action! sorry to hear about your rigs...................Dave

flyhigh123
11-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Way to stick with it on a cold day, at least you got some action! sorry to hear about your rigs...................Dave

I think what caused me to lose extra rigs was that when my Fish finder said i was going a certain speed, i was going much slower than that since the top water being blown was giving me a false reading so i was actually not really moving that fast which let my rigs drop lower than usual. I realized it when my FF said i was going 3mph and i looked to the land and realized i was just standing in place and not even moving!

Thanks!

btw, anyone give suggestion on how to post picture from computer?

MikesOcean
11-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Good job out there FH!

Ya that place eats rigs like no other if you get snagged. A rig retriever for that place is a must!!

And the saying goes " Never leave biting fish" and yup I do it too when I hit the butt load of dinks. LOL

On another note, Sweet the wood has its own board!!!

seal
11-19-2013, 08:37 AM

I don't like it one bit! Am protesting to the mods., might result in extra people at the lake, not a fan of people.

MikesOcean
11-19-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't like it one bit! Am protesting to the mods., might result in extra people at the lake, not a fan of people.

Too Funny!

flyhigh123
11-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Good job out there FH!

Ya that place eats rigs like no other if you get snagged. A rig retriever for that place is a must!!

And the saying goes " Never leave biting fish" and yup I do it too when I hit the butt load of dinks. LOL

neve leave biting fish.... i like that...

i had a rig retreiver on 500 pound spec line and i still lost it... when retreiving the hook snagged a trunk or log cause it would not budge!

This summer, i am bringing my diving gear and going rig shopping in silverwood!

EL JEFE
11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Great first report to the Silverwood sub forum! I asked the mods for a Silverwood sub-section back in May. Glad to see they responded!

seal
11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Great first report to the Silverwood sub forum! I asked the mods for a Silverwood sub-section back in May. Glad to see they responded!

So you're the guilty party!