PDA

View Full Version : Good fishing and good time the vine for the seeker event.

Big Willy
11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Packed house on the west shore, land and by boat. Seemed like fish were being landed all around from shore, but we couldn't buy a bite from our rental. I have a portable fish finder that said the fish were around but we wern't getting any bites. We pulled anchor and started trolling the flicker shads and CD5's around the lake at about 100-120 feet behind the boat. I like using the power pro meters braid with a 20 foot top shot of fluorocarbon. Less stretch with that much line out, I feel like the lure has a bit more action to it. Did best around the shallow areas of the flats with about 5 other boats around and we all did great, even had a double hookup on the flicker shad's. Ended up with 9 fish between the two of us with the biggest one being three pounds. Seemed like all those fish together were smaller than the winner. That thing was a HOG! I can't wait to bring my daughter next year. Great event thanks to al involved.

Will

shift21
11-16-2013, 10:52 PM
willy, your trip sounded great!

i took my son and my friend took his we partied in his boat, we got 1 trout thats it we trolled we drop shot we bait casted we used night crawlers and jigs and power bait and everything you can think of and we got 2 bites between the 4 of us. not the best of luck for us today, but hey the kids still had a blast and we have fun hanging out talking enojying the lake, they did a great job setting up the raffles (even thought my numbers were nver close) and the bbq was great everyone was having fun and talking i enjoyed it a lot, i cant wait for the next one.

VineVideos
11-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Packed house on the west shore, land and by boat. Seemed like fish were being landed all around from shore, but we couldn't buy a bite from our rental. I have a portable fish finder that said the fish were around but we wern't getting any bites. We pulled anchor and started trolling the flicker shads and CD5's around the lake at about 100-120 feet behind the boat. I like using the power pro meters braid with a 20 foot top shot of fluorocarbon. Less stretch with that much line out, I feel like the lure has a bit more action to it. Did best around the shallow areas of the flats with about 5 other boats around and we all did great, even had a double hookup on the flicker shad's. Ended up with 9 fish between the two of us with the biggest one being three pounds. Seemed like all those fish together were smaller than the winner. That thing was a HOG! I can't wait to bring my daughter next year. Great event thanks to al involved.

Will

I have to agree with the braid thing, Willy. For me, staying way behind the boat has been very productive. And using braid with a top shot of fluorocarbon is the hot ticket. I have been doing better with the
Firetiger Flicker Shads than anything else. Lots of tournaments in November and December and big stocks on the way !! Twice a week including the Kids Lagoon. With the water starting to cool, it is going
to be a great season.

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Thanks so much for the report.

DJ

Big Willy
11-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Shift 21,
Were you fishing the west shore from a boat all day? it seemed like the biting fish were all over the shore fisherman. I could only watch that for so long before I went to troll fishing. I did a lap or two around the dam area and it was getting more dam packed by the minute. Flats ended up fishing really nice for us. Last year I would rent a boat and drive it to the west shore past the people that hiked out and beach it. Fish from shore for the first two or three hours then go trolling. Usually worked out pretty well.

DJ,
Another thing that I have fallen for are the keel weights for trolling. I like the fact you can run some lures on top and some down lower in the water column without using lead core or getting tangled. I would love it if berkley came out with a keel weight in the shape and color of some of the more popular flicker shad's. I think that would be pretty cool to run a firetiger flicker shad shaped keel weight with the same lure following it 4 or 6 feet back. Work great under the lures I'm trolling at 8-10 feet deep. Or to troll closer to the boat and getting the lure to 10 feet deep without getting tangled in the other lines that are way out. I can just imagine the keel weight with the color getting noticed. Then the actual lure coming buy shaking and fleeing a good reaction from trout. Almost look like it's trying to catch up to the keel weight that looks the same. Did that even make sense?

Will

VineVideos
11-17-2013, 01:13 PM
DJ,
Another thing that I have fallen for are the keel weights for trolling. I like the fact you can run some lures on top and some down lower in the water column without using lead core or getting tangled. I would love it if berkley came out with a keel weight in the shape and color of some of the more popular flicker shad's. I think that would be pretty cool to run a firetiger flicker shad shaped keel weight with the same lure following it 4 or 6 feet back. Work great under the lures I'm trolling at 8-10 feet deep. Or to troll closer to the boat and getting the lure to 10 feet deep without getting tangled in the other lines that are way out. I can just imagine the keel weight with the color getting noticed. Then the actual lure coming buy shaking and fleeing a good reaction from trout. Almost look like it's trying to catch up to the keel weight that looks the same. Did that even make sense?

Will[/QUOTE]

Hey Will,

I am going to be producing a new fishing video tutorial on the fine art of trolling for trout. This is going to be with members of the Irvine Lake/Berkley Pro Team. I'm sure the Flicker Shad
will be one of the lures we are working with as well as others. I will mention to them what you are saying here and we will see what we can incorporate into the new video.

I have been thinking about this video for some time. We have great tutorials on our website from Kewly. This will be an added bonus if you will, that will go more in depth on trolling
these crank baits.

Hopefully, I can have this new one on line real soon; certainly before the holidays. I need to learn more about this also because trolling is really what I love to do at Irvine Lake.

Thanks Much !!

Danny

Rooster
11-17-2013, 01:33 PM
I been a keel weight fan myself for the same reasons. Much better fight with the keel over the lead !
There are several companys that make what your talking about.
Some even come painted and have a hook on them just incase :Cool:
Bass pro sells some nice ones also.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_42748____SearchResults

We will be out there Saturday for the Team 57 event this weekend. Hope 2 cya out there!

Big Willy
11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Just ordered some of them, the swivel even looks to be made well. Thanks for the heads up Rooster. I think berkley should do some that matches the flicker shads, great add on product for them. It would be a good seller at the lake and beyond.
Hmmmm, this weekend. Im sure the wife has something planned for us because she let me fish this weekend. I can usually get around that by having her little brother(he is 21) ask her to have me take him fishing. She will do anything he asks. He is my not so little fishing buddy. Always does something funny. Usually costs me a rod or a few lures, but I don't even mind because he is always trying. Maybe I can sneak away for the day. Im fishing the turkey shootout. Might even camp.

VineVideos
11-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I been a keel weight fan myself for the same reasons. Much better fight with the keel over the lead !
There are several companys that make what your talking about.
Some even come painted and have a hook on them just incase :Cool:
Bass pro sells some nice ones also.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_42748____SearchResults

We will be out there Saturday for the Team 57 event this weekend. Hope 2 cya out there!

Rob.... I like the idea and think I will order some also. I see weights from 1/2 to 3 oz. What do you think? Or some of each ??

DJ

Rooster
11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
That's the tricky part DJ. Depends on boat speed, lure depth & how much line you are letting out from the boat.
A flicker shad 7 for example. Letting out 80 feet of line puts that lure at 10 feet. Setting it back 120 feet puts that lure at 15 feet.

I usually run a 3/8 or 1/2 oz when trolling keel sinkers at the vine. As usually I am targeting trout in the 6-10 foot range.

I use them because IMO some of the best running lures I have are shallow runners and without some assistance the lure can not reach the target zone.

I really need a copy of PRECISION TROLLING or some of the data stickers.

VineVideos
11-17-2013, 07:43 PM
That's the tricky part DJ. Depends on boat speed, lure depth & how much line you are letting out from the boat.
A flicker shad 7 for example. Letting out 80 feet of line puts that lure at 10 feet. Setting it back 120 feet puts that lure at 15 feet.

I usually run a 3/8 or 1/2 oz when trolling keel sinkers at the vine. As usually I am targeting trout in the 6-10 foot range.

I use them because IMO some of the best running lures I have are shallow runners and without some assistance the lure can not reach the target zone.

I really need a copy of PRECISION TROLLING or some of the data stickers.

Well.... first I will get some of these keel weights in a variety of colors and weights. Next.... I am talking with some of the Berkley Pro Team now and we are going
to make an effort to produce a really good, informative tutorial video on the fine art of trolling at the vine. Stay tuned.

Big Willy
11-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Sweet, i'm looking forward to checking it out.