PDA

View Full Version : first time

Fishin4runner
11-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Well got to the lake today and was first in line and first boat to launch. Decided to try for some swimbait action. Second cast Just past the wake buoys and a big blow-up but missed it, so I proceeded around the point and I see fish popping everywhere so I decided to cast behind the boat and slow-troll about 30 ft. from the bank and 30 sec. later I pick up my first ever striper on a swimbait. It weighed 6lbs. even, not huge but stoked as I got it on a swimbait. Not much after that so I decided to drop the rigs and troll for a few hours and picked up 4 dinks. Tried out my new downrigger but my 4 lb. cannonball is to light and the blowback was really screwing with my depth so picked up the four flatlinning. All in all great day on the water.

fishinone
11-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Congrats on the swimbait fish and the successful trolling.

catchingsomefish
11-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Thats pretty cool on the swimbait success! It is always fun when the plan of attack comes together, and ends up in a catch. Keep up the trolling, trust me, it just takes practice and perseverance. Congrats.........................Dave

Fishin4runner
11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
thanks catchingsome and fishinone, I love it when you decide to try something new and it works out. On the trolling side it is one of my favorite ways to fish, casting the big swims comes in a close second though I just wish I could get the right gear the first time instead of going through the trial and error sometimes. not sure what weight to go on the cannonball for the downrigger, i'm thinking maybe 8-10 lbs. all I can do is get one and try it.

TroutOnly
11-18-2013, 02:00 PM
HEAVIER DR WEIGHT AND SLOW YOURE SPEED,I HOPE YOURE DR CABLE IS HEAVY, I USE 120LB BRAID,,,,,AND 8LB WEIGHTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

Fishin4runner
11-18-2013, 02:56 PM
HEAVIER DR WEIGHT AND SLOW YOURE SPEED,I HOPE YOURE DR CABLE IS HEAVY, I USE 120LB BRAID,,,,,AND 8LB WEIGHTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,
I think its got 150 lb. Stainless. When I change it out I was thinking about going to braid. And thanks for the info on the DR weight.

TroutOnly
11-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I dont use wire i dont like the humming it creates,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wieght snubbers also help....................

Hardcor
11-18-2013, 05:45 PM
You are going to love the Down riggers ! Snubbers will save you for sure and I use a 12 pound weight with fins !

Nice day and nice fish !

Corey

MikesOcean
11-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Great job out there F4R on the swim bait fish!

Keep it rolling!