PDA

View Full Version : new species on the lc

tamddo714
11-14-2013, 09:21 PM
two days ago fished the local bay during a really low tide in the afternoon. After a few cast of the candy sardine LC hooked onto a nice 20" halibut (no pics) then a couple casts later hooked onto a needle fish. This a new species for me and thought it was a cool fish. Showed my dad what i caught and he told to be careful with those fishes because they like to jump and spear at you. Went onto wikipedia and they had two stories of kids that did die because they were speared by needle fish. enjoy lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/tamdo714/needle_zpsdc46eaae.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tamdo714/media/needle_zpsdc46eaae.jpg.html)

smokehound
11-15-2013, 06:25 AM
I used to eat these all the time, they can be quite numerous in Seal beach. Delicious, similar to jacksmelt, but better tasting.

SP Dan
11-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi ya tamddo714,

Now .... that's a :Cool: cool looking Needle Fish! It looks to be about 20" in length ... am I close?!

This one will have to be a fish to put on my bucket list for sure!

Thanx for the fish report with pic! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

Wingnut
11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
I used to eat these all the time, they can be quite numerous in Seal beach. Delicious, similar to jacksmelt, but better tasting.

Are there any meat on these fish? lol

Pretty cool looking fish, probably in the Barracuda family?

bachiboy
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Very cool catch t714! Never seen one of these caught in local waters, but have heard about it. They're thick as fleas down in the East Cape, and yes, they can be dangerous.

Thanks for sharing!
Don

smokehound
11-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Are there any meat on these fish? lol

Pretty cool looking fish, probably in the Barracuda family?They've got quite a bit of meat, actually. You can get some nice fillets from larger needles; while they're long and appear skinny, they're thick and cylindrical like a fat sardine. (which are delicious when cooked fresh, i highly recommend everyone try fresh sardine)

They're in the halfbeak/flyingfish family, Beloniformes.

Ifishtoolittle
11-15-2013, 11:08 PM
i highly recommend everyone try fresh sardine)

I second that! Fresh Sardine is delicious!!! Even Mackerel is really tasty too when fresh.

MoreThenYou
11-16-2013, 04:20 PM
My 4 year old snagged one in the brackish water in the san gabrial river inlet with a white bucktale jig.

TUNAVIC
11-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Wow very cool,nice sub species,thanks for sharing!

Cya TUNAVIC