PDA

View Full Version : Late Report 11.9 Trout Derby

Carptain_Bao
11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I've been waiting to get on some trout action for a while. Arrived at the campground around 8pm found a lot of my team 57 friends were there already. Had a great night with you guys by the campfire, fish story sharing, trash talking, game plan sharing.

Woke up around 4:30, waited til 5 to get my breakfast burrito and register for the tournament. Then hurried back to my truck and drove to west shore road anxiously waiting in line. Was on the water by 6:20. Had one rod out with Fool's Bait Co. yoke sack in SoCal Sunrise color with an orange colored worm dipped in bite-on. And I was drop-shotting a Fool's Bait Co. Crazy Worm in my most confident Passion Plum color. While watching everyone catching fish around me, I really felt that my trout skill is very rusted after a whole summer of bass fishing. I am so used to set the hook on the lmbs now it is really hard for me to hook them trout on my black rock tackle rod. I tried to slow it down and make more subtle moves. Finally I had one trout commit on my drop shot. A beautiful trout towed me around and gave me a very nice fight, not too bad for the first fish of the day. But then it went dead for me for a whole hour. I just couldn't find em fish for some reason.

I then drifted down to another area, first cast, BOOM! Another one on my Fool's Bait Co. passion plum crazy worm, this guy is slightly smaller than the first trout however the cool thing about it is that it made several jumps before I actually got a chance to net it. I set my drag pretty tight but my p-line cxx 2lb was very reliable.

After landing my second keeper of the day I decided to go for larger models so I switched from a crazy worm to a Fool's Bait Co. hawg seekers that caught me numerous largemouth during the summer. But I didn't get any more hit nor metering any fish in that area. I did some trolling on my float tube with my trolling motor but still nothing was hitting. I headed back to the boat dock area. Immediately I had one bite on the drop shot passion plum worm but the fish peeled a couple yards of line then it was gone. What had happened? I retrieved my line only to find the line broke in the middle between my hook and drop shot weight for some reason. Then I had a fish on my dead stick rod but somehow i missed it as well.

Did some more trolling in the mid lake for a lot of nothing, headed to the cliff area for some drop shotting, no nibble at ALL! Drifted back to the west shore and kept fishing hard only to find more nothing. It was around 1:30 so time to head back and weigh my fish in.

I was the last one at the weigh in, 2 fish for 4.85lb, biggest fish was 2.55lb. Saw a lot of biggens got caught. Thought that I had no chance at winning the tournament, I was very frustrated after a tough day fishing. When they announced the blind bogey winners, I could not believe that my name was called! the number they selected was 4.85, my fish weighted at 4.85 even! My 2 fish won me 106 bucks, so not a bad way to end a day of fishing.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/zbao13/original_C3Nk_745e000038761190_zps01d6d4ed.jpg (http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/zbao13/media/original_C3Nk_745e000038761190_zps01d6d4ed.jpg.htm l)

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/zbao13/original_y06F_7b0b00003490125d_zps62d9325e.jpg (http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/zbao13/media/original_y06F_7b0b00003490125d_zps62d9325e.jpg.htm l)

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/zbao13/original_ZWVV_556c00003ec9125f_zpsa9f205a8.jpg (http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/zbao13/media/original_ZWVV_556c00003ec9125f_zpsa9f205a8.jpg.htm l)

Still can't believe that my trout opener did not go as well as I expected it to be. But I definitely learned some lessons and ready to put the hurt on them trout soon again! I will be back, biggens be aware!

Always good to fish with all the friends, old and new! Can't wait for more to come!

Bao

flybynight
11-13-2013, 01:29 AM
No tails on those trout ? ? ?

TaperSteve
11-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Congrats on the blind bogey win! Glad you were able to hang out with the crew the night before it's always such a great time. It was cool seeing you out there on your floating tank.

TS

Fishingdachronarch201E7
11-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Hey Captain Bao,

GREAT report!!! and WTG on $106 always a good day when u dont get skunked and come away with some cash!!!!

will see you next week or on the water!!!!, great job again!

Tony G
fishingdachronarch201e7

Hometown
11-13-2013, 05:42 PM
congrats buddy

Carptain_Bao
11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
No tails on those trout ? ? ?

Hi Flybynight, as you can see on the second photo, the trout on the right had a decent tail, not the other one tho.

Carptain_Bao
11-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Congrats on the blind bogey win! Glad you were able to hang out with the crew the night before it's always such a great time. It was cool seeing you out there on your floating tank.

TS
Thank you Steve, it is always a good time for sure. Hope to see you soon!

Carptain_Bao
11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey Captain Bao,

GREAT report!!! and WTG on $106 always a good day when u dont get skunked and come away with some cash!!!!

will see you next week or on the water!!!!, great job again!

Tony G
fishingdachronarch201e7

TonyG, thank you, sure feels pretty good heading home with some cash in hand. See you on the water!

Carptain_Bao
11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
congrats buddy

Thank you HT, when the Hometown crew goes down to the SD area just lemme know!

5150fishn
11-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Good seeing you out there bro! Nice catch on those great Fool's bait custom plastics.
Nice little payday to boot! Congrats!!!

Carptain_Bao
11-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Good seeing you out there bro! Nice catch on those great Fool's bait custom plastics.
Nice little payday to boot! Congrats!!!

Thank you Dan, good to hang out with you again! See you at the Troutsgiving!

Carptain_Bao
11-15-2013, 11:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxiBNEC0kI&feature=player_detailpage

here is a short vid i made for the tournament, the angle isn't too good, but hey, it's still something!

VineVideos
11-17-2013, 07:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxiBNEC0kI&feature=player_detailpage

here is a short vid i made for the tournament, the angle isn't too good, but hey, it's still something!

Hey Cap.... I enjoyed your video !! There's not much we can do when the sun gets up shot from us. We just have to deal with it. I always try to keep the sun
at my back but with fishing videography we don't have a controlled set. We just get what we get. The good news is that with today's technology, the sun glare is
really minimized. In the old days shooting into the sun was the kiss of death. One thing for sure, I would much rather be shooting on a sunny day than a cloudy one.
The sun really helps to bring out the colors.

Good work and keep it up bud! I know there are lot of GoPros in use at the Vine. Would love to see more anglers getting into the editing and more
posts of their fishing videos. It adds a whole new dimension to the words "Fish Report." Prowler Tuber does a fine job as do others.

You can also show what lures/baits you are using by laying the baits in the palm of your hand, holding it up close to the camera (with the sun at your back),
and insert edit it right in. Even some text if necessary. We do that in fish reports so why not in the fishing videos. Something to think about.

Again, good job and keep up the good work. Thanks Much !!

Danny J.

Carptain_Bao
11-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey Cap.... I enjoyed your video !! There's not much we can do when the sun gets up shot from us. We just have to deal with it. I always try to keep the sun
at my back but with fishing videography we don't have a controlled set. We just get what we get. The good news is that with today's technology, the sun glare is
really minimized. In the old days shooting into the sun was the kiss of death. One thing for sure, I would much rather be shooting on a sunny day than a cloudy one.
The sun really helps to bring out the colors.

Good work and keep it up bud! I know there are lot of GoPros in use at the Vine. Would love to see more anglers getting into the editing and more
posts of their fishing videos. It adds a whole new dimension to the words "Fish Report." Prowler Tuber does a fine job as do others.

You can also show what lures/baits you are using by laying the baits in the palm of your hand, holding it up close to the camera (with the sun at your back),
and insert edit it right in. Even some text if necessary. We do that in fish reports so why not in the fishing videos. Something to think about.

Again, good job and keep up the good work. Thanks Much !!

Danny J.
Hey DJ I really appreciate your comments and the tips! I still got a lot to learn about shooting fishing videos. I always enjoyed the vids you post up on FNN or lake website. I will see you soon at the VINE!