PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for fishing irvine!

mission89
11-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't know if I've posted this on the right thread but here it goes anyway, I apologize if it is. Ive been reading plenty of great reports about some excellent float tube fishing at irvine lake! consequently, i have gone out and bought my self an ODC 420L :) but I'm honestly still overwhelmed with all theses great post that I'm not sure what approach to take when fishing this lake for my first time next wednesday. I'm an avid trout fisherman and know the basics for drop-shoting, jigging, use power bait and so on but I've only done all these from shore. That being said if anyone could help me out and give me some advice on what setup i can use from a float tube id appreciate. I notice many guys use two rods while on the float tube and so I'm also trying to figure out what you use on one thats just sitting on the rod holder and i'd imagine the other is used for artificial's? well id appreciate any help, I'm not asking for the secret spots or bait, just trying to get an understanding what a good approach would be for me when i head over there! thanks in advance guys!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
11-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey Mission 89,

NICE, tubing is awesome, i just got into it myself and now im hooked plus istsaves you alot of money from renting boats

I was out on saturday....had 2 rods, one with powerbait and the other with a micetail in pink and white....in a hurry in the morning i accidently grabbed to salt rods and one trout, boooooo...so the setup was on the 10lbs test i put a treble hook with power bait and on the 4lb outfit i had a pink & white mice tail with both split shots 18 inches from bait, i was just drifting and landed 3, seemed to work for me....slow dragging across the bottom on the westshore, seemed everyone was landing them....i think you will be okay if you already have some trout expereince, sorry if this is short and doesnt make sene......

oh and i had tried spinner baits, hard lures, plastic worms for nothing and switched over to the power bait and micetail and started landing them :)

good luck out there

look forward to your report

check out my posting....

Thanks

Tony G

gogreeenz4
11-12-2013, 04:03 PM
drift crawlers on on one rod and powerbait on another over along the west shore... just do your same shore routine from a tube basically

5150fishn
11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
mission89,

Tony already gave you good advise but I will add a bit to it. I would use one rod for jigging or dropshoting trout worms and I would drift a night crawler on the other. Dipping all of it in one of the Bite-on scents to help out. Being mid week and lighter crowds I wouldn't right off throwing a Thomas Bouyant or Kastmaster which can be extremely effective also.
If your not getting bit move around and switch up baits/lures until you find what they want. No 2 days are the same and things can change from hour to hour.
Good luck and looking forward to your report!

TaperSteve
11-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Come to the BB Custom & Team 57 tournament called "Trout"sgiving! in a couple of weeks. There will be lots of other anglers all eager to share fishing tips, techniques, & strategies. There will be lots of good food and awesome prizes. There is no additional cost to attend the event and join the tournament. I guarantee you will meet some cool peeps and have a great time.

Check out the "Fishing Rendezvous" section here on FNN for more info and to sign-up. Hope you can make it!

TS

mission89
11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
thank you very much to all!..
When you guys drift has using a slip bobber been a good option? or just dragging the powerbait or bait of choice on the bottom been the ticket?

luckyjr21
11-12-2013, 07:26 PM
From what I've heard and seen the ticket is dragging inflated night crawlers with a small split shot about 18 inches from the hook , drag them very slowly across the west shore. Good luck out there , you're going to love tubbing its the best way for trout fishing

vdubfiend
11-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Everyones given good info now get out there!! Lol

I usually drift a pinched crawler about 12-24" off the bottom using the smallest splitshot possible.
On the second rod I throw jigs/plastics
I bring a 3rd rod that I'lll use for throwing Thomas bouyants, rapalas etc
I use 3 lb test and 4 on the rod I throw hard baits with

Colors change all the time but the whites, pinks and oranges (and mixes of these) all seem to work well for me

And you can't go wrong just outside buoy line along west shore.

Slip bobber can be deadly at times -- just depends where they're holding.

mission89
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
awesome guys!! thank you very much, its better info than what i was expecting! ill be out there next wednesday ill definitely post my report, if anyone goes let me know!

LBSea
11-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Go to West Shore. Kick Out to White Buoys approx 20-22' deep at that point. Drop (1) Drop Shot Rig with a Mice Tail about 18" up on 3lb Test & (1) Power Bait Rig with 18" leader 3lb test and egg weight. The key is very small & light wire hooks. If not the bait does not float well or get bit as often. If no bites in 20 min or so move to the next Buoy. The fish are in BIG schools right now so when you find them stay with them.

Use rod holders and just wait for the bites while sitting back and enjoying the view and nice weather!

That is all you need to know if tubing Irvine right now.

Good Luck!

Thisfool
11-14-2013, 08:17 AM
float tubing can be a very simple thing or you can make it very complicated.

some people will say drift, but most the time they mean to say drag. untill you get the hang of how to move around and have your float tubed set up to your liking i would sugesst leaving more advanced ways of fishing like dropshot and jigging for later. yes set up is important. when in your float tube you need everything to go as smooth as possible from the time you get into the water to the time you get out and everything inbetween. I know that sounds scary but you will figuar it all out really quick, i wish i could be more help then that but every one and i mean every one has there own way of doing things there is no right or wrong way to doing anything. the only thing i will say is try not to load every thing up on one side it will make turning dificult, that was my first lesson learnd the hard way my first time tubing.

Draging bait;

just use one split shot for your wheight. when your float tubing you will be draging your lines over allkinds of structur ie logs, bursh, weeds and rocks, and if your using to heavy of wheight you will get snaged up alot, but one 1/32 1/16 splitshot sikp over the top of the stuff instead of sinking into snags.

draging baits.

you can catch fish dragging almost anykind of bait. Just the action of kicking around will naturaly provide movement or action to your baits. Top baits to drag are power bait, powermouse combo and night crawler. Untill you have your seystem and prosedures to landing fish dialed in this is the simplest way to fish.

Finding the fish.

the number one advantage of float tubing over shore fishing is mobilty, so dont waist that advantage. I like to circle areas and once i get a bite or land a fish i will either kick back and forth over that one specific area or even sit still and keep casting and retriving (dropshot/jig). Basicly keep covering water untill you find them. Since you are covering water you do not need to make a mile long cast around 30 feet is plenty when draging bait. Obviously if your fishing deep water you need more line out then the water is deep.

fighting the fish:

once you are hooked up it is very important to keep the fish infront of you. this keeps your line from getting wraped around your other line, stringer, other peoples lines and even you (yes all of these things have happend to me). I like to get my net ready as quickly as possible one i am hooked up. once the fish is in neting distance the chances of geting wrapped up on your self or tube goes through the roof, so the net must be ready and the net job must be done as quick as possible. you defently dont want to be fumbling for your net when the fish is dangoursly close to your legs.

Dropshot/ jigging

you can sit still and make your cast (watch your other line dont want to cross lines of miss a bite on your other line due to not paying attention). You can also make one cast and keep kicking while working the bait this is basicly like making a never ending cast.

im sure i left tones out or if you have any other quests feel free to pm me ill tell you all i know.

ps
sorry for my spelling no spell check on phone and thats why i turn a wrench and dont wright books.

mission89
11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
thisfool,
This is awesome! thanks for the info! i sent you a pm!

InspectaDekz
11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
float tubing can be a very simple thing or you can make it very complicated.

some people will say drift, but most the time they mean to say drag. untill you get the hang of how to move around and have your float tubed set up to your liking i would sugesst leaving more advanced ways of fishing like dropshot and jigging for later. yes set up is important. when in your float tube you need everything to go as smooth as possible from the time you get into the water to the time you get out and everything inbetween. I know that sounds scary but you will figuar it all out really quick, i wish i could be more help then that but every one and i mean every one has there own way of doing things there is no right or wrong way to doing anything. the only thing i will say is try not to load every thing up on one side it will make turning dificult, that was my first lesson learnd the hard way my first time tubing.

Draging bait;

just use one split shot for your wheight. when your float tubing you will be draging your lines over allkinds of structur ie logs, bursh, weeds and rocks, and if your using to heavy of wheight you will get snaged up alot, but one 1/32 1/16 splitshot sikp over the top of the stuff instead of sinking into snags.

draging baits.

you can catch fish dragging almost anykind of bait. Just the action of kicking around will naturaly provide movement or action to your baits. Top baits to drag are power bait, powermouse combo and night crawler. Untill you have your seystem and prosedures to landing fish dialed in this is the simplest way to fish.

Finding the fish.

the number one advantage of float tubing over shore fishing is mobilty, so dont waist that advantage. I like to circle areas and once i get a bite or land a fish i will either kick back and forth over that one specific area or even sit still and keep casting and retriving (dropshot/jig). Basicly keep covering water untill you find them. Since you are covering water you do not need to make a mile long cast around 30 feet is plenty when draging bait. Obviously if your fishing deep water you need more line out then the water is deep.

fighting the fish:

once you are hooked up it is very important to keep the fish infront of you. this keeps your line from getting wraped around your other line, stringer, other peoples lines and even you (yes all of these things have happend to me). I like to get my net ready as quickly as possible one i am hooked up. once the fish is in neting distance the chances of geting wrapped up on your self or tube goes through the roof, so the net must be ready and the net job must be done as quick as possible. you defently dont want to be fumbling for your net when the fish is dangoursly close to your legs.

Dropshot/ jigging

you can sit still and make your cast (watch your other line dont want to cross lines of miss a bite on your other line due to not paying attention). You can also make one cast and keep kicking while working the bait this is basicly like making a never ending cast.

im sure i left tones out or if you have any other quests feel free to pm me ill tell you all i know.

ps
sorry for my spelling no spell check on phone and thats why i turn a wrench and dont wright books.

Well said Travis!