PDA

View Full Version : Huge Blues on the Prowl !!

VineVideos
11-12-2013, 12:23 PM
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/videooman/FallCatfish.jpg

Last night I had an opportunity to join Irvine Lake Staffer, Don Spencer, while he had some work to do for the lake after closing time. Right at sundown we
stopped at one of his favorite haunts and tried some catfishing. Don has always told me that the fall of the year is best for the big Blue Catfish. We didn't have
long to fish but what I saw was unbelievable. I have it all on video but will save that for later.

My son-in-law, Jack Lester, was with us and all we could do was watch in awe as Don put on a Blue Catfish Clinic and in 45 minutes he caught and released
more than 90 pounds of Blue's. That is more than 90 pounds total for three fish !!

He was fishing 60 pound braid, 7/0 hook, Mackerel and Black Skipjack (I purchased at an Asian market). It was all dipped in Bite-ON Cajun scent.

I know it is full on, wide open trout fishing right now and only going to get better. But, again, Don reminded me that early morning and late afternoon (it doesn't have to be dark),
these big Blues will bite. They are very much the predatory fish and love to move up and down the drop off's especially along the west shore.

Danny J.

Gio Perez
11-12-2013, 12:41 PM
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/videooman/FallCatfish.jpg

Last night I had an opportunity to join Irvine Lake Staffer, Don Spencer, while he had some work to do for the lake after closing time. Right at sundown we
stopped at one of his favorite haunts and tried some catfishing. Don has always told me that the fall of the year is best for the big Blue Catfish. We didn't have
long to fish but what I saw was unbelievable. I have it all on video but will save that for later.

My son-in-law, Jack Lester, was with us and all we could do was watch in awe as Don put on a Blue Catfish Clinic and in 45 minutes he caught and released
more than 90 pounds of Blue's. That is more than 90 pounds total for three fish !!

He was fishing 60 pound braid, 7/0 hook, Mackerel and Black Skipjack (I purchased at an Asian market). It was all dipped in Bite-ON Cajun scent.

I know it is full on, wide open trout fishing right now and only going to get better. But, again, Don reminded me that early morning and late afternoon (it doesn't have to be dark),
these big Blues will bite. They are very much the predatory fish and love to move up and down the drop off's especially along the west shore.

Danny J.

Awesome action, was he using a top-shot with his braided line or just straight braided line?

goodguy
11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Tis the season!

VineVideos
11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Gio....

He was not using any kind of top shot. Trying the braid directly to the hook and fly-lining. I am always impressed how "not line shy" these fish really are.
Jack and I each caught some "small" 12 pounders same method.

DJ

hookerz
11-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Damn, I want fish late hours now too!
Last week I hooked into the biggest kitty I've ever seen in Irvine (didn't land it but it was a monster).:EyePop:

Big Willy
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Don's the man. Knows every hump and bump in that lake to fish.

troutdog
11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I know what I'm doing Sunday morning and just before closing....CONGRATS DON!

TD

Gio Perez
11-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info!

HuskerRod
11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
If catching fish was a crime don spencer would be an outlaw

Catmando
11-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Great job!!! Gotta get back out there soon.