PDA

View Full Version : braided line for trout?

lunker-hunter209
11-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Has anyone ever tried using powerpro line for trout fishing? If so does it work? is it better then regular line? can trout see the powerpro braided line?

Big Willy
11-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Use the metered power pro line that changes color every 25 feet so you know how far your out when fly line trolling. Use a 10 to 20 foot leader of flourocarbon or Mono. Tie it to the line don't use a swivel to connect it. It works well and you can put a country mile of it on a reel. Also used it for jigging lake trout. I like it.

VineAssist
11-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Some guys are using the braided lines or super lines if you will for trout. However, it is not recommended fishing it straight to the hook. A lot of guys are fishing it with short topshots, if you are familiar with tuna fishing. These leaders or topshots are generally anywhere from a couple of feet up to 10ft depending on what you are planning on doing.

For mini jig fishing or lure fishing a short, say three foot leader or top shot of 4lb florocarbon is advised.
For bait fishing such as powerbaits and nightcrawlers it is recommended that you use a three to four foot leader of 2 or 4lb monofilament. The reason for the mono is that florocarboon has a tendency to sink due to its denser material than mono.
When it is recommend that you use a longer top shot of monofilament or florocarbon say 15ft.

The reason you need the florocarbon or monofilament topshot is to make the rig a little less visiable in the water and the BIGGEST reason is to have some stretch. Braided lines such as power pro have no stretch what-so-ever and you need that when fighting a fish.

Learn to tie and albright knot or a uni to uni for your lure fishing. When fishing bait I would just tie the braid to the swivel and attach a leader to the swivel.

VineVideos
11-10-2013, 07:25 AM
I agree with Willy. I use braid when trolling for trout. Seems to give the lure better action and gets bit better than straight mono rigs. I use about 10 foot of "wind on"
leader (no swivel) of 6 or 8 pound mist green mono or flourocarbon. Great results.

DJ

lunker-hunter209
11-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Ok. Thank You guys for your advise.