PDA

View Full Version : Troller fishermen I have a question for you

JoshR88
11-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Me and a buddy from my old high school were talking about irvine lake and how it's both one of our favorite trout lakes. We both agree on the troll it's almost impossible to not land at least one trout. He was telling me his favorite technique is to troll a night crawler with a split shot about 2 feet up. I told him I wasn't to sure about that technique, never done it or heard of anyone who has done it. I don't feel like he's lying because when I'm doing the bait and wait, night crawlers are my #1 go to bait. My question is has anyone else ever tried this? It seems a little crazy to me but I was thinking about stringing a pole up like this next time I go. Just wanted to know if I would be waiting my time trying this. Any comments would be appreciated.

4_D_ HALIBUT
11-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I've had excellent results trolling night crawlers behind a flasher. I don't think a split shot is heavy enough to get the bait down in the zone at trolling speed.

Marley
11-08-2013, 09:51 PM
He's probably talking about slow-trolling under a float tube and yes, it is absolutely deadly. If from a boat trolling it probably wouldn't work as the worm would be dragged across the surface. But if drifted on a light breeze... deadly.

Matt44
11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Slow trolled crawlers are great in the sierras behind flashers. Iv never givin it much of a shot down here in so cal with the stained water tye flickershads and rapalas kill it at irvine. Small lc's and mira shads work great as well.

VineVideos
11-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey Josh.... I am a troller at heart. Mainly because that is just about the only way I can be successful. I am relatively new to this trout fishing but really enjoying it the last few years.
I troll mainly the standard crank baits; Flicker Shads, SC Shiners, CD5's, etc. I have been really successful so far this season. The deep running lures have been working best for me this last week.

Since I started dropping the lures a long way behind the boat last winter, I have been doing much better. Think I was a little close to the boat before that. Also, my rigs set up with all braid except for
a short mono leader have been working better than straight mono. Not sure why. My guess is there is better action with the braid. Less stretch of course. If you really want good advice on trolling
for trout at Irvine Lake as their staffer named "Kewly." He is really the pro and is always eager to share his knowledge.

I am going to try the night crawlers more this winter. But not trolling. If the trolling gets tough, then I think I can do ok with the inflated crawlers using the Bite-ON scents. But while anchored up.

Tight Lines !

DJ

Big Willy
11-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Here is how I do that style trolling. Go to bass pro shop and look at what are called Keel weights. The problem you will run into with trolling the worm with a split shot is the line twist. The keel weight works as it sounds. Gets the worm down a bit and keeps your line from twisting. Use a swivel off the back of the weight, I usually replace the one that come on it with a better one. Then 4 or 5 foot of fluorocarbon leader. Some Keel weights even look like bait fish. Also look at Lurs Jensen spoons, Try the needlefish in many colors with the single hook and rig a worm on the hook like you would for the split shot rig behind the keel weight. Troll SLOW! That is also absolutely deadly for the school stripers at silver wood! Hope that helps.

TroutOnly
11-10-2013, 09:43 AM
you should have a swevel about 3ft up from youre hook then above it one or more split shots ,start with one or two i always spread them out about 6 iches from each other, going as slow as you can is the secret,,,,,if you want more info send me a p/m i will answer youre questions , and ive caught more trout on more lakes then most around,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,

JoshR88
11-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated! I'm going to give your tips a try next time I'm out there. I was planning on going next week but I'm having car issues. Thanks again for all the replies!

T/O I have no doubt that you've caught more trout then most. I read your reports all the time, your a beast on the water! reports like yours help get me through my miserable work weeks haha. I'd like to set up guide trip for some stripers but I need to save some money up first. Ill definitely hit you up if I need some tips.

VineVideos
11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Me and a buddy from my old high school were talking about irvine lake and how it's both one of our favorite trout lakes. We both agree on the troll it's almost impossible to not land at least one trout. He was telling me his favorite technique is to troll a night crawler with a split shot about 2 feet up. I told him I wasn't to sure about that technique, never done it or heard of anyone who has done it. I don't feel like he's lying because when I'm doing the bait and wait, night crawlers are my #1 go to bait. My question is has anyone else ever tried this? It seems a little crazy to me but I was thinking about stringing a pole up like this next time I go. Just wanted to know if I would be waiting my time trying this. Any comments would be appreciated.

http://www.irvinelake.net/general_information/videos/fishing-tutorial-videos

Hey Josh,

Not sure if you're aware of this but we have produced now a total of seven tutorial videos on different species and techniques for fishing Irvine Lake.
Two of these are with local guide and expert, "Kewly" Zimara, on the fine art of trolling for trout. Nothing there on trolling night crawlers, but it is a page on our website
you might find quite educational and informative.

We have more than a hundred thousand views on these tutorials to date. So please take a look. Hope it helps in some way.

I look forward to meeting you some day at the lake. I am the tall old guy who generally has a fishing rod in one hand and a video camera in the other !!

Tight Lines !!

Danny Jackson (VineVideos)

JoshR88
11-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks VineVideos! I thought I replied back a few days ago but I guess I didn't press send. Ive seen a few of your videos, they definitely taught me some stuff. When I get by a computer next time ill take a look at the rest of them. My iPhones been real slow lately, I think it's time for a new one. Ill definitely stop and say hi if I see you next time.