PDA

View Full Version : Curado E Question

Master Baiter1
11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I serviced my Shimano Curado E and Caenan reels today. I did the Caenan first and all went well. I then did the Curado and it did not have the anti reverse pawl in the reel. Reel worked fine and it was last serviced by Shimano about a year ago. So I clean and lube it and put it back together and it works fine. The part is in the schematic so I think it should be there but like I said the reel worked without it and works still. What can happen without that part in there? Did they remove it for a reason? These were my first attempts at servicing and it turned out well and was super easy to do. Any reel experts can comment on my situation? Shimano part number is 2404. The spot is there for it to slip onto just like my Caenan had.

Master Baiter1
11-08-2013, 07:46 PM
A little google searching and it seems like some people remove it and say it's not really necessary. I sent my reel in to Shimano last year cause it was making a high pitched noise. I guess their solution was to remove the anti reverse pawl instead of properly fixing it or sending me a new one.

Dr. MindBendo
11-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm referencing CU200E7 and part 2404 should be installed. It may have stuck to the gear part 3916 anti reverse ratchet. It will usually pull up when you remove part 3916.

Master Baiter1
11-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm referencing CU200E7 and part 2404 should be installed. It may have stuck to the gear part 3916 anti reverse ratchet. It will usually pull up when you remove part 3916.

Yes that's what it meshes with but Shimano service took it out. From my research, the anti reverse bearing is taking 90% of the load and the anti reverse pawl is a redundant back up to the bearing. I'm still surprised Shimano didn't put a new one in and instead removed the original one. I could see a DIYer doing that but the manufacturer that designed it with it to be in place and they remove it leaves me scratching my head. Oh well it's worked fine without it.

LBSea
11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I have had great luck with Shimano when taking in reels and rods for replacement, BUT I have had lousy service when it came to repairing reels.
I took one of my Trinidad 20 reels in because the clicker NEVER really held tight even when the setting was cranked down. I use this reel for White Sea Bass and wanted the clicker fixed. They had the reel for 3+ weeks and when I got it back there was NO difference. To make matters worst I started getting calls from the Shimano AR dept. saying I owed them for the repair. Funny but how did I get my reel back if I did not pay for the repair? They finally stopped calling. You don't know who is going to be working on your stuff and I do not trust some of the younger kids they have in their working on the reels.

Now I take my reels to tackle stores I can trust and can talk to the person working on it when getting them serviced, like Performance Tackle in Los Al or Glenns Tackle in Costa Mesa.

For warranty stuff I will still go to Shimano they are the BEST but that is it.

DarkShadow
11-13-2013, 12:47 PM
I have had great luck with Shimano when taking in reels and rods for replacement, BUT I have had lousy service when it came to repairing reels.

Sounds about right.

Although, sometimes it works in your favor since they would rather just send you out a new reel rather than deal with repairing it.

tamddo714
11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
i have a jdm curado 200e6 and it didnt come with the anti reverse. idk why

Master Baiter1
11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
i have a jdm curado 200e6 and it didnt come with the anti reverse. idk why

Did you buy it new?

tamddo714
11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
yes it was new, straight from japantackle