PDA

View Full Version : Installing a trolling motor

fishincouple
11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Installing a trolling motor on the pontoon and need some help/advice. First of all let me tell you that we are new to boating and don't know crap about wiring. We shopped, took advice from others on here and such and ended up with a Motorguide V-Max 24v/50"/75lb, bow mount model. We are using the mount that came with the unit and modifying the door as needed to accommodate. We have no clue how to wire!? We know we would like a plug type connection up front to the motor for easy connect (think I can handle). Now, do we use a separate battery system for this, or do we run off of the existing motor system (2 deep cells)? In-line charger? (what's that?) where do you install? If using existing boat system, do we need to charge after the day? How long can we run the tm? We also have a battery switch...1,2,ALL...where does come into play? SHOULD we run a separate system for the tm? THANK YOU for any info/links/trials/tribulations to can provide!! FC...FrednTina

DEVOREFLYER
11-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't know how your pontoon is setup but I am sure I could walk you through it. You need to have two separate dedicated batteries for the trolling motor. A charger is needed to recharge the batteries after each use and an inline charger is the way to go for convenience. You should be able to use the motor at least 5 hours if not on high speed all the time. Send me a PM and I will give my phone number to talk further or assist.

bstolton
11-06-2013, 08:13 PM
FC
Keep us posted on your progress, love to see some pics after you have everything hooked up. If Santa comes thru I will be installing a TM on my toon also.

fishincouple
11-10-2013, 08:24 PM
bstolton, saw you on the water today. That was us in the toon in Chamise. Just got our tm. Now we have to budget for batteries and get back to devoreflyer for set up! Looks like we will have to modify our gate or take the mount off everytime!? :Confused: Let ya know how it goes.

EL JEFE
11-11-2013, 02:35 PM
As suggested by Devore, you will need two dedicated batts for the TM. As large as you can store properly (Group 31 deep cycle would be great). I have a similar TM on my pontoon and could also guide through the install process if needed (PM me your number if you need assistance).

Here are few things to consider....

1. Before you drill any holes through deck, be sure to set in place where you want it and test these things..... deploy, return/store, and turn TM as needed. Also, consider bow gate in this process.

2. I use a 3 bank digital charger (Minn-Kota 315D). Great unit. I mounted it in my changing room and ran wires (10 gauge Anchor Marine duplex wire) to each battery (2 batts for TM and one for starting batt).

3. You want the two TM batts at bow near TM. Your TM plug will mount near batts.

4. Be sure to use all quality marine wire and terminals (tinned). I prefer Anchor Marine wire and terminals. Solder or crimp terminals. Good quality crimping too is essential (Anchor Marine makes nice quality wiring tools).

5. Do it right the fist time and use quality materials.

Good luck and take your time.

DockRat
11-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Thats some great advice El Jefe. Seen some hackers work on boats.

Do all your research, then do a clean install job.
DR

DockRat
11-12-2013, 08:00 AM
I went to Iboats. Typed in Motorguide V-max, good info here too.

http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=8300540

bstolton
11-12-2013, 08:04 PM
FC
Sorry I didn't realize that was you, next time wave me down and stop. Did you guys fish or just enjoy the beautiful day. I hope to make it up there a few more times before the weather turns.
Sounds like both DF and EH can help you with your install, would like to check it out when your done.
When I get ready to add a TM to my toon maybe EH or DF will be willing to help me if I supply the beer and pizza. LOL

fishincouple
11-13-2013, 06:39 AM
DV, EH, and DR...awesome help guys! Thank you all! Saving up for batteries and wiring. I will def hit you guys up if I need a pointer. With all the info, I may be able to do this!...YES, DR...I don't want to hack it...want that sh it to look pro! :Dancing Banana:

DEVOREFLYER
11-13-2013, 07:07 AM
fishincouple I have all the tools and free advice if ya need it and I am just down the hill from ya. Don't forget to get battery trays to hold the batteries. You big motor battery is charged off the motor and is probably located close to the motor. The trolling motor is going to be located far at the front and to eliminate a long wiring run should have the battery's located close by to make the job easier. A two bank charger for the trolling motor only would do it if you use the boat frequently. Call me if you have questions.

As an after though you might be able to modify or swap out the hinges on the door to make it removable and not have to modify it, a much easier job.