PDA

View Full Version : Catch more and bigger perch, guaranteed!!!

City Dad
11-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Not gonna mince words - our in-shore fisheries are over-fished. Don’t believe me? Ask any local old enough to remember the 60s.

So, the reality is; either you are part of the problem or part of the solution.

I’m not a catch-and-release zealot. Do what you want (only Bigfoot can judge you.)

If what you want to do is conserve by selective harvest, I have some information that may be of interest to you.

The gender of barred surf perch can be easily determined.

Here’s how:

Male barred surf perch have a pronounced notch in their anal fin. It is a reproductive adaptation.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/fnn/maleperch.jpg
Can you see it?

Female barred surf perch DO NOT have this notch.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/fnn/femaleperch.jpg

Dig it?

Now, I’m no scientist, but even I know this basic fact: A single male can mate with multiple females. Therefore, removing a male(s) only from a population, over time, will have less of an impact on over-all numbers than removing males and females or females only.

So, if you think it might be cool for your grandkids to know what a barred perch over 10” looks like, well, you just might wanna try throwin’ the mamas back once in a while.

I am not sorry if this offends you.

tracker16
11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks good information.

midgettosser1
11-05-2013, 01:31 PM
I always make sure to release pregnant female perch.... after I squeeze all the live young into my mouth.

Homefish
11-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks City Dad, Great info! Got any similar info & pics of other surf fish species?

City Dad
12-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks City Dad, Great info! Got any similar info & pics of other surf fish species?

If I ever manage to finally catch another surf species, I'll let you know!

keepemlo
01-21-2016, 07:38 PM
I didn't know you could eat them!!!!,I personally applaud your post as we all need to be aware of conservation,when you are out there with the skunk ,remember this post ,,,thanks

shorefishing818
03-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Thanks for sharing! Great to know

TUNAVIC
03-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Great info! Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic

david236
04-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your informative post. Great job.:Smile:

Jig-Guy
05-16-2019, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the post and pictures. I learned something today.

fishmounter
06-24-2020, 04:07 PM
It's something I've known about for many years. I thought most surf fishermen knew this.