PDA

View Full Version : Kern River 11-2 / 11-4

Joshua
11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Work and daughter's softball kept us away from the Kern through the summer. Decided we needed a weekend away. Couldnt leave until Saturday as my daughter has started a business with her mother and they have a meeting on Friday night.
We (13 yo daughter and 2 yo son) made it up to the Kern on Saturday morning. Setup camp at Headquarters campground. It is open but no Camp Host. I stayed there and had no one to pay. FREE! If you book online you have to pay but walk ups seem to stay for free?
I read a report from the Kern Flyfisherman website and their reports stated fishing was excellent on the upper Kern. I think everyone has a different definition of excellent. I regularly catch 15 fishing in a couple hours within a 1/2 mile sectiion. They had a 50 person Tourny going on the Upper Kern on Saturday. Fished for about 30 minutes in/around Headquarters campground around 3 PM. The water looked good and we fished a few spots that looked promising. My daughter said she had one bite, I had nothing. The water is low and looked great for someone in waders. I had my son in a backpack and I needed to stay close to my daughter so I couldnt wade.
Sunday:
After an unsuccesful day on Saturday, I had big plans to hammer the fish on Sunday. We finally got up and moving aroun 8am. Decided to run up to the Trail of 100 Giants. Those are some big trees. There was still a considerable amount of snow in the shaded areas. We were dressed for mild weather not COLD weather.
On our way back, we stopped at Limestone, which is our usual camping spot (closed for the season) Headed to the lower end of the Campground and fished an area I am comfortable with. Got a few more bites and landed a couple. Nothing special and still a slow bite compared to the summer.
Further down river I had one more spot that would provide easy access. Pulled in 4 within an hour. My daughter was shocked on how slow the bite was. I have spoiled her with our catch rates during the summer.
I am going to attribute the slow bite to my lack of time on the water during the fall season. I was using my normal fishing techniques but things may need to change for the winter.

Weather was awesome. Cool evening (High 30s) Days in the low 70's
Fishing conditions: Prime
Catching: Poor.

I usually camp much further up river but liked to convienence of having a store within a couple miles. Wouldnt camp this in the summer, the crowds are stupid busy in the summer. Despite the slow catching, it was a fantastic trip.
Saw some quail in camp but they wouldnt leave far enough to take a safe/legal shot. I think these birds know that the campground is a safe zone.

Beancounter
11-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Good to see you had a great trip with your family!
Too bad about the catching. I'm sure there will be a next time.
I'm heading up to the Loop myself this weekend.
Taking my sons..25 & 15...my how time flys!
Enjoy those moments when you get them!