PDA

View Full Version : Spring/Summer vs. Fall/Winter Fishing

ErikAllen17
11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Since I only started REALLY fishing a few months ago... I'm new as to what fish bite when and such. As we transition from season to season, can someone offer up an answer, or a conglomeration of answers and to what fish bite and which ones hide during each season?

SPRING
Biters =
Hiders =

SUMMER
Biters =
Hiders =

FALL
Biters =
Hiders =

WINTER
Biters =
Hiders =

skunked4life
11-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Eric,

i can only give you my limited understanding for your question posted:

SPRING
Biters = Halibut, Perch, YFC, WSB, pretty much all species but the halibut like to spawn in the early spring to early summer
Hiders = They all hide sometimes.

SUMMER
Biters = I have had alot of success in the past with YFC, perch and halibut (for 2013), wsb are constantly being caught by S.W.A.T. members, calicos
Hiders = They all hide sometimes.

FALL
Biters = Perch, perch, perch...and occassionally the other species listed above
Hiders = They all hide sometimes. Stripers and wsb seem scarce during the fall and winter.

WINTER
Biters = More perch, perch and more perch (they give live birth during late fall and winter), and I have personally had slight success with halibut.
Hiders = They all hide sometimes. Stripers and wsb seem scarce during the fall and winter.

I guess what I am saying is that when a species is known to be spawning (ie: perch in the winter, butts in the spring, etc.) they are more likely to be caught. When they are not spawning, they can still be caught but not as frequently.

I am sure that my senior S.W.A.T. members will ad more accurate and better insight.

Skunked4life

ErikAllen17
11-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the reply Ken... I'm more or less wondering what I should be expecting when heading out to fish during the upcoming months. I would hate to be constantly throwing the LC hoping to hookup on halibut during the winter, only to find out catching one during the winter is almost unheard of.

Also, was wondering why on almost every cast lately I (we've) been catching perch... turns out this is "more perch, perch, and more perch" season... info like that is truly helpful! Thanks again.

skunked4life
11-04-2013, 09:36 AM
My honest opinion is that you should always be throwing the LC. I do not work for them nor have any contractual agreements to endorse their product. I just love them. A more versatile and seasoned angler will likely disagree and advise you to adapt to the conditions. Me, I just do not care too much for drop shotting, crack, grubs, etc. That's just me.

Now, the beauty of winter fishing is that you are very likely to catch BSP's but by throwing the LC, you also have the more likely chance of catching a by-catch halibut or other species. So, why not? Most important thing is to stay safe, warm and have fun out there experimenting. Last winter was nothing but experimenting for me as it was only my second winter for surf fishing.

Keep at it and let us know how you do!

bman90278
11-09-2013, 09:35 AM
My honest opinion is that you should always be throwing the LC. I do not work for them nor have any contractual agreements to endorse their product.

Come on tell us the truth. I've heard when u become a Swat Member u have to always throw LC's. LOL

-b

DockRat
11-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Come on tell us the truth. I've heard when u become a Swat Member u have to always throw LC's. LOL

-b
LOL

Personally I get bored to death after 1 hour of lure tossing. Always go back to bait fishing or bust out plastics.
Scored a beautiful Chucklehead (on frozen squid) at Horseshoe Kelp last week in about 130' of water. Did several drifts on the inside near Pier 400 for a couple lizards. SP Bait only had 4" anchovies last monday. First time out on the boat in a couple months and haven't been surf fishing since spring.
DR