PDA

View Full Version : A quickie on the dam (11/3 pm)

dkinla
11-03-2013, 09:42 PM
so I finally made it out to Castaic dam to see all the action that was going on from the shore at around 2:30pm today... and woah! there must've been maybe 100 people scattered all along the dam, with the highest concentration of folks towards the far end... never seen it like that ever :EyePop:

I went solo today, and just wanted to see how good the bite has been... and obviously, judging by the crowds on the dam, pretty "dam" good I'm sure :LOL:

I walk about 3/4 the way down and manage to find a decent spot in between a couple guys... setup 2 rods... and relaxed. Saw a couple people to the right and left of me catch a couple nice sized stripers... saw some bigger models on stringers as I walked down to my spot.

No action for me until about 4:15pm or so, and I think a school of schoolies finally made their way through, as I caught 4 schoolie sized stripers in about 20 minutes, and then had to pack up to go. Was fun for that short burst, and felt good to just cast a couple lines out.

I saw some other guys casting those trout swimbaits closer to the ramp on the way back, but didn't see any action on them.

not too shabby for a Castaic quickie :Wink: Stopped by our small group church meeting on the way back and gave the stripers away...

fishinone
11-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Nice catch for a short trip from shore.

I wonder how many striper have been pulled off off the dam lately. There have been crowds during the week.

DarkShadow
11-04-2013, 12:46 PM
there must've been maybe 100 people scattered all along the dam, with the highest concentration of folks towards the far end... never seen it like that ever :EyePop:

Yeah, I was out there too...it looked like a 1/2 day boat on Huntington Flats when the sand bass bite is on.

And the Swimbait Krews™ were rolling deep and had their game faces on too!

koifish
11-04-2013, 01:52 PM
nice out there....hope you had fun day.

DarkShadow
11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Oh, a few other things I noticed on Saturday.

1. We were the 5th car in line. By the time we passed through the gate, maybe 15 minutes had elapsed since they opened the gate, yet from a distance, we can already see anglers already at the far edge of the dam. They must run a quick 40.

2. As we walked the dam away from the parking lot first thing in the morning, there were several anglers walking BACK to the parking lot, with limits of some niced sized stripers that looked stiffer than morning wood. These must be some pretty skilled anglers if they're catching their limit within 15 minutes of getting let into the lake.

3. A good half dozen anglers had walked past the "NO TRESPASSING" signs at the end of the dam and where fishing literally under the tower. I thought that area was off limits?

4. A few hours later, one guy in particular that we saw in the morning walking back to the parking lot was selling his stripers to people the other anglers on shore.

koifish
11-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh, a few other things I noticed on Saturday.

1. We were the 5th car in line. By the time we passed through the gate, maybe 15 minutes had elapsed since they opened the gate, yet from a distance, we can already see anglers already at the far edge of the dam. They must run a quick 40.

2. As we walked the dam away from the parking lot first thing in the morning, there were several anglers walking BACK to the parking lot, with limits of some niced sized stripers that looked stiffer than morning wood. These must be some pretty skilled anglers if they're catching their limit within 15 minutes of getting let into the lake.

3. A good half dozen anglers had walked past the "NO TRESPASSING" signs at the end of the dam and where fishing literally under the tower. I thought that area was off limits?

4. A few hours later, one guy in particular that we saw in the morning walking back to the parking lot was selling his stripers to people the other anglers on shore.

1. they ride a bike
2. yes they have fresh sardine. can limit in 1 hour or less
3. yes...police gave out tickets yesterday.
4. yes I saw some.

dkinla
11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
nice out there....hope you had fun day.

Yeah had a good time. Too bad I could only stay for a couple hours.

Also, I think your inbox is full... Tried to PM a thank you, and said your mailbox was full.

DarkShadow
11-04-2013, 04:00 PM
1. they ride a bike
2. yes they have fresh sardine. can limit in 1 hour or less

While I understand that, most fisherman know what a fresh fish looks like on a stringer when it was caught within 15 minutes, (because the lake had just opened up 15 minutes before) and what a dead striper looks like after it has been caught 5 hours before.

And while I understand that it's easy to limit out in an hour, unfortunately it wasn't an hour. It was 15 minutes after the gate had been opened.

But to each his own. I just found it a bit peculiar how things didn't add up.

DMS
11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I was 2nd in line Saturday and saw at least 12 people hiking into the lake prior to opening. Some were very early... 2 hours before opening...

lowe
11-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Nice catch hope to see out there this saturday ..lo