PDA

View Full Version : Fooling with bait stealers

Stumpknocker
11-01-2013, 04:31 PM
The line was unreal for a Friday...they stocked trout yesterday...lots of planters swimming around the ramp. After looking around the lake and unsuccessfully trying to find a striper that still wants to hit topwater in November, I anchored up in about 95 feet of water with the fleet outside of necktie. I saw good marks throughout the water column...started off with one carolina rig on/near the bottom and one flyline with about 30 feet of line out, both with frozen sardine chunks...the bottom rig didn't get much attention...a couple of bumps...but the flyline started getting bit. Problem was, they would bump it once and leave, and half the time, even a tiny bump resulted in an empty hook...clever guys. Patiently letting them chew on it until they pull it down simply didn't work. After an hour or so of feeding them, I figured out that if I let it fall and watched the line for any change, and then set on it like I was bass fishing with a plastic worm (except with 4 lb. line), it resulted in hookups...limited out by 1:00 p.m. and let a few go as well...every one was a 1-1/4 lib. schoolie, but they're a bunch of fun on 4 lb. with a cheap reel with a loose drag that screams like a kazoo...no pix, (haven't figured out how to downsize them yet), but everybody knows what schoolies look like. Go get 'em.

fishinone
11-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the report.

Nice catch!

Stumpknocker
11-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks fishinone...no trophies, but great eating and good fun once I figured out the presentation they wanted.

fishinone
11-05-2013, 06:59 AM
You write good reports. If you add pictures, people will read them.

To put pictures in, put them in a photobucket account then copy the img code and paste it in your report.

Stumpknocker
11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks fishinone...next report will have pictures!

fishinone
11-14-2013, 04:21 PM
My pleasure!

I like looking at the pictures better than reading. LOL

Stumpknocker
11-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Here's the livewell shot of the schoolies from that day...thanks again fishinone!
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/livewell.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/livewell.jpg.html)