PDA

View Full Version : Best way to mount seats on an aluminum boat with bench seats.

Darius
10-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey all I was wondering those of you with plain jane aluminum boats. How did you all mount your seat on your boat? I tried using the adjustable/ removable bracket that attaches to the bench seat. I like it but want something that does not squeeze against my plywood bench seats. I was thinking to buy a piece of plywood and screwing it on the existing bench then buying a separate bracket, attach it with a seat. This way I would have a less likely hood of stripping bolts?

one long cast
10-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Here is what I did with my Valco aluminum boat. Bought some large cutting boards at Wally mart and secured them to the bench seat. Then got some folding bass seats with pins and a mount from BPS. Mounted the bottom part of the seat to the cutting boards then bored a 1 inch hole through all the layers. I then placed the seat pin over the hole and walla a seat that is safe and sturdy and can be removed if needed. And used stainless steel screws to attach.

Darius
10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Pretty much you made an extra layer of wood on the bench seat to prevent stripping of the screws?

one long cast
11-02-2013, 01:41 PM
And the cutting boards wont rot, mildew or splinter, last the life of the boat. Its what I call a 1 and done.

flybynight
11-02-2013, 05:27 PM
How does it feel when u Mount Seats ?

Karyn
11-02-2013, 06:48 PM
IKEA has cutting boards; they're cheep too.

DockRat
11-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Use bolts, nuts, and washers. Screw stripping out problem solved.
DR

one long cast
11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
I only mount the seats when I'm alone.