PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 Fishing around Long Beach

jplee3
10-31-2013, 12:59 PM
So I had an all-day conference yesterday at the Hyatt and decided to bail early after the last session despite having two free drink tickets. Yeah, in my world fishing > drinks LOL! Sometimes they're equal but only if I've already caught :D

I had it in my plans to hit up the nearby beach so I did. Was throwing primarily LCs but no love. A swimmer, who had just finished his session, came over to me and told me that he thought he saw a pretty big corbina close to shore while he was out there. He also said he thought he stepped on a hali the day before in the same area. Anyway, I ended up pretty much just practicing casting despite the info. Actually, as I was casting to the right of me and reeling in, I spooked a halibut and saw it speed off. It was a short probably around 15" or so. Probably spooked it cause I got some kelp on the hook and it was swimming funny. Water was mostly clean, but maybe every 4th-5th cast I'd bring in some salad. I also saw pelicans crashing the water a probably a few hundred yards out, saw a small skiff head out to fish the area too. No love even after throwing in that direction.

I switched over to gulp sandworms on a c-rig and got a few bites but they were short (one pulled the worm off the hook). Probably small perch or croaker. I made one final cast with the LC before calling it quits, and ended up barely wing-hooking a baby bat ray, so I caught something, but of the wrong kind and by slim luck of course. I guess I can say I didn't skunk LOL

Sorry no pics, I really need to get a good "beach" camera. My phone sucks and my Contour cam is pretty useless if I just want a still-pic (although I guess I could just grab a frame from video).

Wingnut
10-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Pretty cool to spook Halibut... a least you have visual confirmation that they're there. :Wink:
The biggest Halibut I spooked was about 30 inches, almost stepped on it before it shook off the sand blanket and took off... :Shocked:
Really put the heart rate into overdrive... :LOL:
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

jplee3
11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Pretty cool to spook Halibut... a least you have visual confirmation that they're there. :Wink:
The biggest Halibut I spooked was about 30 inches, almost stepped on it before it shook off the sand blanket and took off... :Shocked:
Really put the heart rate into overdrive... :LOL:
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

Haha, I think that's the first time I've ever spooked a halibut, outside of trying to pet one at the Long Beach aquarium's outside tank LOL!

It's unbelievable how close to shore these guys sit on a calm day!

But yea the area looked pretty fishy... just seemed that the fish didn't want to play much :(

skunked4life
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Well good job taking advantage of the AO in the name of work! :LOL: You got said no to the drink temptation, and yes to the fish temptation and were rewarded with a skunk buster. Good job!

Skunked4life

SP Dan
11-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Fun read ..... great report! And you didn't get skunked! WTG!

SP Dan <"))><