PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch Kokes in the Twin Lakes?

billy b
10-31-2013, 06:53 AM
I've known they were there ... but never heard of anybody catching any

Also ... believe I heard the Brownies feast on them?

I happened to pick up a 6 inch dink the last time I as trolling the Lower T

Just curious ...
Are they good eatin?

Tom
10-31-2013, 07:08 AM

Just curious ...
Are they good eatin?

I have caught Quite a few of the Kokanee in upper twin and in Robinson creek as they come up the river to spawn
have no idea what they taste like as they were always released
The kokanee are not caught a lot by trout fishermen as they are much deeper and guys just don't target them
IN the spawn they look really cool being really bright red with the dark green head and the Hook jaws

HawgZWylde
10-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Used to catch them there once in awhile back in the late 60's-mid 70's. Not since then though...

Matt44
10-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Just curious ...
Are they good eatin?

They are great eating! Iv caught a few on lower biggest maybe 14 inches....but you are right the brownies gorge on them!

simijab
11-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Yep not bad eating caught them in the river behind mono village. Cool to see all those bright red fish in the water

flytyingreloader
11-06-2013, 07:31 AM
No kokanee salmon for me from the Twin Lakes. I remember catching Kokes with my Dad at Lake Arrowhead as a kid, and that they tasted really good--superior in all respects to trout from the same water. The Super Duper spinning lure was developed by a Fire Department Captain at the Lake Arrowhead fire station especially for catching the kokanee salmon in that lake. and one trick used by anglers to catch them more reliably involved use of rubber bands between line and leader to prevent hooks from tearing out from their relatively delicate mouths that were a trait brought on by full-time freshwater life. I remember also that in the late 1960s the Field & Stream annual fishing contest (weight-based, no line-classes) was won every year by one or two guys fishing Lake Arrowhead. Same guys each year.

Tom
11-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Every Kokanee i have caught and tried to eat when they are in the river is Horrible..Spawning kokanee have very soft meat during the spawn and the lactic acid build up ruins the taste.
now the ones i have caught in the lake before spawn and in the spring have been very good..but once they turn red with a green head they are horrible
Just my opinion

Yep not bad eating caught them in the river behind mono village. Cool to see all those bright red fish in the water

Calicanuck
11-13-2013, 10:21 AM
I was at Upper Twin Lake this last August and we caught a few kokanee, but they were all very small. We were catching them around 60 feet down with lake trolls and small lures. They are pretty aggressive for kokanee taking larger lures than I thought they would. Probably starving. They seem to be stunted from what I read and don't get very large. The ones we caught were about 6-9 inches long. Check it out I made a short video of some of the action. It was very windy that day and hard to fish in the kayak with all the gear on board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpzO70mP0jI