PDA

View Full Version : Feather River and Plumas County

CoffeaRobusta
09-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Was up in plumas county a couple of weeks ago. Fished the middle fork feather river and managed a couple of small bows and a palm-sized green sunfish in a beaver pond on the river. Saw the beaver too. he was pissed i was there - slappin his tail in the water. The sunfish was only twice the size of my lure. That was cool as that was the first time I caught a sunfish on a lure. Tried some of the lakes in the Lakes basin as well but got skunked. My buddies on fly rods did better managing some 13 inchers. Could see lots of trout rising but I only had a spinning rod. I'm heading up there again next week and this time i am bringing a cast-a-bubble and some dry flies. Never tried that before but maybe I can get in on that top water action too. Anyone have any tips on using a fly and bubble with a spinning rod?

Fisher-of-Men
09-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Was up in plumas county a couple of weeks ago. Fished the middle fork feather river and managed a couple of small bows and a palm-sized green sunfish in a beaver pond on the river. Saw the beaver too. he was pissed i was there - slappin his tail in the water. The sunfish was only twice the size of my lure. That was cool as that was the first time I caught a sunfish on a lure. Tried some of the lakes in the Lakes basin as well but got skunked. My buddies on fly rods did better managing some 13 inchers. Could see lots of trout rising but I only had a spinning rod. I'm heading up there again next week and this time i am bringing a cast-a-bubble and some dry flies. Never tried that before but maybe I can get in on that top water action too. Anyone have any tips on using a fly and bubble with a spinning rod?

Don't forget the camera! :D

Looking forward to your report.

Fisher-of-Men

Troutman65
09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Nice report .

Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

Piranha
09-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Tie on about 6' of leader(2-4 lb.test) after the bubble! Fill the bubble about 1/2 full of water so you can cast it! When it's flying thru the air, stop it in midair with your finger and the fly wil straighten out at the end of the bubble. Try retrieving at different speeds till you find the right one! try a California Royal Coachman! Good Luck! Piranha :D :wink:

sansou
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Coffee,

Lots of different ways to do the fly&bubble trick. Fly selection obviously is crucial, and then you want to consider dry or sinking. Some days they slurp the top, other days they feed below surface. I fish the fly & bubble during the mid-day when I see trout surfacing, yet my spinners are failing.

In my experience, generally speaking with no particular lake in mind, a couple black ants or little beaded patterns in the 18 size do the trick. Key to this is slow, near standtill retrieval, with pauses. Tie the 1st fly maybe 6-8 inches up using a tag. Try different combos of flies too.

Good luck.