PDA

View Full Version : Creek Company voyager frameless pontoon vs Classic Accessories Cumberland Float Tube

Slims
10-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Whats up guys? Im going to buy my first float tube in 13 years. In those 13 years, Ive put on a few....so my search for tubes and pontoons that will carry my weight and the gear has narrowed my choices down to two:

The creek company frameless pontoon

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Creek-Company-Voyager-Frameless-Pontoon/1315080.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3DCreek%2BCompany%2Bvoyager%2Bframeless%2 6x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Creek+Company+voyager+frameless&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

And the Classic Accessories Cumberland

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Accessories8482-Cumberland-Float-Tube/743402.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3DClassic%2BAccessories%2BCumberland%2BFl oat%2BTube%26x%3D24%26y%3D9%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BS earch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Classic+Accessories+Cumberland+Float+Tube&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Has anybody here had any experience with either one? I need to get used to one again before I hit the alpine lakes of the sierras next year. Also, when you guys hike in to the back country lakes do you use the backpack straps and hike in with it inflated or do you keep it deflated and use a hand pump at the lake? If I was to buy the frameless pontoon there is no way I could hike it in inflated, and the only gripe people seem to have with the cumberland is how useless the backpack straps are...

Anyway, if any of you guys have any experience with either, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

AngryAgent
10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm just curious what you weigh and not to be funny. I have a hard time thinking that the Super Fat Cat wouldn't work for you. That or the Prowler. How much gear are you bringing?

As far as backpacking them in I always have mine inflated but I bring a little pump along with me just in case. The straps for either of those tubes I listed also work great.

Slims
10-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Im weighing in at about 285. Im sure the fatcat would work too, but the Cumberland got better reviews. Thats the only reason i was looking at the Cumberland instead. A lot of reviewers were talking about how uncomfortable the seats on the fatcat are.

TED MILLS
11-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Ok I weight 225 lbs , and I have a very nice Gaddis Navigator for my weight and I ride good in it

Check it out
ted

shiromaguro88
11-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I did some research before buying my float tube. From what I read it seemed like the fishcat 4 and the ODC420 was the top choice followed by the cumberland. Since I weigh 225lb I got myself a ODC420. I am very happy with the comfort of the seat. I even got it on ebay auction for $160. There is a seller on ebay putting one or two every week for auction. If you want something for hiking they sell the ODC420 lightweight combo(includes fins and pump).

shiromaguro88
11-03-2013, 02:50 PM
ODC 420 lightweight is only 14 pounds. There is a 420 lightweight combo(fins and pump) on sale for $169.95 at Jaxmercantile.com.

jpfromoc
11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm 225lbs and my FishCat4 works great!!!

Tom
11-03-2013, 07:30 PM
with either tube you need a Air inflated seat or your Butt and back will warn you

shiromaguro88
11-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Where do you get an air inflated seat? I have a ODC420

.:LOLLY:.
11-04-2013, 02:00 PM
The straps on the Cumberland have been relocated on the Cumberland from the top side to the bottom side of the tube

Slims
11-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that last post sold me on the cumberland.

AngryAgent
11-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Im weighing in at about 285. Im sure the fatcat would work too, but the Cumberland got better reviews. Thats the only reason i was looking at the Cumberland instead. A lot of reviewers were talking about how uncomfortable the seats on the fatcat are.

I had the cumberland too, it's not even comparable. THe Super Fat Cat is constructed much better and will last forever comparatively. My Cumberland went to **** in less then a year. I float tube a ton, the harbors to the SIerra's and I hike with it for up to 6 miles. I wouldn't buy anything else ever again. Seats on the SFC are inflatable so I don't know where people get that it's uncomfortable?

Also the summit valves on the SFC blow away the Boston valves on the cumberland. The materials and construction just make it a better tube IMO..

Tube Killer
11-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Slims
Just came across this thread. I'll agree with some of the things Angry Agent said above. I owned the Cumberland as well just sold it to a friend for his son. I loved that tube I took it everywhere Sierras on hikes, all the local lakes it is one of my favorite tubes. If its about the money get it because it is almost half the price of a super fat cat. I tube 1-2 times a week all year long the zippers on my bags broke on each side after only 1 year. If you are not a weekly Tuber this should not be much of a problem for you. I only weigh about 155 damn thing was like a Cadillac on the water. The Cumberland is a little bigger than the Super Fat Cat.
In march I got a Super Fat Cat as a gift so of course I took it and have grown to love it, the air seats are great and very comfortable, the pocket bags are awesome.
The whole Tube is constructed well and I am hoping I won't burn through it in a year. So far I'm very happy with it again if you Tube weekly its a no brainer.
Hope this was helpful.

Tube Killer