PDA

View Full Version : 20+ Brownie at Grant-Rush

billy b
10-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Was fishing the upper area of Grant Thursday and heard that a 20lber (+ 3 other nice fish?) had been pulled out that morning ... also heard about it at Ernie's Tackle shop ...

Did any news ever get down SoCal way?

dbfishing
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
there is an article with picture in western outdoor news

IncredibleHuck
10-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Big fish for sure, but just like the one he caught last year it looks no where near the size of what is being claimed.

Matt44
10-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Right huck that's what I'm saying dan stewarts 17 looked way bigger from lower twin...ill be up the 7 to the 15th lookin for some big boys just got a rigger on the boat I plan on puttin to good use! If any fellow fnners are up shoot me a message always up for brown hunting with good people!

IncredibleHuck
10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Right huck that's what I'm saying dan stewarts 17 looked way bigger from lower twin...ill be up the 7 to the 15th lookin for some big boys just got a rigger on the boat I plan on puttin to good use! If any fellow fnners are up shoot me a message always up for brown hunting with good people!

I'll be up there that weekend. 9th and 10th.

Matt44
10-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Nice if your up towards the twins shoot me a pm or look for me on the water ill be in a blue bass tracker vhull

billy b
10-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I'll be returning for a rematch on the afternoon of Wed and Thursday the 13-14th ... you're goin out on a boat... which lakes? Not being rude and buttin in ... just thought I'd watch for you

Good Luck

FSHNLIC
10-29-2013, 03:12 PM

That's a nice long trip Matt. Good Luck on a DD!!

Matt44
10-29-2013, 04:27 PM
That's a nice long trip Matt. Good Luck on a DD!!

Thanks josh I'm gonna fish it hard I'm really hoping this is the year I need a nee pb! If your up join me brotha!!!

cjschock
10-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't know if I buy 20 lbs. and it does kinda look like last years fish. That may just be the jealousy speaking but I still not sure. I have hit that area on four different falls and have a friend who fishes that area every year in the fall. None of us have ever pulled anything close to that out of rush. So that guy must be one lucky angler. I have pulled out 7 browns on 7 casts on one trip but two pounds might have been tops. oh well. Have fun Matt and catch a big one. Cant wait to get back to PVR this winter. Also debating going to pyramid in NV anyone have any 411 on winter fishing at pyramid?

AngryAgent
10-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm rolling up there on the 9th thru the 15th. Be fishing nothing but the Bridgeport area.

Matt44
10-29-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm rolling up there on the 9th thru the 15th. Be fishing nothing but the Bridgeport area.

See ya on the water angry agent I just stockpiled a bunch of custom painted floaters and husky jerks hoping to have some teeth marks in them by the 15th!

AngryAgent
10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
See ya on the water angry agent I just stockpiled a bunch of custom painted floaters and husky jerks hoping to have some teeth marks in them by the 15th!

Look for 3 of us in tubes. We'll be all over..

Good luck 2 ya

billy b
10-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Got the message

Matt44
10-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I'll be returning for a rematch on the afternoon of Wed and Thursday the 13-14th ... you're goin out on a boat... which lakes? Not being rude and buttin in ... just thought I'd watch for you

Good Luck

Billy b ill be on lower twin for most of my trip probably hit upper and the rez as well!

Big Country
10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Hey Matt,

Heading up early morning 5th/6th straight to b-port for a day and a 1/2 and then down to the loop on 7th afternoon staying through Sunday. Gotta try my spots looking for that repeat brownie I texted you a couple yrs back :)

We might do 1/2 day boat on lower twin in the am on the 7th if they still renting out...otherwise we are just going to fish under the bridge between the 2 twins (can't wait to see how many people believe that last sentence).

Anyways, blue silverado...I'll look for you on the water.

corkoner
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey Matt,

Heading up early morning 5th/6th straight to b-port for a day and a 1/2 and then down to the loop on 7th afternoon staying through Sunday. Gotta try my spots looking for that repeat brownie I texted you a couple yrs back :)

We might do 1/2 day boat on lower twin in the am on the 7th if they still renting out...otherwise we are just going to fish under the bridge between the 2 twins (can't wait to see how many people believe that last sentence).

Anyways, blue silverado...I'll look for you on the water.

Hey BC

hopefully see you up there. staying in mammoth the 7th - 11th.. prob gonna try the loop friday or sat. good luck up there..

dark grey titan, cory.

Big Country
10-30-2013, 04:42 PM
For sure Cory...like I said dark blue silverado or my buddies have aqua blue old silverado & black jeep. See any of those roadside, stop by and give a shout - we'll share notes.

@ Matt - What's your custom paint jobs look like? I call mine "Murder Inc" - it's simple, yet special :)

Matt44
10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
For sure Cory...like I said dark blue silverado or my buddies have aqua blue old silverado & black jeep. See any of those roadside, stop by and give a shout - we'll share notes.

@ Matt - What's your custom paint jobs look like? I call mine "Murder Inc" - it's simple, yet special :)

I got a bunch of diff patterns to try mostly all baitfish in those lakes like tui chub and red side minnows to match the koke spawn.

billy b
10-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Billy b ill be on lower twin for most of my trip probably hit upper and the rez as well!

Matt -

Good luck to ya ...

And the same to all ... hoping for decent weather as well as gud fizhun
Hope to hear some great stories ... even if they got away

About a week ago ... I stopped in at Ken's ... and they said the Rez was a little on the slow side

Troutketcher
10-31-2013, 03:00 PM
The fish is 10 pounds, tops...what a liar...but awesome fish no doubt and a real trophy for the june loop. The article states that he says he also caught 50 browns all over 2 pounds during the last week...I have a hard time believing that, but since it seems he exaggerates the weight of his fish to be double that of what they really are, him catching 50 browns all over 1 pound during the last week is something I would believe, especially during this time of year in that area.

http://www.wonews.com/t-EastenSierraReport_Cowan_102813.aspx

Sin Coast
10-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Dude that brownie is like 7-8lbs!
I'm literally LOLing @ the claim of 20lbs 8ozs!!!
Not to mention only douches target spawners during this time of year...(see the scumbag poachers above Edison for reference). Heck, he even says it in the article "“I wish people would let these fish go and the season would shut down on Oct. 31,” Gonzalez said. Browns move up stream in the late fall and are very easy to catch.""

muskyman
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
ya no way dude, 7-9 lbs maybe. I get 10-21 lb browns out by me on a regular basis. Its pretty easy too. The spring and fall bite is a no brainer. I like the spring bite better. We get fish in the high 20's and the occasional 30+ lbers too. You get your browns out here by fishing for smallies. Its sorta like a bonus

Matt44
11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Still can't believe western outdoors would post this up with no validity to the weight, Maybe they need to sell more papers. Was on the ac plug forum and news hit there allan has caught more big browns than a lot and he's calling 8 to 10 pounds although he did say it was a really pretty fish for its size its no where near 20 though. I guess that's why I didn't renew my subscription 2 years ago hahs

flytyingreloader
11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
It's a nice fish. Weight, schmeight. It is CERTAINLY larger than any trout of any species I've caught in the Sierras, and I've been beating those waters to a froth since age 12/1967.

billy b
11-04-2013, 04:06 PM
It's a nice fish. Weight, schmeight. It is CERTAINLY larger than any trout of any species I've caught in the Sierras, and I've been beating those waters to a froth since age 12/1967.

Will it make you feel better if I say I've been going at it since about 1950? Caught at the most a 2.5-3.0 brown

AngryAgent
11-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I wish at least there were measurements.

flytyingreloader
11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Will it make you feel better if I say I've been going at it since about 1950? Caught at the most a 2.5-3.0 brown

I feel right fine, in any event! I don't get focused on the Big Fish Fetish in the Sierras. My best on browns is about the same size you mention, a little bigger on 'bows. I've had SOMETHINGs break me off in both Grant and Upper Twin a few times at each lake that were BODACIOUS, but never got a look at what they might have been. They FELT like Los Angeles-class submarines, but that might be a subjective view.

sierraslam
11-05-2013, 02:19 PM
20 - 30 pound Browns out by you? Where would out by you be? The California State record is 26 pounds, you're breaking the state record, out by you!

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Musky man, take me fishing please. Where exactly is out by you? I'm not talking trash or anything I like fishing giant Browns. Are you by Lake Tahoe? Because I have heard a few stories……..

flytyingreloader
11-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Musky Man's location info says "Illinois", he may be fishing Lake Michigan or another of the Great Lakes. No trout of any type from any water out-classed the steelhead I caught from the Pere Marquette River in October '87 a couple miles upstream from the Lake. The lakers I caught in NWT in June 2010 got close--and there were more of them--but the Great Lakes can kick out some huge trout.

IncredibleHuck
11-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Musky man, take me fishing please. Where exactly is out by you? I'm not talking trash or anything I like fishing giant Browns. Are you by Lake Tahoe? Because I have heard a few stories……..

Musky Man's location info says "Illinois", he may be fishing Lake Michigan or another of the Great Lakes. No trout of any type from any water out-classed the steelhead I caught from the Pere Marquette River in October '87 a couple miles upstream from the Lake. The lakers I caught in NWT in June 2010 got close--and there were more of them--but the Great Lakes can kick out some huge trout.

Yep! Back east is the place to be for giant browns! look up videos of eric haataja. He get's some beasts back there!

DEVOREFLYER
11-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I would suggest that the South is often over looked for Trout records. Arkansas is one state that is killer for Brown Trout.

World Record Trout in Arkansas
When it comes to fish, Arkansas is most famous beyond its borders for the outstanding trout fisheries that have been developed over the last five decades by the AG&FC with help from two federal trout hatcheries. The popularity of Arkansas fishing has grown in recent years due in part to a number of world record trout catches. Most notable are the world record brown trout and state record rainbow trout catches that have occurred in Arkansas's lakes and streams.

Arkansas Trout Fishing
Prior to 1950, Arkansas trout fishing was basically limited to the state's only major cold-water stream, the Spring River. The Spring begins as the 58-degree, 9-million-gallons-an-hour flow of Mammoth Spring, which is located in Arkansas at the Missouri state line. Rainbow trout were first stocked on the Spring around the turn of the century.
With the completion of Norfork Dam on the North Fork of the White River in 1944 and Bull Shoals Dam on the White River in 1951, the groundwork was laid for major expansions of the state's trout fisheries.
Faced with the devastation of significant stretches of habitat for warm-water fish species, the AG&FC decided to introduce trout into the combined 97 miles of oxygen-rich, cold-water races below the dams. Cooperating with federal officials, they placed 39,216 rainbow trout into the streams in 1951.
Stocking efforts received a boost in 1957 when, as mitigation for the loss of warm-water habitat, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service opened the Norfork National Fish Hatchery near Norfork.

State Record Rainbow Trout
Rainbows from the hatchery grew phenomenally well in the White and North Fork and soon the two streams were among the country's finest destinations for trophy trout. Catches of 5-to-7-pound rainbows were common and the state record rainbow trout (19 pounds, 1 ounce) was caught in 1981 by Jim Miller of Memphis on the White River.
In the past two decades, increased fishing pressure on the White and North Fork has mostly limited catches of trophy rainbows to catch-and-release areas (though overall catch rates remain among the nation's highest).
That is true in part because natural reproduction of rainbows in Arkansas streams accounts for less than one percent of the state's annual rainbow population.

American-Record Brown Trout
Such is not the case, however, with brown trout. Browns were stocked early in the AG&FC stocking program but were discontinued in the 1960s and 1970s. While the White produced North American-record brown trout in 1972 (31.5 pounds) and again in 1977 (33.5 pounds), another development was being noted.
By the late 1970s, it was clear that, with only a jump start from AG&FC, the brown trout had succeeded in developing its own wild population. Brown trout too small to have been among those released earlier were showing up on stringers.

World Record Brown Trout
Arkansas tailwaters now contain a significant number of browns exceeding 30 pounds and fish in the five-to-10-pound range are common. The world record for a brown trout (40 pounds, 4 ounces) was set in May 1992 on the Little Red River, 29 miles of which had become suitable trout habitat with the completion of the Greers Ferry Dam in the early 1960s. This record stood until it was surpassed in 2009.

Trout Hatchery
As mitigation for the dam's impact on the Little Red, the Greers Ferry National Fish Hatchery opened in 1965. In 1985, the AG&FC came into possession of its own trout hatchery, a donation from the Kroger Co. of Cincinnati. The Spring River State Fish Hatchery enables the AG&FC to raise its own trout year-round and has increased opportunities for widening species diversity in Arkansas's trout waters.

Cutthroat Trout
In 1983, the AG&FC made an initial release of cutthroat trout on the White and North Fork and the new species adapted well. The current state record (9 pounds, 9 ounces) was caught on the White in October, 1985. Regular stockings of cutthroat were begun early this decade and today cutthroats in the 2-to-3-pound range are common.

Brook Trout
After a test stocking of brook trout in the 1980s, the AG&FC began stocking them in the Spring River and three tailwater sites in 1995. Studies show that brookies in the North Fork can reach 19 inches and three pounds in only two years, while in their native ranges they seldom exceed one pound.

Trout Rivers: Little Red River (Greers Ferry Tailwater), White River (Bull Shoals Tailwater), White River (Beaver Tailwater), Spring River, North Fork River (Norfork Tailwater), Ouachita and Little Missouri Rivers.

AngryAgent
11-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Great post Devoreflyer! I've had a couple of buddies fish the White River in Arkansas and they had great results. I've always wanted to fish in Montana but now I'm torn..

IncredibleHuck
11-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Great post Devoreflyer! I've had a couple of buddies fish the White River in Arkansas and they had great results. I've always wanted to fish in Montana but now I'm torn..

Milwaukee Harbor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKga1kRf3A

muskyman
11-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Yup I am located in chicago, 1/2 hr from lake michigan. And ya Eric Haataja is the man. That dude is one really good stick. Lake Michigan has spoiled me. You take So Calif techniques and tweek your tackle and you will be amazed how easy it is to catch fish on the big lake. The only thing that can suck is the wind. Lake Michigan can also become your grave site if your not too careful. With that being said, I have had many a trips cancelled due to a slight change in the wind. Otherwise if any of you ever have the chance, hire Eric..... it will be well worth the trip. Or just head out my way in the spring.
To put things in perspective, my first day on lake michigan back in 2006 when I moved back here, I landed several browns in the 7-10lb class within 10 minutes of trolling out out of the harbor.

DEVOREFLYER
11-06-2013, 06:00 PM

My Grandson is attending the University of Arkansas (third year) and I plan on a trip to visit him again and find a little time to fish on the side. Lake Norfork is a killer for Trout, Striper and a host of other fish, 500+ miles of shoreline to fish.

Piss on Myspace
11-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Yup I am located in chicago, 1/2 hr from lake michigan. And ya Eric Haataja is the man. That dude is one really good stick. Lake Michigan has spoiled me. You take So Calif techniques and tweek your tackle and you will be amazed how easy it is to catch fish on the big lake. The only thing that can suck is the wind. Lake Michigan can also become your grave site if your not too careful. With that being said, I have had many a trips cancelled due to a slight change in the wind. Otherwise if any of you ever have the chance, hire Eric..... it will be well worth the trip. Or just head out my way in the spring.
To put things in perspective, my first day on lake michigan back in 2006 when I moved back here, I landed several browns in the 7-10lb class within 10 minutes of trolling out out of the harbor.

hahahahaha, small world... Im actually out here in Milwaukee now and have known of Eric for a few years now. Ive seen his videos and a tv show with Mr. Haataja slaying colosal brown trout. Unfortunately he is unavailable for a charter on Wednesday, however he did refer me to his buddy and fellow captain Joe Schmidt. Long story short, heading out Wednesday with Joe in search of the giants. HOPEFULLY i'll get that 10+ i've been searching for, with maybe a "REEL" 20+ thrown in the mix.

...and yes, Arkasnas is a great brown fishery. Fished the white river a few years back and got a few 6+. Report was posted in the out of state section. Great post DFLYER

NEVER call the "W" by its first name... Its a fishermans kryptonite.