PDA

View Full Version : Trolled for Four Hours for Nothing! Great Bait Bite Though!

fishinone
10-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Capt'n and I met in line 5:00am on Saturday. We talked with DMS and BassFan in line. i enjoyed catching up with you guys. I actually go earlier anymore just for the chance to talk with good friends.

I wanted to get shad and use them on the striper. There were only a few scattered shad at the ramp, so there went that plan.

We set out the rigs as we left the ramp. No sooner had Capt'n put his rod down and he was hooked up.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_073225_zpsbd5d9e6a.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_073225_zpsbd5d9e6a.jpg.html)

He hooked this UGB, contaminating the rigs and making them unpalatable to respectable fish!

After that we trolled for four hours and didn't get a single hit. We trolled through school after school without any indication of it except on the fish finder.

Around 11:00 we went down and started looking for a bait spot. We set up on a hump inside of a cove with lots of fish around on the hump and on adjacent slopes. As soon as
Capt'n's pole was set before he could pick up another one he had a bite. The bait pulled from the fish's mouth on the hook set and he put it right back where it had been. We figured it was on! We waited but the fish didn't come back. We still had high hopes for this spot but didn't have any bites for a long time. Capt'n finally had another bite as we repositioned the boat using the anchor lines. Trouble was, we were busy and he didn't get to it before the fish spit.

We called it, pulled anchor and went out to the fleet anchored outside of Slalom Cove. We talked to the guys there, they were doing pretty good. I checked my fish finder but didn't see the fish soup that I like fishing in. I told Capt'n " Let's take the tour and look around, if we don't find something better, we'll come back here.".

When we checked the BL there was nobody around but we found some good marks and anchored up.

Within 5 minutes I had a bite and as soon as I hooked that one my other pole tip went down. I knew that I had a decent fish on and the other one looked decent too, so I asked Capt'n to grab it. We were working those fish when one of his poles got slammed but it wasn't long before the fish busted his 3 lb. leader. After I landed my fish, while I was throwing the fish in the fish hold Capt'n's other pole tip went down in the water. Since he was still working the fish on my pole, I took the chance to make up my deficit!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_123235_zpse0844207.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_123235_zpse0844207.jpg.html)

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_123149_zps882c68e3.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_123149_zps882c68e3.jpg.html)

So that's 2 doubles with one of the fish involved in both doubles!

We hadn't been anchored there 10 minutes and we had 3 nice fish in the boat!

This is when the debate started. Those two fish that we got on each others poles were nearly identical and one of them was the big fish so far. So we debated. Each of us claimed that the big fish honors belonged to "me" and it didn't matter which pole it had come in on.

We hurried to get our baits back out and as soon as I had 2 baits set on bottom one of my rods was hit. I picked it up and before I could set it the other rod was hit. I set the hook on the one in my hands then grabbed the pole out of the rod holder with one hand, set the hook and threw it back in the the holder. I was stoked! I was keeping tension on the one in my hands and grabbing the reel handle on the other, reeling to keep tension on it too. Imagine my surprise when I found out that I had one fish hooked with both of my poles. It sure made for a quick fight. With 2 poles hauling the fish up from bottom the fight was over quickly.

After that I guess lunch was over. We had a slow pick of smaller fish all afternoon.

We farmed many, about the time we would quit paying attention something would happen. At one point Capt'n had a good hit on his bait-runner but he was trapped at the other end of the boat by me and my rod handles sticking inside the boat. As soon as he got there the fish was gone. Later there was another hit in a similar circumstance. I decided to help out, stepped down there, tripped the second drag and set the hook. Of course, I farmed it!:Shocked:

Then there were the ones that we didn't farm. At one point I got hit and set the hook on a fish that didn't impress me. (I'm sure that I hooked it.) Then I saw my other pole get hit. I threw the rod that I was holding in the holder with the fish still attached and grabbed the other one. I asked Capt'n to reel the first one up. He grabbed it but it was slack, soon he felt a tug and swung away. Well his fish was the bigger of the two, so we debated! ("I've got 10 fish." "No you don't, I caught that fish!.") Neither one of us would concede. We had a great time, just having a great time! :Big Grin:

At about 4:00pm both the smaller fish and our preferred models decided that it was dinner time. By this time some fishermen had showed up and we put on a nice show. It wasn't quite, a fire drill but it was steady action. We had at least one more double. We were releasing the 1 - 1 1/2 lb. models and keeping the bigger ones.

My last fish settled the debate about big fish. I set the hook and said "OH!":Shocked:. I knew right away that it was heavier. I landed one approaching 6 lb.

We released 8 or 9 and kept 17 for the day.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_171911_zps7ce87d03.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Bait%20Bite%2010-26-2013/20131026_171911_zps7ce87d03.jpg.html)

The final count was something like,

Capt'n 12 and two halves.
fishinone 16 and two halves.

For a total of about 26 actual fish.

Thanks for fishing with me Capt'n, you're good company! Oh, thanks for the great sandwiches too!

TroutOnly
10-27-2013, 10:43 AM
great report ron ,if one thing isnt working its on to the next ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T//O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

CAPT'N
10-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Ron,

First and formost----THANK YOU! I had a great time fishing with you! As many have previously said, Ron is a good fisherman, and the consummate host. He truly derives pleasure in getting his guests on fish!

The un eventful mourning certainly gave us cause for pause, but the afternoon made up for it. We were like the 2/3 of the three stooges going in circles after each others pole as a nice grade of fish kept our rod tips in the water.

However, just to put this he caught I caught to rest.........They Are My Fish ! :ROFL::ROFL:

We certainly had a nice grade of fish, and later in the day we had spectators screaming as our rods were being worked over by the fish. At one point I think we farmed 4 fish in a row, two each as you couldn't get from one rod to another fast enough . Next time I am bringing a set of overalls and a Corn Cobb pipe!

Thanks again Ron, and next time, My Boat, My Fish lol

Capt'n

fishinone
10-27-2013, 11:06 AM
great report ron ,if one thing isnt working its on to the next ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T//O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks T/O.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Ron,

First and formost----THANK YOU! I had a great time fishing with you! As many have previously said, Ron is a good fisherman, and the consummate host. He truly derives pleasure in getting his guests on fish!

The un eventful mourning certainly gave us cause for pause, but the afternoon made up for it. We were like the 2/3 of the three stooges going in circles after each others pole as a nice grade of fish kept our rod tips in the water.

However, just to put this he caught I caught to rest.........They Are My Fish ! :ROFL::ROFL:

We certainly had a nice grade of fish, and later in the day we had spectators screaming as our rods were being worked over by the fish. At one point I think we farmed 4 fish in a row, two each as you couldn't get from one rod to another fast enough . Next time I am bringing a set of overalls and a Corn Cobb pipe!

Thanks again Ron, and next time, My Boat, My Fish lol

Capt'n

Hey Capt'n! I'm the Captain! They're all my fish!:Cool:

Fishin4runner
10-27-2013, 11:14 AM
nice job on finding the fish. I agree the troll bite has been tough. i went out twice this week monday and wednesday and only managed a few fish on the troll. Mind you they were nicer units but no numbers. Maybe with the new moon the troll bite will switch back on.

fishinone
10-27-2013, 11:20 AM
nice job on finding the fish. I agree the troll bite has been tough. i went out twice this week monday and wednesday and only managed a few fish on the troll. Mind you they were nicer units but no numbers. Maybe with the new moon the troll bite will switch back on.

I think you might be right about the New Moon. We should have a full on Fall bite taking place during the day.

cutbait
10-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Meat wagon...

ThTs what the boat looks like

catchingsomefish
10-27-2013, 11:51 AM
way to stick with it Ron! I was watching the webcam throughout the day at work, it looked really nice out there....I am glad you guys got the positive results!....Dave

Hardcor
10-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Nice Grade of fish Ron !

Did the Capt'n find out what happens when the silverback goes off !

MikesOcean
10-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Good chit Capt'n and Ron!

Way to improvise on a slow troll bite.

It's been way too long for me at Castaic.

Can't wait to get back out. If the mechanic would hurry up and get my part I would be back out by now.

At least it's great to get updates on what's going on out there.

Great job again on some nice fish!!

TroutOnly
10-27-2013, 12:16 PM
THE TROLLING IS STILL GOOD ,BUT ITS ABOUT RIGHT DEPTH ,RIGHT COLOR LURE ,AND CORRECT AREAS,OR ITS A STRUGGLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

CAPT'N
10-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey Corey,

Ron tried, but I gave him a sandwich .............lol

Capt'n

fishinone
10-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice Grade of fish Ron !

Did the Capt'n find out what happens when the silverback goes off !

Hey Corey,

Ron tried, but I gave him a sandwich .............lol

Capt'n

Have I done something to upset you guys?

koifish
10-27-2013, 02:13 PM
very nice fish there Ron. the bait bite is picked up very good now...hopefully it will stay long.

fishinone
10-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Meat wagon...

ThTs what the boat looks like

Thanks!

It's that "I met the Bako Boys." sticker on the back of the boat. It helps set the tone.

way to stick with it Ron! I was watching the webcam throughout the day at work, it looked really nice out there....I am glad you guys got the positive results!....Dave

Did you see us on the WebCam? We went by at about 11:00.

Good chit Capt'n and Ron!

Way to improvise on a slow troll bite.

It's been way too long for me at Castaic.

Can't wait to get back out. If the mechanic would hurry up and get my part I would be back out by now.

At least it's great to get updates on what's going on out there.

Great job again on some nice fish!!

I try to go with several plans ready. When I take one for granted, it generally goes against me.

I still think you can troll without the steering, you actually proved it.

THE TROLLING IS STILL GOOD ,BUT ITS ABOUT RIGHT DEPTH ,RIGHT COLOR LURE ,AND CORRECT AREAS,OR ITS A STRUGGLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What depth?

What color?

fishinone
10-27-2013, 02:20 PM
very nice fish there Ron. the bait bite is picked up very good now...hopefully it will stay long.

Thanks Koifish. I'm looking for your report now.

DMS
10-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Great job getting them... Great catching up. We only had three on the troll and nada on our bait attempt. It was still a very nice day and I will get them next time.

CAPT'N
10-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Nice chatting with you at dark thirty Dan......

Capt'n

catchingsomefish
10-27-2013, 08:07 PM
I didnt see you on the webcam Ron, I was wishing I was out there however.........................Dave

Bassfan
10-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Ron and Capt'n, It was good to get some social time to catch up before the open. Really made the wait go faster. You guys did an awsome job figuring out the day.
We did almost the same but only got 3 trolling most of the day.
Tried bait for about an hour and a half but not in a good spot. Instead of trying a new spot like you guys did, we went back to trolling and obviously didn't have the right depth or color. After seeing your report I wanted to go back so bad but had family obligations.
Damn, those stripers are under my skin!! Next time...

karlow
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Hey I was out there on Sat.
I trolled for two hours mostly near the dam.
I got one on the troll but it came unbutton near the boat!
All of this was near the dam, I trolled a few other areas for nada.
There were some boats posted up in the mouth near the dam.
I joined them. Hooked up one right fast and broke it off.
Then I got a big birds nest on my other rod. Things were looking grim.
By the time I fixed the reel the wind had switched directions, crap I had to re-anchor.
I setup a bit closer toward the dam in about 90 ft of water.
A bit later things started to work out my way. I farmed as many as I landed.
It was a good bite. My fish were up to 5 lbs (on the scale). Most were over three.
I returned a couple of dinks as well. These skinny Castic stripers pull hard!
That 5 pounder took me down to the backing! I had not seen that stuff in a long time!
It was running all over the place. I was the hot stick for a min. There were a couple of Vietnamese guys in a rental.
They were setting a bit closer to the dam and closer to the center of the channel. They out fished everyone there!
I saw them land one that looked to be 10Lbs! Sweet, vintage sardines and 10Lb leaders boyz are getting her done buy 2Pm.

See ya KP.

CAPT'N
10-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Hey Bassfan,

Enjoyed the mourning comradere almost as much as fishing, well the trolling anyway......

fishinone
10-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey Bassfan,

Enjoyed the mourning comradere almost as much as fishing, well the trolling anyway......

LOL!

Yes the chat was definitely better than the trolling!

fishinone
10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Great job getting them... Great catching up. We only had three on the troll and nada on our bait attempt. It was still a very nice day and I will get them next time.

Dan, I was telling Capt'n that I hoped you had been there before us and limited out but he pointed out that judging from the welcome we had received, we were likely the first ones there.

I didnt see you on the webcam Ron, I was wishing I was out there however.........................Dave

lol I was kidding, That would be kinda hard even to arrange. I've seen boils in it though.

Ron and Capt'n, It was good to get some social time to catch up before the open. Really made the wait go faster. You guys did an awsome job figuring out the day.
We did almost the same but only got 3 trolling most of the day.
Tried bait for about an hour and a half but not in a good spot. Instead of trying a new spot like you guys did, we went back to trolling and obviously didn't have the right depth or color. After seeing your report I wanted to go back so bad but had family obligations.
Damn, those stripers are under my skin!! Next time...

I've anchored on 7 spots out there before and found them on the 8th. I try not to anchor that many times though. My back can't take it.

fishinone
10-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Hey I was out there on Sat.
I trolled for two hours mostly near the dam.
I got one on the troll but it came unbutton near the boat!
All of this was near the dam, I trolled a few other areas for nada.
There were some boats posted up in the mouth near the dam.
I joined them. Hooked up one right fast and broke it off.
Then I got a big birds nest on my other rod. Things were looking grim.
By the time I fixed the reel the wind had switched directions, crap I had to re-anchor.
I setup a bit closer toward the dam in about 90 ft of water.
A bit later things started to work out my way. I farmed as many as I landed.
It was a good bite. My fish were up to 5 lbs (on the scale). Most were over three.
I returned a couple of dinks as well. These skinny Castic stripers pull hard!
That 5 pounder took me down to the backing! I had not seen that stuff in a long time!
It was running all over the place. I was the hot stick for a min. There were a couple of Vietnamese guys in a rental.
They were setting a bit closer to the dam and closer to the center of the channel. They out fished everyone there!
I saw them land one that looked to be 10Lbs! Sweet, vintage sardines and 10Lb leaders boyz are getting her done buy 2Pm.

See ya KP.

Hi karlow,

Was that you who stopped and talked to us in the morning?

It sounds like you had a good day. How many fish did you get?

karlow
10-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Yep
That was me. I did not find my kitty.
I have one more week to get one.
I ended up with a limit. I let a couple dinks go and grow.
I farmed a dozen of them amd broke off one.

Fish and chips for dinner!

KP

I bet this rain gets all the cats going!

fishinone
10-28-2013, 02:01 PM
I can show you a good kitty after the rain spot at Pyramid

karlow
10-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Is it in YellowBar?
That's the only place that I caught any Kitties.
They were just there one day.

fishinone
10-29-2013, 07:27 AM
That's a good spot!

karlow
10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
The problem is the striper fishing is good at Castic, and they are larger, and closer.
There is no way I will be able to drive past Castic to fish at Pyramid this weekend!
I need to find my kitties at Castic!

KP

EfrenM
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
The problem is the striper fishing is good at Castic, and they are larger, and closer.
There is no way I will be able to drive past Castic to fish at Pyramid this weekend!

KP

I found my catfish 15 feet from shore on nightcrawlers

fishinone
10-30-2013, 08:10 AM

KP

I know what you mean. I'll be concentrating on those Castaic striper while they're biting too.

karlow
10-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Sounds good but which shore line?
Were you in a boat?
Maybe I should looking in some skinny water mabe 15-20ft.

fishinone
10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds good but which shore line?
Were you in a boat?
Maybe I should looking in some skinny water mabe 15-20ft.

I'll bet on the shoreline with the wind driving waves up on it.

TroutOnly
10-30-2013, 05:00 PM
life guard boat cove at c-point anchor in 10ft of water next to any good drop offs with crawlers ,you will get some big ones ,some guys i ran into there a couple weks ago had cats at 10lbs to 16lbs,,but i dought karlow can get it done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Afish
10-31-2013, 12:04 AM
What's the best way to rig up for stripers and what bait?
Had some luck trolling last week but might anchor and bait Sunday.
Any suggestions?

fishinone
10-31-2013, 07:47 AM
What's the best way to rig up for stripers and what bait?
Had some luck trolling last week but might anchor and bait Sunday.
Any suggestions?

Where's your report?

The freshest Sardines that you can get are usually the best bait. Cut little fish steaks from the belly pieces. They should be about square looking from the side.

My favorite rig is a Carolina rig using the lightest egg sinker that will work at the time in that location. Flourocarbon leader is essential. Start with 6# about 2 ft long. I like Owner Mosquito Hooks size 2 to 2/0. I set the depth of the bait just above the fish on the fish finder.

Flylining is productive too.

karlow
10-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Close, Dump those tiny hooks, Use 3/0 (very thin wire), 6-10lb floro leader 2-3 ft long.
As for the wight, 1/2Oz is nice for deep water. For Castic, vintage sardines work OK.
Last weeks bait may have been two months in the freezer in a shopping bag!
At DVL, the bait has to be very fresh, not true for Castic lake.
Strange enough, last week now of the fish that I caught were on the meeter.
I metered fish form 10-60FT deep, but every one that I caught was on the bottom.
No flyline, no 2-10 cranks up.
That was last week.

Thanks Bob, I will have to give it a try after punishing Mr Strippy first!

KP

fishinone
10-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Close, Dump those tiny hooks, Use 3/0 (very thin wire), 6-10lb floro leader 2-3 ft long.
As for the wight, 1/2Oz is nice for deep water. For Castic, vintage sardines work OK.
Last weeks bait may have been two months in the freezer in a shopping bag!
At DVL, the bait has to be very fresh, not true for Castic lake.
Strange enough, last week now of the fish that I caught were on the meeter.
I metered fish form 10-60FT deep, but every one that I caught was on the bottom.
No flyline, no 2-10 cranks up.
That was last week.

Thanks Bob, I will have to give it a try after punishing Mr Strippy first!

KP

I've heard that the Castaic striper are hitting old bait right now but it's not the norm. Usually you have to have really good bait. On Saturday we had old bait too but they were hitting fresher bait more readily.

We caught fish from 3 cranks off of the bottom to 20 ft deep. I don't leave my bait laying on bottom unless I can't get bit just a little higher because i don't like being hung up.

cutbait
10-31-2013, 04:28 PM
s,,but i dought karlow can get it done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now that is funny *** ****!

Pyramid last week, I cruised the weed line and saw hundreds of kitties in 5-10 ft. Which goes with what you guys say albeit a different lake

fishinone
11-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Now that is funny *** ****!

Pyramid last week, I cruised the weed line and saw hundreds of kitties in 5-10 ft. Which goes with what you guys say albeit a different lake

It was funny but with the advice from trollmeister, I think that we will all be catching big cats. Even karlow.

TroutOnly
11-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Ron the only thing karlow's going to catch is a cold...................lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,