PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood Topwater Striper Bite Report + Video

carpanglerdude
10-26-2013, 09:23 PM
I fished Silverwood two nights back with relatively good success. The wind was minimal (5mph at most?) and the fish were boiling, albeit intermittently, throughout dusk and early evening.

I was using a Zara Spook, baby bass pattern lure and the schoolies were slapping it regularly. I had one or two larger models nail it but come unbuttoned, sadly. The water level forced me to stay up on the higher ground, needed a long rope tied to my stringer to keep 'em accessible from the drop-off. I landed 5 stripers, farmed and missed plenty more. Sometimes I wish the lake was a little closer; the topwater bite is very addicting!

Here is the video from the trip. As with most action cameras, it's hard to get quality footage in low-light, but you should be able to make out the stripers slaping and snapping at the Spook as I walk the dog with it. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kcGbGmIWk

There was quite a few other anglers fishing from the shore. It looked like most were soaking bait, although a couple were tossing lures, didn't appear to be topwater. I did not see other anglers catching fish during the short time I was there.

Also, there was a load of birds on the water, hanging around the points.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable evening. I haven't been to Silverwood in quite some time and it was great to tie into some stripers again, even if they weren't big. Silverwood is a great lake, one of my favorites!

goangels
10-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Great Video. I am looking to start striper fishing what do you suggest as a decent spinning rod/reel set up?

Jmac
10-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Hadn't been on the backside in awhile. Been working the swim beach lately and Miller Canyon for the LMB. Not to much action, been in a slump. Glad to hear the top water bite is back, always a fun time.

seal
10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
JMAC topwater has been excellent for a few weeks now, unfortunately they just aren't the same size as last years October & November topwater fish. They are getting bigger but not much to talk about, yet.....

carpanglerdude
11-18-2013, 07:26 AM
JMAC topwater has been excellent for a few weeks now, unfortunately they just aren't the same size as last years October & November topwater fish. They are getting bigger but not much to talk about, yet.....

Anyword on the topwater bite now? If patterns from previous years hold, I'm guessing its pretty nill?

seal
11-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyword on the topwater bite now? If patterns from previous years hold, I'm guessing its pretty nill?

Still occurring. But window is getting shorter I think. If topwater isn't working go with a small bait like a mini fluke under a clear bubble, topwaters way more fun but that rig seriously works.

seal
11-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Last nights efforts on topwater not so good, only a few burps. Think it's about time to put down the spooks and only bring out the big rigs. This is about the time of year the topwater will drop off.

carpanglerdude
11-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Last nights efforts on topwater not so good, only a few burps. Think it's about time to put down the spooks and only bring out the big rigs. This is about the time of year the topwater will drop off.

*Sigh* Only made it out to the Wood for the topwater twice this year. Well, hopefully more time to fish it next year!