PDA

View Full Version : sierra campgrounds???

simijab
10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
So it seems that they just decided to keep all the campgrounds in Mono and Inyo county closed after the government shut down. At least thats what reserve america said. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. Are they really all closed???

flytyingreloader
10-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Apparently so, sir. I made a couple calls to private camps, and those are still open--but how slammed they will be remains to be seen. I'm headed up tomorrow anyway, I'll figure something out about camping. Eff the USFS, I hope every one of their trucks gets a smashed windshield. That lot deserves no less.

Joshua
10-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Apparently so, sir. . Eff the USFS, I hope every one of their trucks gets a smashed windshield. That lot deserves no less.
I dont think the USFS was to blame. Smashed windshield?? Who do you think pays to fix them, Our tax dollars. I understand the frustration, but I think you are off target. It is your elected politicians that screwed it up.
\I am guessing that with the Gov't shutdown the camp hosts werent going to get paid and were told to leave. Once the camp host left, there is no staff to run them. I have talked to many camp hosts and they are usually retired folks from other states. Too difficult to bring them back. It was easier to just keep the campgrounds closed. The Gov't doesnt care about the income that they are losing. Just raise the debt ceiling. Retards!
I look at it as free camping. I know of serveral State/Federal campgrounds that have no gates. You can drive in and camp for FREEEE. Consider the free camping as an apology from the idiots in Washington.

Viejo
10-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Apparently so, sir. I made a couple calls to private camps, and those are still open--but how slammed they will be remains to be seen. I'm headed up tomorrow anyway, I'll figure something out about camping. Eff the USFS, I hope every one of their trucks gets a smashed windshield. That lot deserves no less.

Brilliant response....really shows some deep thinking on your part. The only "trucks" rolling now are fire and they were laid off like everyone else. They didn't get paychecks but their car, house and other payments kept coming in. "That lot deserves much better"

Ninety per cent of the federal campgrounds that have privatized would have closed this time of year anyway (which, by the way, had been mandated by congress which is why Fed camps are over $20 per night ) Here's hoping you get the quality of trip that you deserve.

IncredibleHuck
10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
So it seems that they just decided to keep all the campgrounds in Mono and Inyo county closed after the government shut down. At least thats what reserve america said. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. Are they really all closed???

Where were you going to head off to? Private campgrounds will still be open like Browns, Creekside RV park, Mammoth RV.... ETC.

And also there is dispersed camping as well.

HawgZWylde
10-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Brilliant response....really shows some deep thinking on your part. The only "trucks" rolling now are fire and they were laid off like everyone else. They didn't get paychecks but their car, house and other payments kept coming in. "That lot deserves much better"

Ninety per cent of the federal campgrounds that have privatized would have closed this time of year anyway (which, by the way, had been mandated by congress which is why Fed camps are over $20 per night ) Here's hoping you get the quality of trip that you deserve.

"They didn't get paychecks but their car, house and other payments kept coming in."

Welcome to what the private sector is and has been living in. And they are indeed getting paid, they just got a vacation and got paid when they got back, unlike those who lost, and continue to lose their jobs in the private sector...

sierraslam
10-23-2013, 11:35 AM
I heard that Tuff and Holiday campgrounds are open near Toms Place. I'd just get a hotel room, it's frickin freezing at night this time of year!

Viejo
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
"They didn't get paychecks but their car, house and other payments kept coming in."

Welcome to what the private sector is and has been living in. And they are indeed getting paid, they just got a vacation and got paid when they got back, unlike those who lost, and continue to lose their jobs in the private sector...

Advocating busting windows out of Forest Service trucks is ghetto. It's the kind of response that would be expected from an uneducated gang banger..not a sportsman or fisherman. These folks are worker bees who hustle from paycheck to paycheck...many of them seasonal employees. When they do get finally paid, they will be late on many of their payments. They are not to blame for the idiocy that has been taking place.

simijab
10-23-2013, 04:21 PM
We were planning on heading to the june loop area. Maybe I will just check at the local rv parks or stay down in bishop at pleasant valley

simijab
10-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Definitely wont be smashing windows just bummed I cant stay closer to the areas I fish. Maybe Bridgeport mono village. Problem is towing a trailer the whole way is a lot of money

dbfishing
10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Lundy lake is open with light crowds plenty of sites avialable

flytyingreloader
11-01-2013, 09:05 PM
So much for subtlety and nuance with this lot......I did not say anything about ME smashing windshields. Not my move. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the USFS wonks that largely hide behind voice-mail in their cubicle farms get inconvenienced by having their G-rides disabled. They have completely lost sight of who works for who.

Viejo
11-02-2013, 08:26 AM
So much for subtlety and nuance with this lot......I did not say anything about ME smashing windshields. Not my move. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the USFS wonks that largely hide behind voice-mail in their cubicle farms get inconvenienced by having their G-rides disabled. They have completely lost sight of who works for who.

"Eff the USFS, I hope every one of their trucks gets a smashed windshield. That lot deserves no less."

In the world I live in, a man makes a statement like that, he should own it. Because you obviously don't know many folks working for the USFS nor know what motivates 98% of them, you really just sound like a whiner. Your angst should be directed at the Congress which privatized campgrounds (after some expensive lobbying) around the country to benefit corporations that manage most federal campgrounds and have driven daily costs over $25. They are the ones that send their camp hosts home and closed the camps.

flytyingreloader
11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I do own it. It's still posted, correct? And thanks for the Civics 101 refresher, too.

I am well-acquainted with many USFS folks, and worked with them at length for many years. I had USFS mid-level maniacs attempt to prevent use of wheeled litters in wilderness areas during rescues of fallen hikers in my county, owing to some regulation against wheeled conveyances in wilderness areas. Idiots--better for VOLUNTEER RESCUE UNITS to exhaust themselves dragging in unsupported litters, then dragging the rescued victims out unsupported the same way, with all the attendant delays of treatment and hospitalization. They didn't much like helicopters doing rescue/extractions, either. THAT is the Forest Service I'm familiar with, since you brought the subject up. Their agency attitude seemed to be that the forests would be better off and their job a lot easier if the people would just stay in the city and not bother them. So, seeing the National Forest facilities getting shuttered at light-speed with the onset of the Congressional mind games was no surprise--disgusting, but not surprising in the least. I'm sure they smiled more broadly with every padlock they snapped shut on every access portal so equipped.